1. This forum is in read-only mode.

The art of covering music

Discussion in 'Forum Games, Jokes & Random' started by CloudBoy101, Jan 17, 2008.

1. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

First off, I'm a big fan of Classic Rock. Music nowadays sucks. Rock doesn't come from the heart, it comes from the crotch. I was watching The tube just now, and a really bad cover of "we're not gonna take it" started playing on a commercial, and trust me, I wanted to puke my guts out. Why oh why do we have to go through life listening to bad covers of some really kick ass songs. My hopes are, in the future, bands will cover the crap we have nowadays and turn it into something.........well, better than it is now. There's certain bands I like nowadays that really rock. Tenacious D, Group X (some funny shit) Bad Religion, and The Libertines (although now longer a band), and some few others. My point is, bands back then put their life in their music (Rush to name one) and it seems now bands just slap crap together and call it a song. Maybe I get pissed at this kinda stuff because I love playing music (covers mostly, I'm not very creating when it comes to writing lyrics). Anywho, tell me what YOU think about the music industry of today, and hell, some of the music you love with all your bloody heart.

ROCk ON,

Cloudboy101

2. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

dude i love you! (non gay). The other day i actually heard the roxanne cover by fall out boy, i just about spewed. Unfortunately there has only been one modern day cover that I have really enjoyed. on the album SAWDUST from the killers they do a cover of dire straits 'romeo and Juliet' thats amazing. but most of the best covers have come out of similar old skool bands. Nirvana's cover of david bowies 'the man who sold the world' is the best ive heard. and if youve got the time look up on you tube The Foo Fighters cover of stairway to heaven. its more of a laugh than anything but keep in mind it was a talk show and it was an impromptu request so he wasnt prepared, nonetheless he absolutely nails the solo!

linked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFU2Vzvw77c

3. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

I agree also guys, there is soooo much crappy music now days. Especially rap, I don't listen to rap anymore but it's almost impossible to not hear or see it from radio, TV and such.

i like metal, alot!! Lamb of God, Sepultura/Soulfly, Slipknot, Deftones...etc.

Anyway, one of the best covers I like was from a band called "Deadsy."
    It's some weird band that my little brother listened to alot a few years ago.

They played a cover of "Tom Sawyer" from Rush.

Pretty good cover, damn good song! IMO ;)

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

nice, i love the deftones, an old fave of mine.

5. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

Yeah man, reminds me of high school. I learned to play alot of those songs and riffs Carpenter the guitar player has made.

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

so true......

7. jadin72

jadin72 Well-Known Member

you guys know ive never heard a good cover of "paint it black"? EVER?!? but seriously, cloudboy, i know where youre coming from. im fans of band like metallica, ac(lightningbolt)dc, queen (yes queen), led zep and pink floyd. the world will never make those kind of bands, bands we will be listening to in 20 years tiime, ever again.

i think the problem lies in the record companies. they make sooo much money by just churing out hundreds of one-hit-wonder bands everyby the time they get to the scale of say, jt (just an example, i couldnt think of a recent enough artist thats done nearly as well as him) the record company isnt really making as much money, because he has the pocket to produce his own songs, and he makes all the money, whereas a one hit wonder band will remain in the record companies debt for years to come.

AND THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS TOO FLOODED WITH EMO AND CONTEMPORARY ROCK!!!! sure the chicks like them for like FIVE MINUTES and then BAM, what happened to 30 seconds to mars? red jumpsuit apparatus? to name JUST A FEW

btw, i love tenacious d too ;D

8. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

hey id never thought that some of the crap music could have been down to the record companys but shit its so true! and yeah ive nver heard a good paint it black cover (my fave stones song too :p) and im the biggest pink floyd fan youll ever find :)

9. CloudBoy101

I let you guys know also.............I fucking hate new age metal. Screamo I believe it's called. Funny though, I heard a cool screamo version of Paint in Black lol, I'll look for it so you guys can judge for yourself.

10. Reider

Reider Modereider

:( I <3 screamo. Its so awesome if its done right(Admittedly, there are some pretty horrible sounding Screamo bands too).

I don't hold it against you though, we all have different tastes in music

11. CloudBoy101

I can never understand what their saying, and lyrics are an extreme credential when it comes to music.

12. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

here is the real truth. the reason covers don't sound good are because you love the original and it feels like an abomination. but people who have not heard the original will like it more maybe.
    there is nothing different about the music industry now then there every was its always over done a type of music then moved to whatever the next fad is. the reason your moaning is because what is out now you don't like.
    there is no point having a go at the industy just cause you don't some music.

