1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Super Easy Way to get games working on an R4.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DragoDracini, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sillyfuzzy

sillyfuzzy New Member

I'm new to all of this and I DID FOLLOW ALL THE TUTORIALS for any of you who say to do so. Still have a problem. When I select a game file in WinRar, click EXTRACT TO, put the R4 into the DS all I get is a black screen that says "Couldn't find_DS_MENU.DAT" and when I try to open the file on my PC I get an error message (doesn't matter what game!) The archive is either in unknown format or damaged. I'm totally bummed :(

2. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Hi,

Did you do everything correctly when you set up the R4?

DS_MENU.DAT is a system file; you absolutely need it to do anything with your R4.

Here's how you set up your R4 with the newest Firmware:

Go to the R4i Site and scroll down until you see the latest R4 Firmware (latest is 1.23). Do not download the R4i FW; it will not work, and you will just mess up your R4.

Next, extract all the files into your Desktop, or some other location.
    Copy all files onto the R4. That means the 'moonshl' and '_system_' directories, and the '_DS_MENU.DAT' and '_DS_MSHL.NDS' files.

Finally, copy all your ROMs or media files (.mp3 for music, .dpg for videos) to the root directory (that means, the initial folder you see when you open up the SD card). If you copy them to some other folder, you might have to scroll some until you find them when using the R4.

If the R4 still says that message, then it is either defective or a cheap clone, and not the real deal.

Hope this helps,
    WinRAR

PS this reply took me a while since I was figuring out whether this forum uses BBCode or HTML.
    Obviously, BBCode.
    I do not like to press the buttons at the top, since I can't use them when Quick Replying. ;)

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Make sure it's the right firmware. https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

4. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

No, see, Linfox is not up-to-date on the latest Firmware for the R4/R4i; if you go to the official R4i site (http://www.r4li.com/) you'll see the latest R4 firmware is 1.23 and the latest R4i firmware is 1.25.

Both FWs are English, so there's no chance of you not understanding what to do with it.

If a game does not work, try the Max Cross method, DSLazy, etc.
    Remember: You don't know it doesn't work until you try everything.

5. sillyfuzzy

sillyfuzzy New Member

I didn't have anything with my R4 that said I had to set it up. If I would have...That would have made sense:)
    I've downloaded the firmware and will let you know how it does.

6. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Yeah, see, sillyfuzzy, the reason I said how to set it up is because it sounded like you were missing the _DS_MENU.DAT file, which is an important system file and should have come with the firmware. If you didn't download any firmware what.so.ever, then, needless to say, the R4 wouldn't work.

7. anandjones

I believe only one person updates the list. Also, that 1.25 update just came out today.

8. sillyfuzzy

sillyfuzzy New Member

IT WORKS! YEAAAAHHH! I bought my R4 online from www.ishopvideogame.com
    Great price, free shipping (and fast). The box states it includes the R4, 2 GB Micro SD, Micro SD USB card reader and CD electronic user manual. Unfortunately...this CD is not included. (I don't know if Customs has a ban on any CD's coming in to the USA from HongKong). But now it works and I'm totally psyched!
    Thanks sooooooooooooo much!!! ;)

9. anandjones

Usually they contained firmware, which is why they removed them from original packages, since the firmware would have been outdated.

10. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Yeah, mine didn't come with a CD, either...

So yeah, turns out I had to downgrade back to 1.18 'cuz the 1.23 didn't work with Kirby: Canvas Curse for some reason....

If I encounter a game I really wanna play, but can't, then I'll upgrade to - what'd you say? - 1.25.

For now, though, I'll stick to the old, trustworthy firmware.

And glad to hear it works for you, sillyfuzzy!

11. black dragon 1

black dragon 1 Well-Known Member

I don't have the 1.25 version but the 1.23.
    All games work fine.
    For which games do I need the 1.25 version?

12. xcx4x

xcx4x New Member

thanks a lot!

13. peterp50

peterp50 Member

What is the best card for the ds?

14. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

For a regular DS, the general consensus is that the CycloDS Evolution is the best.
    For a DSi, you're probably best off with an M3i Zero or Supercard DSONEi.

15. nemesis11

nemesis11 Well-Known Member

i bought an r4 and put system files and until today all the roms work,no need to patches and dldi patch!!!maybe its magic lol

16. anandjones

Depends on what games you've been trying. DLDI patching is only for homebrew as well.

17. nemesis11

nemesis11 Well-Known Member

i know but everything works!i only used kernall 1.19

18. armada92

armada92 Member

what is kernel 1.19? i thought the newest was only 1.18

19. anandjones

It's unofficial.

20. armada92

armada92 Member

where can you get it?