1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Simple Watch Question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soluri, Nov 27, 2010.

?

On which are do you wear your watch?

1. Right Hand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Left Hand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Watch? Uh, Mobile phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I never said they will be rarely seen, I said it wouldn't surprise me if they become quite rare as phones do more and more they are not needed. For jewelry they will still be used.

Same but the other way around. Have you ever tried knocking down walls, building scaffolds, climbing through loft hatches or plastering with something on your wrist? It wouldn't last 5 minutes. Also, when I was learning mechanics someone touched his watch on a battery and now he has a permanant watch shaped burn on his wrist.
    And whilst were on the subject of work, I work away from my house, I need customers to be able to ring me, I need internet access so I can do quotes and emails, I need a schedule planner so I can book in jobs and so I don't forget things. I also use the mp3 player or the radio, so I don't have to carry a radio as well as everything else.

2. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Theres nothing lavish about a Rolex,I won it in a card game.

I got offered a watch from my Uncle (he paid £30 in 1930,but he didnt tell me that).It was a scabby looking thing with a dirty faceplate and I said I didnt want it.It was a Tudor,and is worth £1000's LOL

3. Zamrullah

Zamrullah Artist in Training

why all of you buying a watch?
    I just bought handphone 2 years ago...
    and now I am not using a watch anymore... :p

4. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Really? What about you said here? This is the post I'm referring to:
    Also, to add on to your latter remark about exams, exams do not necessarily have to do with education, as there are many professional certification exams which help people in their careers, such as Microsoft's A+ certification, LEED certification, Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, Professional Accounting certification, as well as countless others. I kind of wonder what kind of career you have since you think exams stop right after you complete schooling.

I don't do much manual labor work. But when I do work on my car, or repair my electronic appliances, my watch and engineering ring comes off. That's common sense.

A phone can get short-circuited by a battery as well too (should the battery terminals make contact with the phone's electrical contacts.) This example is moot as it pertains to common sense.

And how often do you have to charge your phone after all that high-powered activity? How often do you need to keep that phone tethered to an electrical outlet or USB cable?

5. msg2009

You're really trying to find excuses now, do you know of a phone that has a large enough electrical contact to reach both terminals on a battery? That is lame.
    Of course you can do exams after school but how often? Do you sit in an exam room 12 hours a day 7 days a week?
    My career? Qualified engineer, qualified mechanic, college and university for other reasons. Also got qualifications in health and safety, food health and safety, food manufacture and some others I cant remember. So ive probably done more exams than you but it still hasn't taken up 0.00001% of my life.
    And I charge my phone overnight about every 3 or 4 days.

All I did was explain why I used a phone instead of a watch, you had your say so im entitled to mine. If you don't like it, buy a sundial.

6. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Like I said, it's a moot point. And phones can be short-circuited with batteries that have wires extended on terminals. In short, when it comes to working with electrical equipment, all live electronics (phones and watches included) as well as metal materials need to stay the fuck away. Case closed. Both, the watch and phone lose here.

No need to address this one as you're just diverging away from the topic. However...

And I suppose the phone came in handy for those exams? Or did some of them have you require bringing your calculator and/or a separate time keeping device in place of the phone?

I find this hard to believe as you use your phone a lot during the day for many high-powered applications, such as the MP3 player and radio, and on top of that, making phone calls. Unless you can provide me your phone's battery capacity.

And on top of that, you've dismissed watches as phones have all the functions of the watch. I'm simply pointing out that watches still have their uses regardless of all the multi-functional phones out there. In short, comparing a multi-functional phone to a watch and dismissing the latter is like comparing a swiss-army knife to a simple kitchen knife. And in regards of that analogy, I don't see the kitchen knife going away or "becoming rarer", just like the watch.

7. msg2009

I didnt dismiss watches, I said I think they will become rarer. I then went on to say why, in my job its not the best option and also other reasons why I dont use one.
    And why in my opinion they will become rarer - they are not needed anymore like they used to be.
    I did however say they will still be used as jewelry, so how the whole obselete/dismiss thing started I don't know.

Also, a swiss army knife cannot do the job of a kitchen knife whereas a phone is perfectly capable of telling the time equally as well as a watch. Probably better in fact, because you have access to any number of clocks online and can even ring the speaking clock if needs be.

8. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Let's just amicably agree on one thing. Phones and watches will coexist for now though not as much due to the reasons you've brought up, in which I can agree. In order for watches to be driven to near extinction, it will take a brand new piece of technology that can become a suitable replacement and be perfectly allowed in restricted conditions.

As for the knife example, one can argue that it all depends on the user, or the task (whether it's cutting or peeling.) But that can be saved for another debate.

9. msg2009

A good example of what I meant may be pocket watches, they are quite rare now because wrist watches are more convenient.

10. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

In which I agree.

11. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

I'm right handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. Most of my friends do and we didn't even notice it other people did.

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I still have a pocket watch, its passed through at least 4 generations of my family so I imagine its pretty valuable now.

13. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

photo?

14. msg2009

Its not like my phone it doesn't do photo's ;)

15. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

you can take a mental photo of your phone then pay bilions of dollars to a lab so that they can grab that photo off your brain then upload it here.

16. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I use a pocketwatch, but I used to wear my wristwatch on my right arm and I'm right handed at most things.

17. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

iPod Touch ftw :p

iPod = win.
    my Phone = boo (compared to iPod)

My phone (which does not have a SIM card) is a old Samsung series.
    Its a keyphone. Not a touch.
    Post Merge: [time]1291924345[/time]
    Haha. I'd look stupid wearing my iPod on my right wrist.

18. msg2009

Yoshi, that comment you quoted was a joke about the discussion me and hypr were having, it wasn't serious.

19. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

And so? Am I forbidden to comment to it or something?

20. msg2009

Comment all you want, as long as you know it has absolutely nothing to do with your post.