1. This forum is in read-only mode.

So... how legal is this....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benshums, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we received a takedown notice for mysims.

2. Girogex

Girogex Guest

To be honest the person downloading the roms is breaking the law more than romulation is because its like if you had a load of back up copies of halo 3 its not illegal but if a friend wanted to borrow halo 3 and you didn't want to lend out you're original copy and you gave your friend the copy version, your friend is breaking the law, but your not.

I would also like to stress DO NOT PUT UP THE ROM OF THE DS VERSION OF HEAVEN'S WINGS

3. Loonylion

Bullshit, distribution is a more serious offence than possession.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

@Giro: And I thought we were going to have the first playthrough of it since you're virtually shoving your game up our arses, just kidding ;)

5. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

You would usually have to send a notice asking to remove the rom with copyright if you are the rights holder of the game. So I guess you've done that already. That's what happened with the other games.
    Since the point of RomU is try before you buy on DS games why don't you make us a demo aye? ;)

6. Girogex

Girogex Guest

I'm not shoving it up your arses its just this is the first thing I've ever done that has this much hard work in and I'm well... proud of it you know and this the community that isn't just a bunch of retards going on how there so depressed that their penis is a miniscule of size and legth.

I'm not sure I can send you a copyright notice thing seeing as the DS version is being developed by Innocent software and I will provide a demo.

7. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

^quote fail ;)

And yay! Demo!

8. Girogex

Girogex Guest

I've seen a gamepaly video of the DS version I know I'm not meant to say this but it is crap :(

9. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Well things can always be changed

10. CharrX

CharrX Well-Known Member

It's definitely illegal, but I don't think Nintendo (and Sony) bothers about the games they don't sell anymore (SNES and similar).

Even though they sell some old games for VC ._.

11. Girogex

Girogex Guest

I think they do care but there to busy developing new stuff :) they wont take any action.

12. Loonylion

that and taking the action would cost them more than they'd get from it; since the damages are limited to loss of sales, and there's no sales for games that old.

13. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

hey girogex... my favourite guy... i look forward to playing heaven's wings but i want to ask loony one question. How the f*** do them tosser's at the law department of the company contact you and tell you to take it off?

14. DTheRPGFan657289

DTheRPGFan657289 Well-Known Member

Piracy is a global issue. Not just for games, but for movies and music too. Nintendo is a bunch of old timers who want to maximize their profits in a time of recession. They're a billion dollar company. So far, if they wanted to combat piracy, they would have spent their money more on making it more difficult to pirate games, but they would have to do that for every Wii they produce, and that would make it more difficult to move them. Take the DSi for example. It's their first step toward anti-piracy with firmware updating that'll make it complicated to play illegal games on there. And Square Enix is the only company out of dozens of DS game publishers that has put anti-piracy locks on their games. But it hasn't stopped hackers from bypassing these locks and making the games playable. To be honest, their efforts in the case of the DS Lite are futile if people can just hack the roms.

15. Girogex

Girogex Guest

I can answer that :). They send seph an email with proof of them owing copyright over said game, and stuff and seph has to take it down. When DS version of HW comes out peter (owner of Innocent software the company that is making the DS version) will send seph an email with all the stuff in to take it down and what not.

16. Loonylion

get them to send it as a polite request not a legal threat and we'll take it down faster just to make a point

17. Girogex

Girogex Guest

I can't promise anything loony because Peter gets mean when he's drunk :(

18. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

Its beast that in legal terms every "person" is considered a corporation (legal stuff fascinates me).

I'd submit a 5 page long affidavit to any assholes that wanna mess with you guys. That should take care of any would-be shut-downer of Romulation.

19. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

arrg, if RomU made us pay for stuff and didnt do it exactly right to show it wa donation, they'd be in a lot of trouble :D right? in any country.

now if you just happened to give a microsd to someone, who happens to have a slot-1 or gave a slot-1 and a micro. but ;) didnt know the contents. and were given some money at a different time, because they just felt like being generous and giving a handout... to what just happens to be you.

hahaha i confused myself. point is, you can make backups, better keep the original even if it breaks, or you can't proove you made it yourself. thats with all copyrighted media.
    its illegal to download even if you own it but i doubt they can do too much.

there have been cases where people were forced to pay for a game they pirated, either pay or some other worse stuff. their choice. think it was in germany.

ah hell, always sell in person, paper money, no internet trails, always download with a generic "no personal data" pc at a random location, do wifi hotspots allow downloads?
    move location and keep no records. and watch out for new games, i hear that they're watching downloads via torrent on new releases.

psx and older seems ok because its no longer sold by original company and is unobtainable any other way ;) same with games that are copyrighted but no longer sold. to hell with them, i want it and they're not stopping me, not buying a bootleg that claims official on ebay either.

mods, i have no idea how many or if i broke rules with the post. have fun with it. or i'll edit myself on request.

20. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Hey! FA! No need to keep really anonymous, people wouldn't bother going to a lot of trouble to get you for pirating

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.