1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Square-Enix finally does something about the ROM Modifying community

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 10, 2009.

1. dracky w

dracky w Well-Known Member

I was being Super sarcastic

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

PROTIP: Sarcasm isn't conveyed well over the internet.

3. dracky w

i noticed

4. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

5. Tsenzei

Tsenzei Member

I find that that's pretty much the nature of things. For example, recently the Associated Press decided to change its policy to "crack down" on unlicensed use of their articles and more specifically Headlines (apparently they never heard of Fair Use), citing that they figure if Google can make a "multi-billion dollar business" off headlines there's no reason that they shouldn't be able to have a multi-hundred million dollar business.

Go go "nonprofit" corporations.

Essentially it comes down to copyright control and precedent. Functionally, fan-made translations of games into a foreign language (whether it be into English, or Spanish, or Lilliputian), will have no negative effects on sales. Those few sales that might be lost from a "free" translated copy finding its way into the hands of someone that would be able to buy and understand the untranslated copy as well (obviously, someone who is multilingual) would be off-set by increased interest and sales, and potentially ad-based revenue on their websites/media outlets for the software.

Legally, being permissive about "intellectual property" would weaken their stance in courts and in settling suits. In short, its a purely dick maneuver, constituting this: "If we aren't making money off it, nobody can have it."

6. dracky w

All im going to say if Squere reads this is "Imitation is the sincerist form of flattery"

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

What groups like the team at Chrono Compendium are doing is not imitation as they didn't make a game from scratch. What they did is take an existing game, played with elements of that game & modified that game to create a new game with slightly different elements.

Anyway if they (game companies) decide to take action & shutdown all existing fan modification groups' projects at least there's one ROM mod they can never touch as the modified game has no striking semblance to the original game that was modified to produce it, that game being Dragoon X Omega II, but this game's bitch hard, even in it's "Final" release version. On that note anyone got an "Infinite Arca" cheat code you can give me?

8. rchuncleskeleton

rchuncleskeleton Well-Known Member

Let's just put it this way, since their merger with Enix, Square has yet to produce anything worthy of their loyal CT fans. Enix ruined SquareSoft and this has always been my belief, there's no point in them shutting down fan games or remakes....it's not hurting their market share. Even if they do ever make another CT game, which is really unlikely, the fan games aren't going to keep people from buying the official thing. I say screw SquareEnix and they should be boycotted for the tactics they've taken against fan games, Specifically I'm talking about the RPGMaker XP Game "Chrono Crisis/Chrono Ark". Square should really be ashamed of themselves.

9. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That is what could have been 3D Chrono, if Square had not stopped it 5 years ago. And yet, they haven't bothered to do anything with the Chrono license, and at the same time, it's a license better than the overly milked Final Fantasy series, IMO. Unbelievable.

10. tehuber1337

Does Chrono Trigger DS not count?

11. Naridar

Naridar Member

In my opinion, these fans who made this wonder that's Chrono Resurrection shouldn't have stopped and should have replied "kiss my @ss, Square Enix, if you're so lazy that you don't give a damn to what fans are wanting, you don't deserve to be respected". SE can do literally NOTHING! The internet's good enough at hiding your personal data if you want to. Come on, Resurrection team, show us all that you're not afraid of a barking mongrel (that being SE) and finish this wonderful game! You're so close to it! Hide your identities if you must, but remember: that they're telling you they'll sue you, does not mean they're more bite than bark.

12. tehuber1337

Chrono Resurrection was just a way of expressing the fans' love for Chrono Trigger and, by extension, Square. Why would they give such a disrespectful response? They'd be stabbing their own ideologies in the back.

13. xmasterchefx

xmasterchefx Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? It's a port with slapped on new content.

14. tehuber1337

Regardless, it's still a use of the Chrono Trigger license.

15. xenfyre

xenfyre New Member

Hello folks. new here, just thought I might add my 2 cents on this topic, it seems to me that "generally" game developers just want people to play their games no matter what language its in, the more the better, but game producers just want people to buy their games no matter how crappy they are. jst a thought, thanks

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

What is this.. I don't even..

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I actually understand this-but you need to keep in mind the games are 'region made'.

If it's only in jap it's meant to stay there.

These guys make no sence at all to me-if not for licencing issues...

18. blainy

blainy New Member

they may as well band the re-sale of old copies of their games as well. SE sure arent getting a cut of any CT SNES carts sold on ebay or anywhere else..

19. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

As long as it's copyrighted, they will still get mad.

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Woah Cool!

That would have been awesome!