1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Some manga-related questions. I'm getting into drawing manga.

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by Rumiko, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

I'm really getting in to drawing manga, and I think I'm doing pretty good so far, but I've been wanting to make better-looking pictures. Like, more professional-looking, I guess.

I'm trying to figure out what tools are necessary for drawing manga. Like, I know you need inking pens + ink and shading tools and special markers for toning and whatnot, but I want to know what exactly I need. Like, what kind of inking pens and whatnot are best and everything.

So yeah, it’d be nice if you could give the name of the objects, and perhaps the prices and places I could buy them at. And it’d be nice if you are an artist yourself so you could tell me what you recommend. And also, I see some people use those thick black pencils that write really dark and are hard to erase. Like, they’re more for the final lines and everything, but I don’t know what they’re called. So if you could tell me what they are and how much they cost and everything, that’d be great.
    Lastly, could you also tell me what are good manga instructional books. Like books that teach you at least the basics on drawing the head and body shape and everything and eventually teach you harder stuff. And the manga style I like is realistic type like Obata’s drawing who does Death Note and Bakuman. I don’t mind the more cartoony stuff (like Dragon Ball and One PIece), and the stuff on the in between is good too (like Naruto and Bleach) but I moreso like Obata’s method of drawing. So if you could list several manga instructional books, that’d be great.

2. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

I don't use any inking materials or such shading tools. I always use my trusty pencil. But if you insist on getting your materials I usually go to "MICHAEL'S". They offer all the hardware specs for any amateur artist out there.

Whoops?! Probably not available there, but I meant this.

3. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

4. slapmeorelse

slapmeorelse Well-Known Member

5. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

I could recommend you the whole How-to-draw-manga series. It's what I used, and it's good because it basically has a detailed book on many subjects. Like there's one entire book dedicated to guns, girls, and couples, etc. They teach you the basics, and then you can modify it to suit your own style, etc. There's even one dedicated to what you wanted to know, about the tools of the trade, all the tone papers and pen types etc. Can't tell you much because I'm not much of a traditional artist.

Rather, I thought that even some of the manga artists these days are doing their stuff digitally. They tone their artwork using Photoshop brushes that replicate the exact effect of those tone papers. It's a lot of work anyway, cutting and pasting all the papers.

Just so you know, the covers look generally like this :
    [​IMG]

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I have 3-4 of How to draw manga, i used to practice when i'm in college as a time killer, now its just collecting dust. also its fun to read how to draw manga series.

7. Rumiko

Rumiko Well-Known Member

Alright. Thanks peoplez. And yes, I've heard of Mark Crilley and i've watched his videos. He's kind of what really inspired me to start drawing. And I'll check out those books.