1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Square-Enix finally does something about the ROM Modifying community

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 10, 2009.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Okay I had mixed emotions when I read this news article from RHDN:

http://www.romhacking.net/?category=&month=&year=&newstext=CHRONO+COMPENDIUM&page=news

First of, I'm happy to see that game developers are finally seeing the hard work ROM Fan Translators & ROM Modifying groups have done over the years, but for what reason? Surely they won't profit from it as these hacks & modifications will never be permanently removed from the internet. And why would they want these groups to stop fan translations of games that never got off Japan's shores & onto the greater world? It seems they've finally realised that it is not enough to say that because a game just has too many Japanese elements in it that it won't do well abroad. But say ROM modifiers do stop making translations, would these gaming companies assure us that they will localize every & all of their games for us? My guess is no, with licensing issues, referring to the Super Robot Taisen series to overcome, I highly doubt it ???

As for ROM Modification, shouldn't they be happy that people like their games so much that fans themselves try expanding the world their game has made? Take for example Star Wars, Star Trek & maybe Harry Potter. Die hard fans may fantasize that they are Characters from said movies, but there are still others who try & create their own characters that fit in the world those movies made. Take me for example, I love Star Wars so much that I made up my own character, Darth Cahos, a very sinister Sith Warrior.

It seems Square-Enix has just rode the same band wagon Nintendo once rode but up to this day, they are still fighting & apparently losing.

It's a shame really, Square-Enix "hoping" they'd cash in with their rehashes & spin offs because the creative side of their company (I'm talking about Hironobu Sakaguchi & his pals) have left the company thus drying out any creative juices still left in them are pointing fingers at these awesome people who made it possible for us to play gems only the Japanese were able to bask in before.

Shame on you Square-Enix, you big Douche :p

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

True, in other fan fiction, people only use either characters from say something like Star Wars or the nuances from its world & make an alternate story from it. In ROM fan fiction, the people involved are actually using a physical copy of someone else's work. So this might be something totally new. It isn't direct plagiarism but kinda is. But still, I believe in what some people say that a ROM Hack Patch is legal, but the copy of the ROM you apply the patch onto isn't.

3. kryz

kryz Well-Known Member

crap... i was waiting for a new chrono game...

square-enix does have a point though... the fans should have talked to square enix first...

patching your own work to their game is... erm... cheating...

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Don't really see this being bad. Completely normal.

5. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Cheating in what sense exactly?

The fans that make/write patches make no money off of it whatsoever; the only thing they are doing is providing a medium of entertainment to other fans at no cost.

By the way, I disagree with your point that 'the fans should have talked to square enix first' (sic). Take a look at the Command & Conquer Mod community. You don't see EA Games going apeshit on them with cease-and-desist letters, do you?

Also, what about people modding Super Mario World for SNES? Where is Nintendo to stop those 'bad people'?

6. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Fan based work has always been considerd fair use as long as no profit is made and all intellectual property is correctly acknowlaged. Assuming they have made no money or claimed ownership over content they are within the law. Kids, don't give in to bullies. :p

7. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

I will really be upset if Square-Einx doesn't make any new Chrono Trigger/Cross games. I mean come on, those games are so old why the hell should they care? They aren't making a profit from them anymore, they might as well let fans do what they want. This truely lowers my respect for Square.

8. kryz

kryz Well-Known Member

so they should just continue the darn thing...

do it secretly... nyaha!

9. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

They probably are. The news on their main site would just be a front to appease Square Enix ;)

10. ian13456

ian13456 Well-Known Member

phoenix wrong videos are all around but capcom doesn't mind at all.

and if ever they will bring it to court......the ace attorney is always there.

11. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

I bet you that SquareEnix is going to steal their ideas about the new Chrono Trigger
    That's a minus in my book for you SquareEnix
    really disappointing

12. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Aren't you giving that 'minus' judgment of yours way too soon?

Yes, what Square-Enix is doing to the Chrono-Trigger fanbase is stupid, but to assume that Square-Enix will steal another fan(s)'s idea and give a baseless judgment is just as ridiculous. As the saying goes, 'don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch'.

13. growlth

growlth Well-Known Member

Man I didn't know about that until now so that really sucks... I don't understand fully why Square Enix would take those actions against a fan-made game, but it's a shame nonetheless... :'(

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Giro, may I ask why the Spam? come on :p

Anyway, Chrono Compendiums fan fiction ideas are awesome by the way, I mean take for example Chrono Trigger Azala Style, wouldn't it be fun to see the Chrono Trigger story told in the eyes of the Reptites? And one of their most insane projects that I was able to actually try out was the Future Battle Coliseum mod which plays like FF7's Gold Saucer Arena, on every suceeding battle you get stat bonuses/penalties that may give you an advantage or dis-advantage for the next round & mind you, those battles are frickin' hard!

15. DTheRPGFan657289

DTheRPGFan657289 Well-Known Member

wow. I had no clue that people could do things like this. But frankly, it also gives the idea that adding content to games IS a good thing when its the company that does it. The way I see it...either give us a Chrono installment, or find a way to add extra quests and dungeons into the original game. Having CT on the DS was a godsend, but adding in only one extra dungeon and a monster farming option...they could have done more. But at least having New Game + keeps all the stuff you gathered in gameplay...so I'm not complaining too much.

16. dracky w

dracky w Well-Known Member

They should realize that not all english speaking people are americans or british so the concept that we wouldnt understand it is kinda weak to begin with."i mean why not just invent a new language just for games that would be easier than just translating them"would be the practical money saving solution if they were really intrested in saving money but they(big game developers just want Exclusitivity to the title nevermind that games that get ROM modded for the fan population is the Greatest show of respect in the proper Gamers world

17. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Are you seriously saying that inventing a new language to make the games in will make them easier and cheaper to translate to other languages than just making them in an existing language?

That's insane... and completely false. For one they'd have to spend time and money inventing the language. Then they'd have to invest time and money training others in the language, just so they can translate it into already existing languages. It does nothing but add HUGE steps to the translation process.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...they are just protecting thier property-and to let other's know they appose the whole idea of roms-wether thier sales are affected or not...

Prehaps it may affect sales of current chono trigger games-like the ds one-surprised this sit hasn't got such a warning...we still host it right?

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Except they did the same thing to a 3d remake of Chrono Trigger. About 7 years ago. I guarantee Square Enix is going to do jack shit with the Chrono license.

20. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, you're still going to buy/ download their games anyway. So really, this is a douche thing of them to do, at the expense of their hard-line fans. Nothing more.