MUSIC TASTE IS A MATTER OF OPINON!!!!!!!!

my music collection is very eclectic i have all types of music and i like different things at different times i mostly listen to metal (not old shit but then again now and then it is) but when I'm not in the mood I'll listen to something else. my favorite bands are those that used odd time signatures and complicated composure because i understand music (which has currently made me get very board with music with 4-4 beats which is almost everything) but to most people it sounds random and they don't like it but i don't moan at them it there opinion.

because you listen to stuff with plain bland riffs so the lyrics are the main focal point (not having a go that's the truth)
    if your someone who likes the composure lyrics mean nothing, i have lots of music that is just instrumental and it is just as good if not better then music with lyrics.

this whole post might as well be closed because its just going to start a flame war and again because MUSIC TASTE IS A MATTER OF OPINION and if you have an opinion on music it tends to be one sided to the kind you like.
    I'd say your the problem not the industry if you can't see the creative talent in all music, even shitty pop has a producer with talent making it catchy so it sells. and i know what you mean allot of music does lack a bit of heart but that's stuff in the charts, but if you look at the real industry it not in the charts anymore its online. there are bands out there which are unsigned and have bigger fanbases then those in the charts because of site like myspace.

i can see where you are coming from i was like you once but i opened my eyes and found out I'm not the only person in the world.

please don't bother arguing with me, i know more about the music industry then anyone here (probably ::) )
    and again music, opinion a matter of??????? (pats on the head)

oh i just remembered, seeing as allot of you on here are Nintendo fans you might like this band. their fans call the style nintedcore as it uses midi sound keyboard just like the old Nintendo games and crosses it with metal.
    listen to the song murder and you'll know what i mean
    http://www.myspace.com/horsetheband

and yes it has shouting in it so if you don't like it just don't say anything as again its your opinion.
    by the way just to clarafy this is not one of the bands that i love or listen to just showing as a point of interest for nintendo/metal fans

13. CloudBoy101

The point of music isn't to sell it. NOWADAYS it is, but you probably don't understand because I'm guessing your not a musician. Well, I am. What I am trying to say is, "bands" don't put any thought into their music. I understand people like that crap, but all I wanted was OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINION on the matter. I guess all I can say is, CRAP SELLS.

Doubt it.

14. equitypetey

your a moron (sorry had to say it) i'm a musicion to and you obviously didn't read anything i said. i agread with you i was just making the point its crap to you other people like it thats why it makes millions. and the point is to sell it if its your job!!! and bands do put thought into there music its just not what you like. oh and by the way you keep saying nowadays but sorry to burst your bubble but its always been that way. and yes crap sells but again it crap to you. just ike something you like someone else will think is crap and say how does that sell. you also seemed to miss the bit where i said selling means nothing as bands from the middle of nowhere with no record contract can have bigger fan bases then pop stars.

you weren't asking for peoples opinion your looking for people to agree with you. and you get shitty at those who challenge you.
    stop with the getting shitty don't flame and open your eyes
    i can sympathys with you as i used to think the same and still do sometimes when i listen to the radio but when you can undersand what it is to compose and try to produce that and sell it you might just be enlightend

i also agread that covers can be done badly but the reason is you love the original so much i bet there is music you have liked that you haven't even realized its a cover or has a sample from an old song.
    some covers are done very well and have alot of thought in to them with the bands own spin on it. but altho the song is good it will still not be liked by the fans of the original because they love the original and it sound wrong to them. a good example of this is maybe a perfect circle's album emotive which has lots of covers in it, now on this album it has a cover of imagine by john lennon it pure cleverness, it really shows the true meaning and feeling behind the lyrics but when i spoke to people who loved the original they where like "whats this shit"

do you not get my point, if you don't your blind but hopefull you'll get it soon and please read this time I AGREED WITH YOU just pointing out where you may need to open your eyes. but if you don't want to then ok thats your opinion and you being blind is mine. just please get what i'm saying i'm not having a go just trying to point out that what your saying is not completely corect

15. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Flame war. :eek: Not being the G-Nazi right now, but how long did it take you to type that last post?

16. equitypetey

a very long time i'm a slow typer i get very fed up when people talk bull

17. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

And your sense of correct English deteriorates as you cannot think straight when you are aggravated. I will stop G-Naziing now. :p

18. CloudBoy101

Let's let it go. Did anyone even read the last part?!?! Name of some of your favourite bands, people!

19. equitypetey

yeah i know my English goes tits up when i angry cause i don't bother to correct it.

and OK lets let it go big hug to make up. i don't want to be angry i love my romulation buddys ;D

favorite bands mmmm....

sikth http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=4556792 (atho sounds like horrible shouty music the composure is unbelievable and the technical skill is unbeatable especially the drummer. awesome live)

cry for silence http://www.myspace.com/cryforsilence (saw them live supporting sikth awsome)

periphery http://www.myspace.com/periphery

these are my favorite bands at the moment but i'm also liking at to mo Kate Nash (pop surprisingly)

20. CloudBoy101

I'll have a look at those Myspace's, equitypetey.

My favourite bands..... The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Tenacious D, Buckethead (I listen to him before he put Jordan on Guitar Hero 2, he was a extremely underground artist), Queen, Rush (now thats technicality), loads more........My absolute favoirite artist of all time..............David Bowie.