1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Street foods

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 23, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hot dogs (either on a stick, in a bun, inside a waffle etcetera) are usually sold by cart vendors aren't they? So that makes them street foods or atleast something you get at a ball park

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

yeah you can get them from ball parks but even those vendors have to be certified by the state.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

It depends on where you're from, as such policies also differ, here in the Philippines, as long as your stall or cart's not blocking traffic, you can sell food wares. Say fancy some Balut? Which is a Duck egg with a little duck chick inside, hmm yummy, really ;D

4. KeirinRacer

KeirinRacer Active Member

Man...Street food!

Why is it that S.E Asia is the King of Street food stalls?  You go to Taiwan and they're everywhere selling their wares, same with Singapore, Korea, HK, Malaysia, China, Thailand, Philippines, Macau.  It's not just one kind either!  There's a multitude of culinary delights on offer be it from traditional to region-augmented fast food.

Over here in HK I love curried fish balls.  Fish by products mashed up and balled into bouncy spheres of gourmet goodness!  They are usually broiled in a wiked piquant spicy bath of curry then skewered onto a stick so you can walk and eat.  Nothing beats devouring all that quick and tasty goodness to fuel your nights out!

One thing I can't stand is the dreaded "Smelly Tofu".  Man I can't even begin to describe this culinary abomination to the uninitiated.  Imagine a block of regular tofu left out to rot it's heart out, turn black/brown and to start sprouting greenish mould all over.  Then some smart aleck decides that the offending effluvium is very becoming and deep fries the monstrosity and serves it with chilli sauce.  There are even laws against cooking the stuff without applying for a permit first. Yes It is THAT Offensive to the human senses. OMG It is extremely foul.

P.S Balut! Man I tried that.  Why is it that people has no qualms what-so-ever about eating a regular chicken egg???  BUT when it comes to a far superior product in terms of Nutritional value and associated "bedroom" boosting beliefs people start a war over it???  People=hypocratic&dumb. 

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

We have fishballs here to, along with another version Squidballs. No they're not "Squid's balls" :D , they're made of flour with some squid meat all mashed together to form delicious balls sold everywhere. These are usually served with a variety of sauces ranging from spicy, sour & sweet.

6. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

when i went to Mexico the food was 90% street food so i had no choice if i was to eat it or not. i ate these hella good enchiladas and tortilla stuff. people told me not to buy the street food but i didn't really care and it turned out great

7. Karl202623

Karl202623 Well-Known Member

I'm Pretty Upper Middle Class,But I Think Street Foods Are really Good!They're Bad for The Health Though.

8. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

How about kikiam?

9. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

What a great topic. I must taste them if I ever go to Phillipines ^^

In Indonesia, street vendor is so common that you'll find it everywhere, even in front of your house, they went around the neighborhood usually in the morning and afternoon. The food they sell varies largely from rice porridge to some kind of dim sum called shio may.

The most common one is meatballs. Here, we eat it with meat broth and usually accompanied with noodles or rice vermicelli. Best eaten when it's raining with lots of chilli sauce... Yum!

Then, there's chicken/lamb satay. I heard it's pretty popular among tourists. It's a small pieces of chicken/lamb fillet skewered, then grilled on a charcoal, then you eat it with peanut sauce and sweet soy sauce. Really recommended.

There's still a lot more here, fried rice, chicken noodles, cassava chips... We have hamburgers and hot dogs street stands too, although it's not very common.

10. rebornalone

rebornalone Well-Known Member

How about chicken balls?

11. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

Squid balls, fish balls, kikiam, taho...

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Taho by the way is Tofu whey soup in English.

13. MysticMaja

MysticMaja Well-Known Member

I love barbecue, kwek-kwek, chicharon and taho. Mmm :9

14. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

My grandpa's neighbour has a lok-lok stall and a sugercane stall
    I always drink sugarcane and eat the small eggs

15. kamuikurou

We call the soybean cake "tahu" here. One of the popular street food involving this is "tahu gejrot". Fried tahus are cut up to pieces and served with spicy thin chilli, garlic, and shallot sauce. It's good. :D

16. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

Why doesn't Australia have keekee neenee took nagng nagn
    It sounds delicious T____T

17. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

im now going to buy some banana cue there bananas that are fried and dipped in melted brown sugar
    then putted on sticks

18. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

That sounds so good >.<

19. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Satay?
    dun forgot the "chicken ass".. XD

20. kamuikurou

Satay? Yes please. Goat satay here is especially delicious. :D A must try for tourists. :)