1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Should women be expected to change their names when they marry?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by buchichu, Aug 29, 2011.

1. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

Topic.

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

of course not.
    only when they want to

3. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

In some cultures though, women have no choice whatsoever.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its tradition to do so, however there are some times when a woman decides not to (quite often this may be for professional reasons) These days its quite common to give children the surnames of both parents when the woman decides not to take her husband's name.

5. Nitemare_ Plague

Nitemare_ Plague Well-Known Member

they should have the choice and not be demonized for keeping thier name if they chose to

6. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

What's in a name? Pride? Having the same surname helps solidify the family unit. Children need a cohesive home environment. It doesn't matter who changes their name upon marriage, but it should happen either way - if you're not prepared to sacrifice a little pride for the sake of your children, I don't think you're prepared to have children at all.

7. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I don't care, I'd change my name to my GF's when we get married if she wants, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to me.

8. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Well you won't get married because you're cheating on her with my mum!

[​IMG]

9. buchichu

I changed mine but only because my last name meant nothing to me. If it did and I wanted to keep it, I would have. Every woman deserves that choice without being guilted by their future husbands or families. I also hate when women are introduced as "Mrs. John Smith" et al as though when she marries, her identity becomes nothing more than an extension of her husband. It doesn't happen much anymore, but I see it from time to time and it really pisses me off.

10. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

But your mum wont take my name(unlike other things) so I'm moving on to a woman that will do as shes told. Like all women should.

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I got rid of mine. Mostly tradition, the other part is love, and the last part is I didn't give a shit.

12. Nitemare_ Plague

I'd only change my name if the new name wasnt horrible. the path i'm on, i may change it anyway cause i dislike my last name.

if its a terrible name i just couldnt tolerate or if its foreign so i cant spell it.

13. tehuber1337

Well, back in the day, marriage was supposed to represent two people becoming one.

14. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

traditionally, marriage is a trade between 2 families (union between 2 family who either business arrangement or as a mean to rise up in society or getting more political power)... at least in ancient china where woman sole purpose is to get into a wealthy family.

thats why male side of the family give "Betrothal gifts" (payment) to the female side and the women who getting marry in joining the male side of the family and bare his family name.

a male married into a female family is view as dishonor and consider cutting ties with family

at least that what my grandma use to tell me... (she always cry about how life would suck for being a woman in china and how lucky she got the chance to run into malaysia during the war, i think she was talking about WWII)

15. Nitemare_ Plague

We get the two people becoming one thing but the decisions to change names should be available in case of undesirable circumstances. like a forced marriage, or a marriage to a person ur not sure u'll be with long enough to justify taking thier name.

16. tehuber1337

What are you talking about? And if you're not sure you want to be with someone, why in the hell would you marry them?

17. Nitemare_ Plague

if u marry but u have doubts. people do it.

18. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Man, to see the world through your eyes.

19. tehuber1337

I sincerely hope, for the sake of all that is good and holy in society, that you and your ilk never marry or procreate.

20. buchichu

You really think it's that uncommon? It must be nice to be so idealistic.