1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Simple Watch Question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soluri, Nov 27, 2010.

?

On which are do you wear your watch?

1. Right Hand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Left Hand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Watch? Uh, Mobile phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

technically, modern phone (smart phone as they call it) is a computer. they have OS, they have memory (RAM), they have processor (CPU) and they have graphic processor (GPU), they have everything a PC would have, expect for CD\DVD Drive.

2. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean all exams will allow internet access in the future, or at the very least, phones. The Professional Engineering licensure exam that I took does not permit internet access at all, as the board is strictly concerned about protecting their exam material, not to mention that they want minimize cheating and examinee collusion as much as possible. Which is also the reason why the professional board confiscates cell phones (due to memory capabilities and camera functions.)

You can go on and on about how things are becoming more lax in regards of calculators, phones, and/or internet access being allowed on exams, but that still won't prove a damn thing about watches becoming obsolete (which they aren't, and never will be.)

Yeah, but those things are still not as portable as a watch.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I use my phone. In exams I had a little clock that I put on the desk next to me.

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

There is more to life then exams, 99.99% of the time a phone is better because of everything else it does.
    I never said watches are obsolete I said I can see them becoming rarer.

5. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Yeah but a phone needs ultra strong hardware does it want to run PSP games.

6. I don't have a watch :-[.

7. yoshi2889

then that 0.01 includes my phone.

8. msg2009

But a watch does nothing ;)
    They should just make a watch that is also a smartphone, in which case I would wear it on my left wrist.

9. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Why should everything be so high tech nowadays? Ans a watch does something, it says what time it is.

10. yoshi2889

And how much time has elasped (in case of a stopwatch).

11. msg2009

Yeah yeah a phone does all that and much more.

12. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

And phones are much more susceptible to being dropped to the floor, unlike watches.

Seriously, give this whole "phones are better than watches" assertion a rest. You can't really compare the two due to their own pros and cons.

13. yoshi2889

Hypr has a point.

14. msg2009

Al I said was watches will become rarer, you made some lame excuse (3 times) about phones not been allowed in exams so watches are better. I haven't done exams in years, its of no relevance to anybody old enough to be out of education. For example, the majority of your life.
    You then implied that I said watches will become obsolete, which I never.

15. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Funny. You complain that I've been taking your words out of context, yet you have done the same (bolded in red.) The only thing I've argued about is that watches still have their uses as well too, regardless of how many other devices that contain the same functions that watches have. Which is why watches will never go away for a long time. Not even a fancy cellphone or PDA with a million functions will change that.

Also, you've argued that watches will be rarely seen in the future. Again, that's also a false statement as many people tend to wear decorative watches, such as a Rolex (not that I support such lavish style myself!)

Last but not least, all the people in the company that I work at wear watches, because we do a lot of testing at our engineering facilities. We don't have the time, or the need to dick around pulling cellphones out of our pockets for very good reasons.

16. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

17. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

don't have a watch, or a cell phone :( but when I did have a watch, I chose left.

18. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

@watches vs phone argument.

Is a chicken more delicious or a tuna?

Also, Trivia : If it takes me 5 seconds to take my phone out and I check the time five times a day, it will cost me an additional 140 minutes a year. Not cool.

19. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Quite right pal,Id look stupid wearing a Rolex phone on my left wrist.

20. Reider

Reider Modereider

Left-handed and I wear the watch on my left wrist.

Go me?