1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SNES EMULATION UPDATE] - SNES9X Version 1.52 Finally released!

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

A bit of surprising news!

Apparently, one of the two most widely used SNES emulators, SNES9X resumed active development status & a "non-final" (due to the fact that people are currently looking for & submitting errors &/or bugs that need to be worked on to finalize the emulator's release) release has been made available for the public on January 15th to try out.

SNES9X version 1.52 can be obtained from one of these links:

http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4546
    http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4542

or at emulator zone:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/snes9x.html

Changelog:

Now I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to understanding some of those technical stuff so I hope you bear with me.

EDIT:

OK. the Audio quality sounds better now, even though I'm currently just using the FMOD Ec default sound driver as I still have XAudio2 to install. Even so, I noticed an improvement with game audio, as an example, using version 1.51 when I play Any Mario game (Super Mario World &/or All stars) the sound when you get a power up sounds off, so is when you throw a Fireball. Now with version 1.52 the sound is perfect! Another game that sounded off on the earlier version was Booger Man, now on 1.52 it sounds just about right!

In terms of games that used to have issues with version 1.51 like Der Langrisser, Emerald Dragon & Ace Wo Nesai, these games are now running fine on version 1.52!

EDIT Again:

Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Midway Collection Works mighty fine on this Update! It used when you play this one version 1.51 there is no sound, as the emulator could not properly emulate this game's special sound chip requirement. But version 1.52 now does! So Playing Sinistar feels awesome!

2. dedboy

dedboy Guest

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: The structure of savestates (also known
    as snapshots / freeze files) is incompatible with older
    versions! Snes9x 1.52 cannot read the savestates created
    by 1.51 or older."

Now that is a bit disheartening. As I thought, even with the minor upgrades that the older versions saves would match up. Guess I'll Dl it and start over in Super Metroid, again ::)

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The updates aren't that minor dedboy as they did change a lot of things with the emulator. I especially love the fact that the emulator now has more DSP Chip emulation capabilities as well as better SPC Audio emulation capabilities.

4. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Ok, this is another one of my stupid brain dead questions in the emulator world.
    this is for the wii and pc one right?

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@dragneon007: This is for the PC. I'm pretty sure the Wii uses a custom emulator for their Virtual Console thing, unless there is a homebrew channel emulator.

6. mister with the face

mister with the face Active Member

is the snes9x the same as zsnes?

7. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

They're both SNES emulators for PC,if that's what you're asking.
    I wanna know if this can play Actraiser 2
    I remember I can't play that game with emulators I tried last time :(

8. mister with the face

mister with the face Active Member

All i meant was,is snes9x an updated version of zsnes.thats what i meant to say.

9. ggrroohh

SNES9X is a different emulator than ZSNES
    Kinda like no$gba and DesMuMe,both DS emulator but are totally different

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine it might work now.

Never heard that, but even so...

It works far better.
    Post Merge: [time]1265475147[/time]
    Only someone who knows the scene would know....time to google hunt :p

11. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

what he said

different authors/programmers

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

They seem to be different, I chekced a few forums..all comparisons...no one said they are the same at all.

If anything, while they are old...they say zsnes is better :p

Still, there is a port of snes9x on psp, but that's unofficial.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ah the old "Actraiser 2 ROM crashing/freezing as you go into the first level" issue, am I correct!?

That issue only ever occurs with ZSNES & NOT with SNES9X. Also, for some strange reason, it's only the US version that this happens to. Had you tried using the European Actraiser 2 ROM you would've discovered that that issue doesn't happen with it. It's actually such an odd issue that thing.

LOL!

Weren't the names enough to tell you that they're not the same?

Not only were they created by different authors, the programming language used on them are different, ZSNES uses x86 assembly, while SNES9X uses C++ (or another more commonly used programming language).

Well not anymore :p

Besides SNES9X, BSNES is the 2nd top rated SNES emulator as both of them are better at emulating the SNES, similar to how NEStopia closely emulates the NES.

One reason some people still cling onto ZSNES is the fact that ROM Hackers have been more used to using it to test their hack projects, but as I said, that no longer holds true.

However....

According to a post on ZSNES' forums last October 7, 2009...

So we may yet to be surprised by them :)

14. ggrroohh

Oh,I forget to ask,does it has the Auto Patching thing ZSNES has?
    Since I'm not very sure how to apply those translation patch :p

Oh,and Breath of Fire 2 should work fine right?
    Last time I tried it always freezes on the map :(

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@groh: I'm not sure if you've already figured out the answers to your questions yourself, had you actually downloaded the emulator & test things out yourself :p

But if not, oh well...

1. Yes, this latest version still supports soft patching Japanese SNES ROMs that have English Translation patches made for them.

2. Yes, Breath of Fire 2 works fine on this, even on the last 1.51 version. Which version did you get before anyway?

Also, you say you don't know how to apply patches to SNES ROMs?

Haven't you taken a look at this tutorial I put up?

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=17418.0

I know the example I used was an NES ROM, but the process is the same for SNES ROMs as well. Although you do need to consider one thing.

Some Translation patches are a bit picky as they need something called a "Header", these are bits of data that are added to a SNES ROM when they are extracted from a SNES copier/Loader. Some patches need the base ROM to have a header & some don't. In that case, you'll need to get ucon64 & its frontend u-fox:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=22223.0

ucon64 allows you to see if a SNES ROM has a header or not & if a patch needs your ROM to have no header you can use it to strip or remove said header.

*Tip: it's better you use the frontend instead as it is GUI based rather than ucon64 per se which is command line based.

Now, if your SNES ROM has no header or is headerless but the patch needs a headered ROM, then you may need to use SNESTool:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=17597.0

Actually you could just skip getting ucon64 & get SNESTool directly as it also allows the removal as well as the application of Headers onto & from a SNES ROM, but you won't have a tool you could use to see if your ROM IS Headered or not.

And if all this gets a bit confusing at first, don't worry :)

Sooner or later you'll get the hang of it ;)

16. hell_freezer

hell_freezer Member

what a surprise!!
    i thought snes emulation was reached their death.
    so i've never searching for the update anymore.

i'm so glad with the updates.

thanx for the info dude :)

17. Rayder

Rayder Well-Known Member

Well, that's strange.......I went to DL the file but I already had it.....I don't remember DL'ing it before, but I guess I did. Hmm.....

18. 123098

123098 Member

Wow, this was unexpected! I thought Snes9x halted in development.

The SNES mouse works with Mario Paint again!