1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Subs and Dubs in Video Gaming and Anime

Discussion in 'Rants' started by AnimeboyX3, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

You also forgot "get drunk and go on MSN".

2. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

strange that i always put subtitles on in games, i think its because i can read faster than they speak.
    I prefer dubs in anime because it goes in time with the film and flows better

3. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

It's probably because you can skip it in games (that's what i usually end up doing anyway)

4. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Subtitles are not benefical as most people think. Some people argue that they help you learn languages and stuff. But what you're getting is only experience in reading subs. Dubbing on the other side, might be innacurate, or have adaptions that don't fall into the game concept at all. On a practice note, imagine subbing a Woody Allen film for exemple. Most of his films have dialog from begning to end and sometimes with more than one people talking at the same time. If you would sub that, the whole screen would be filled with text.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

In my case subtitles are often the difference between me understanding whats being said or not. Even when the film is in English. They have ways of subtitiling multiple people talking at once. (different colours and prefixing the text with the character's name).

6. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how do you subtitle multiple people speaking without the subs getting in the way of the screen? That's a game you can't win. One time, the subtitles will take the whole screen space.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its never a problem. If its lots of people talking mixed together (like a crowd), then the subtitles say 'crowd noise' or 'crowd talking', if its distinct people then they subtitle what is being said. only 2 or 3 lines of subtitles are visible at any one time and the scroll rate changes according to how long the sentences are.

8. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

That's one problem. In order to summarize stuff so legends work on standards, you end up losing most of the dialogue significance. I ran into this problem when watching a subbed version of FLCL. There's one scene where we have a lot people talking complete different phrases and sentences at the same time, and each speech overlaps another one that was there before. And there was only 2 2-line subs on the screen. How would you know what are everyone saying? And worse, if this part had significant plot value I lost it, since subbing couldn't handle all this at the same time using only 4 lines of sub(2 on the top of the screen and two on the bottom).

9. green_panda

green_panda Member

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. XD I can totally see your point on how some dubs are better in Japanese.

10. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

most people that use subtitles have to due to a problem like being deaf and they are used to it and can read really fast and another reason is just bad work by the person who made them not taking into effect that some people with disabilities rely on their work..