1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Should RomU have a torrent section

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MitsukaiXxX, Feb 22, 2010.

?

Should RomU have a torrent section?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

For god's sake!

ROMULATION CONTROLLED TORRENTS=SAFE!

I doubt Seph would allow anyone to post their games on it, best option is him and the staff, or approved members only.

And like a download manager, you can continue with the file from the day after ie pause, stop, etc...

Only differance is...well with enough seeds it'll work, if no seeds it's gonna fail...but if we all do our bit it'll be ok.

And you need better internet my friend, even my wireless vroadband goes to 70kbs on a good day :)

Ok...well I'll support it, even if more people seem to be voting no to it :(

2. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

But when this normal download section is gone, where else can I download the NDS games :'(

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

who said anything about direct downloads going?

4. yoshi2889

Normal downloads.

Torrents are slower (I expirienced that a while ago). If the normal downloads are interrupted by torrents, where can I get the ROM's?
    Also,

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

normal downloads = direct downloads.

No-one said anything about us hosting torrents instead of direct downloads. torrents are an addition, the end user chooses which method to use. Torrents are also capable of speeds which very few servers are capable of, so they're usually faster than direct downloads.

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Dude, the direct downloads (normal downloads) aren't going any where. Even if we get a torrent section the direct downloads will still be there.

Apparently you have no idea about how torrents work. A well seeded torrent is likely to hugely outperform any single direct download server because of how many people are offering up bandwidth. The reason it's slow for you is because you aren't very good with computers and don't know about routers and how the internet work, 99% chance you haven't got the proper ports open so you cannot connect to enough people.

That's your fault, not a fault with torrents.

7. yoshi2889

Torrents are slower here.
    Oh, I thought if Torrents were added, the normal downloads were gone.
    Post Merge: [time]1267122100[/time]
    I use the default settings.

8. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

Why would torrents be slower here,

You really aint getting to grips with this are you !!?!

We would host them on a torrent site(TPB etc etc) we post the link,then you just download it through that site/tracker.
    And we dont need that many seeder per torrent,roughly 10-20,that would optimize the speeds.

Rememeber its only another alternative,you dont have to use it.
    It just that some people feel more confortable using torrents(like me),

And torrents are way faster for me then firect downloading(even when the speed isnt capped)
    Like at the moment im downloading Oblivion(6GB) at 2500kb(2.5mb) a second :)

So if you have slow internet ,just dont use em,but a lot of people here will benefit from torrrents :)

9. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the use of torrents here mean less premium members for RomUlation? That would in turn mean less income for RomUlation. I know the use of torrents would be pretty cool, but I don't want Seph spending 4K a month for servers that wouldn't be used as much.

We all know where to get DS ROM's from if we don't like Direct Links...But isn't everyone here because RomUlation offered free direct links for all DS games?

10. t@n!

t@n! Well-Known Member

think i'll agree with him, though torrents are beneficial for us but i think it'll just be another burden on seph

11. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Do you really think TBP is a good idea? And the admin would have to do it. It'd take a lot of time.

12. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

How can you know the torrents at here are slow if it still haven't been made yet.

Anyway, some people may get benefit from it, some may not.

13. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

By here he's obviously referring to his place and not RomUlation...

14. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Yeah which is made of fail. If people are going to bad mouth Torrents, then they should actually learn about them first. There is a lovely thing out there, people, which you just so happen to be using, called the internet. It contains a mass of knowledge, we're not going to spoon feed it to you, if you don't understand and can't be bothered to look for the information using google (Which by all means is a very easy feat) then you fail.

15. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Oh ya, you're right.
    and I'm sure he only use it once.

16. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

There are ways to give premium members benefits on a tracker, say for example a different ratio check or access to a premium seeding server.

17. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

Yes, there are different ways. But what torrents from Romulation offers is MUCH more benefits for free users...which would mean even more less incentives to be a premium member.

As much as I'd like to say Free users should get awesome download speeds too from RomUlation, sadly RomUlation doesn't run for free.

18. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

i want to change my vote.
    i thought torrents might take over from direct downloads and i didnt understand how torrents work.
    its a good idea if enough people will seed

19. t@n!

t@n! Well-Known Member

if seph got too much burden on himself maybe he will close the site!!! lol......

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

There would be something that would keep the money generated, I'd think prehaps allowing only premium members to access the torrents would be one such method.

Here is one example.

Free members-1 torrent per week

Premium-as many as they'd like

How does that sounds y'all?

[me=hYpNoS]agrees with this[/me]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.