1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Should women be expected to change their names when they marry?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by buchichu, Aug 29, 2011.

1. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's uncommon at all, and that's exactly the problem. So I'll hold onto my ideals, I'll keep the faith, I'll fight the good fight, and maybe I'll make a difference in the end. I don't see how anyone can possibly justify condescending that.

2. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

*slow clap*

3. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

If you do that a bit faster you will have time to make me a sandwich and do the washing.

4. kammithecamel

kammithecamel Well-Known Member

5. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

As long as you don't beat my kid when I'm not looking.

6. Nitemare_ Plague

Nitemare_ Plague Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people way worse than me for you to hope don't pass on their genes. Get off your self proclaimed throne and bug them instead.

7. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

They shouldn't.

Women <3

8. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Their choice. If i was in a position in which the wife wouldn't want my name, I'd be ok with that. My name ain't that great anyways :p

9. Nitemare_ Plague

Why cant a guy change his name to his wife's anyway? same principle. gene lines are better traced through mothers anyway

10. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Because it's a tradition. It's traditionally the son who carries on his father's name. Of course, it meant a lot more back then. Nowadays, people couldn't care less about names

11. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I have never beat any child so why would I beat yours?

12. lewis9191

Since back in the good old days. Men use to be very business driven and brought home the majority of the money while the wife use to stay home and look after the children. This is why in japan, the men wanted young boys to carry on the name through the business and so many girls were give away or killed.

13. Nitemare_ Plague

well now some homes have women bring home the most money. i see no issue in it

14. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

It depends on whose genes are stronger. How? I have no clue, but sometimes it just turns out that way. Following a persons genepool would take extensive study in both genders, cross referencing, intersecting, and bisecting most of the chromosomes. If we take c, a, g, t, or whatever letters part of the gene, then we could see who's who with hereditary physical appearances from the mother and father. But when a lady changes her name it really conflicts with her identity resulting in a crisis...I mean if I changed my name I would loose all of my previous self and try to make this newer name more suitable for my entire life.

Case closed if two people are willing to make amends, then why not just combine the whole thing. It makes up for a rather short name.

That runs along the path of kingdoms and empires, which reminds me of how royalty was only perceived as high status among men. Running a generation of the royal blood line must have been so eager to keep the throne and high ranking among the general commoners.

I guess that rule still applies if the man of the house wants to remain king, but that's just despotism or monarchy to say.

15. lewis9191

Who said there is an issue.

16. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Yes, just as they should be expected to make my sandwiches.

I need not justify this.

17. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Well, those people aren't being self-righteous about it here. If I could bug them about it, I would. And it's not the genes I'm worried about, it's the mindset. Seriously, drop the radical feminist crap. It doesn't make you edgy or cool, it makes you a stupid sheep.

I have no idea what you're trying to say about gene lines, but I did say earlier that it doesn't matter which of a couple should change their name.

I read this article today, and it nicely sums up a few points. I don't know what the statistics are like for America, but I doubt they're much better (if at all).
    http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/marriage-at-the-heart-of-a-crucial-commitment-to-children-20110907-1jxr5.html

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

This is why in japan, the men wanted young boys to carry on the name through the business and so many girls were give away or killed.
    [/quote]

China. because families there are only allowed two children at most (used to be one)

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I'm absolutely siding with the folks who'd say, "stop this ancient requirement that the woman has to be the one who adopts the man's last name when they marry". Especially if the mom IS the one bringing home the bacon so to speak & the husband is a no good bum who probably even beats her up whenever he feels like it & worse, when he's drunk.

Human society should drop the whole stupid notion that a wife is the husband's possession when they get married. Heck as I've said elsewhere before, we should abolish marriage itself & let us just be with whoever we want at a time.

As for child rearing... well that's another can of worms.

20. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

it's not a requirement...
    we have
    then don't get married, stay single. marriage is a choice (speaking about the west here).