1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time, DS game ever be possible

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by rootwo62, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I doubt it would be possible. Mario 64 did not push the N64 anywhere near as much as OOT did. OOT was more or less the pinnacle of what the system could handle.

2. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Not really. It used a modified version of the Mario engine (I know that doesn't mean it wasn't more powerful) and it wasn't a really late game. Also, Mario 64 DS was graphically improved (the character models were more detailed) so the original obviously wasn't pushing the DS. And I agree it might be pushing the DS hardware (Hyrule field was huge) but I think it could be done.

3. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

Look at OoT and any of the following side-by-side and tell me OoT pushes the N64 to its limits:

Banjo-Tooie
    Jet Force Gemini
    Majora's Mask
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron
    Donkey Kong 64

OoT is about middle ground as far as the N64 goes. It doesn't utilize any of the advanced capabilities of the system, save maybe the mechanics behind the Lens of Truth or Mirror Shield.

As far as controls, I could picture quite a few different setups that could work, though would offer less flexibility in equip-items.

4. loosebolt

loosebolt New Member

maybe the controls wouldn't be so tricky, as you can use the LEFT button as the Z

5. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

(Deleted all my posts here because I get sick of people who don't know what I mean)

6. Fredbox

Yeah, and the DS has a d-pad. Your point is? I know they're not identical, but they can serve the same purpose in this game.

7. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

That flexibility is needed for the game, the controls would be far too finicky on the ds and end up being rubbish (they would probably need to add touch screen input for certain items, the ocarina, bow etc…), it was okay for M64 since the controls were nowhere near as complex.

With the game being as large as it is, it would be way too much work and pointless anyway imo.

No shit.

8. yoshi2889

You only can turn UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, right? Ah, well... You all don't want me here, so...

9. Loonylion

OOT uses both the stick and the D pad IIRC. For different purposes.

10. Luga

Luga Well-Known Member

This guy think they can make OOT for the DS because it used the same engine as SM64, seeing as SM64DS is reality, I think OOT if it uses SM64DS Engine tweaked a bit, can be done. Hell, get a bunch of homebrew devs on it, I bet-ya it can be done.

ALSO!
    Donkey Kong 64 DS will never be because of the Rights RAREWARE has on that game.

WHERE THE HELL IS STARFOX WII!?
    I'M NOT BUYING ANOTHER NINTENDO CONSOLE UNTIL I GET MY STARFOX WII!!!

11. Loonylion

I very strongly doubt OOT uses the same engine as SM64

12. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

the d-pad had little to no purpose in oot, just scrolling in the inventory, when you look at all of the main controls it isn't even listed.

13. Fredbox

It does. It's a modified version, but it's basically the same engine.

14. xelados

Fredbox is right; OoT's engine is a modified version of the Mario 64 engine. That engine was the basis for Wind Waker's, which was the basis for Twilight Princess's. It wouldn't surprise me if the next Zelda for the Wii uses parts of the Galaxy engine.

That said, the Control Pad was only used to scroll inventory, and nobody would really miss that feature.

OoT never required more than 2 items to be used in tandem, so the lack of a third equip-item would not hurt the game any. Here are some controls just off the top of my head:

Quick Note: The ocarinas and aiming items could be controlled via the touch screen; the latter in the same vein as Twilight Princess. You'd press the item's button to enter the touch-screen "aiming mode", and tap to fire. To exit you could just tap B or something.

Control Pad: Move
    L: targeting
    R: Shield
    Select: Toggle map (or call Navi)

A: Action
    B: Sword
    X and Y: equip-items
    Start: Menu
    L and R would scroll menus just like Z and R did in the original.

I could see this working pretty well. The only downside is that you'd end up pausing more often.

15. adios

adios Member

Damn, dude, you just don't get it, it's a REMAKE not emulator or converter. You just don't understand what the OP are asking.
    REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE REMAKE

16. yoshi2889

I said already: You all don't want me here, so... So..

17. xelados

I don't think anyone's said they don't want you here yoshi. As far as I can tell, they're just trying to help you understand. I'm not sure how long you've been gaming or how old you are, so you might not be familiar with the concept of a remake. Put shortly, the system that the remake appears for doesn't have to be able to emulate the original system. That's often the case, but it's not required. For instance, the SNES couldn't emulate the NES directly, but remakes of all 4 of the NES Mario games were made and crammed into Super Mario All-Stars. Same games, remade graphics, controls, and features. That's what a remake is.

The same thing was done for the Marios on the GBA, except they were mostly ports. The GBA can't emulate the SNES, but is similar enough in power (much like the DS is to the N64) that it pulled off games that appeared on the system.

I hope this clears things up for you.

18. yoshi2889

Look at my sign^ I am 10 and i already gamed my whole life....

19. paisios

paisios Well-Known Member

no of course>>
    -

20. adios

adios Member

I hope he does understand it. Nice explanation.

So, you spent 10 years on gaming yet you don't know what a remake? 10 years of gaming doesn't bring you any good unless you gain the experience of playing with multiple console and mastering it one by one ( or familiar playing with different console ). You should know what the OP was asking by your "gaming" experience if it's as what you told us.