1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Subs and Dubs in Video Gaming and Anime

Discussion in 'Rants' started by AnimeboyX3, Apr 21, 2010.

1. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

My first rant I hope I don't get into trouble for this but here goes.Takes a deep breath............*Casts Haste,Protect,Shell,Region,Mighty Guard*

When it comes to gaming and anime,PPL tend to whine about how much the dubs suck.I'm honestly getting annoyed with everyone bitching about how much they think dubs suck.I still don't see what's bad about them.I mean Ear Rape?What Ear Rape?Bad Voice Acting? lol whut?Voices terrible in general for said characters? If the voices were terrible they would not sale.Don't like it dubbed?Tough deal with it.Dubs are going to happen because here are said reasons along with my reasons

1.PPL don't have to look at the bottom of the screen just to know what the characters are saying.
    2.Everyone isn't exactly at the same reading level some read fast some read slow.It's a pain to continuously pause the video,or DVD,or Game or whatever just to read the whole text.
    3.It's a language ppl can understand you can just watch it instead of reading it,That's what mangas are for.
    4.Sometimes you can miss out on what's going on because you were too busy reading what they were saying.
    5.If an anime is dubbed you and a group of friends can just watch it comfortably without having to squeeze yourselves in front of the screen just to see what their saying.

That's my reasons along with other reasons I believe we have dubs.Also I personally have no beef with ppl who only like their subs.I just can't stand annoying ppl who bitch about how much dubs suck and attack ppl for liking dubs.I myself LOVE Dubs.

However I don't hate subs I'll only go for a sub if a game or anime is worth it being in subbed like Super Robot Taisen Endless Frontier or Clannad.However if a dub is available I'll toss aside the sub for the dub in a heartbeat.

Now I'm not justifying those who hate subs and love dubs,Because some of them take things to the extreme lol Weeaboo anyone?Yeah like what happened to me in some of the other forums I've been too.I've been called a Weeaboo for watching a subbed anime.Kodomo No Jikan as I recall.Yeah because I told some of the guys it was subbed they went lol Weeaboo.

So that annoys me and yeah I've been attacked by dub haters as well.So yeah.I just want to ask how come ppl just can't like both and stop bashing the other one?Seriously it's so annoying.

Rant over now I feel much better now that's out of my system.

P.S.This is my first rant so I hope I didn't break any rules or offend anyone.If I did I apologize and mods can move the topic if they please.

2. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Most dubs are fine, there is the odd one that's messed up though. Subs can be kind of annoying sooetimes, but I don't think it really matters one way or another it all comes down to personal choice in the end.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

personally I have great difficulty understanding whats being said without subtitles (with the exception of some TV broadcasts where theres a presenter talking to the camera).

4. Reider

Reider Modereider

There is only one game I've ever preferred the japanese voices on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Everything else is just fine for me.

5. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

Eww....

I see what you mean.But yeah everything else is cool lolz

6. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I;m sure it's not that bad

you're probably exaggerating.

*clicks*

oh......

7. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

ahhh... i've never seen a game with subtitle... hmmm, maybe for a movie, but gaming, no... are the FF series balloon voices also called subs?

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Only one movie (made like an anime) proved jap language with english subs worked best.

Tokyo Gore police, the english voice acting felt weird (because you still got the original jap actors running around) and the voices have been used in countless anime before, thus felt TOO weird...it was weird enough as it is.

Also a few mates of mine dislike the dubs because apparently they aren't done as the original language done, compare fan subs to commercial dubs and there is a big differance.

I prefer english audio though thank you, I dislike subs :p

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Some japanese games have terrible voice acting, Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, and a couple others I don't care to remember. While I'd prefer the voice acting to be better, it's absolutely excruciating to hear crappy voice actors or annoying voices. Usually a japanese option would hide the bad voice acting as I can't tell what's good or bad in Japanese. If I remember right Star Ocean 4 did not have that option.

That being said, I put in subtitles all the time, japanese or not. Sometimes I can't hear the voices very well.

Also a lot of kid's anime (like Bakugon or that Spider Riders shit) have the worst voice acting ever. Well not ever, but it's pretty bad.

Huh? WAT.

Heavy Rain is a good game, if not great if you're into that kind of thing. But a lot of the voice acting is bad, I mean, characters pick up an accent, and then lose it. Or they have no emotion, or they just can't make their lines believable. That being said, this bogs down the game A LOT considering that the game is so focused on achieving a movie like quality. Movies with bad acting still sell (Watchmen) and so do games. To say that if voice acting sucked then the game would not sell, like wow, what are you basing that off exactly?

Also FFX had horrible voice acting imo, game sold great.

1. k, I know Slumdog Millionaire had a great subtitle feature (even though it's english I had subtitles on because I had to be quiet). The subtitles would sorta be in the focus of where you should be focusing on a scene, it's hard to describe but it worked well. You can tell work went into it.
    2. For people who can read quickly, it's no big deal.
    3. What's the problem with reading? As far as I know, reading's good for you. Sweden for example has one of the highest literacy rates, subtitled movies are a contributing factor.
    4. Not if you can read quickly and efficiently.
    5. The subtitles are big enough for you not to do that.

Also in a lot of cases, once the anime becomes localized in NA, it loses part of it's meaning or gets edited for violent content or sex. Damn you 4Kids etc etc.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

6. Deaf people often can't understand what is being spoken, if they can even hear it. But they can read subtitles.

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Forgot about that.

I like to have subtitles in my games, a lot of the time. Because when I'm talking to someone or something I don't want to have to not be able to hear the voices, so instead I can read and talk at the same time. Although for movies, unless they're foreign and not French, I'll have dubbed.

Also, any Bethesda game has terrible voice acting.

12. gaynorvader

Yeah, I always have subtitles too. Sometimes some background noise can make you miss a part of some speech.

Oblivion had awesome voice acting...for the first 5 mins of gameplay. :)

13. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Don't they have like, only a handful of voice actors in Oblivion/Fallout 3? I swear I heard that they had 13 voice actors for Fallout 3. It wouldn't surprise me if it was either.

14. gaynorvader

Possibly, I just remember Patrick Stewart! ;)

15. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

I like both subs and dubs. The only thing that I find strange is:

If you're watching on a computer, can't you just click a few seconds back? That's what I do if I'm eating or talking to someone.

To me, subs/raw feel more natrual. They are intended for the Japanese in the first place. I enjoy it. I took Japanese for 3 years in High School (Quit this year, thank god), but I understand quite a bit so I've adapted it and sometimes I can just watch and read time-to-time. There are some dubs way better than subs, like DBZ...oh my goodness. Just the thing I notice, in a lot of mainstream anime, Johnny Yong Bosch, Derek Stephen Prince and Michelle Ruff do A LOT of voice acting and it gets kind of noticeable.

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Being a mom, I'd have to do this a lot. Which would be a lot less efficient.

17. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

That's true, I guess it just depends who you are! Didn't know any Moms watched Anime!

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Moms also have sex, use drugs, go to parties, play music, read, draw, and sex.

19. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Forgot the masturbating part.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

That's indirectly implied in the double mention of sex.