1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Should RomU have a torrent section

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MitsukaiXxX, Feb 22, 2010.

?

Should RomU have a torrent section?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

isohunt isn't a tracker, its an indexer/search engine. Nothing more.

2. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Would be kick ass to have Romulation as a one stop shop for everything gaming releated in terms of downloading.

Of course I mean when it comes to bigger files such as gamecube and ps2. Also, maybe future files such as wii and maybe ds2?

( in the future )

3. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

O shite yeah sorry forgets that.
    Yeah but you can still upload to isohunt with others trackers......i upload to isohunt all the time,its very easy.

But Loony you gotta admit it will be awesome,and itll bring nothing but goodness towards romu.

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

oh.. that's why I get high speeds when using a torrent that have tracker like piratebay..

I'll keep this in mind.

5. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I personally would be greatful if someone would let me borrow their 200 kb/s download speeds, literally. If I got 200 kb/s download speeds, I'd be over the moon. It just goes to show how spoiled some people have gotten with their massive download speeds.

If I was after torrents in the first place, I would have never visited RomUlation to begin with. This site doesn't need a change in my opinon, as long as it continues to have a great server with great DS games, there's nothing to complain about.

6. super_pastafari32

super_pastafari32 Well-Known Member

Guys, you are losing the point, the "system" that seph created he make "points" so the server will not be "overused"(i lost the word)

The torrent maybe dont put the server to the limit. but i think there is no reason to put torrent since the roms are not realy "BIG" i mean they don't need more than the speed that romU ofers with DD
    and... isn't the torrent isn't slower than the DD?
    and if not, then maybe you have losts to romU since if the torrens are faster than DD then, nobody will be interested in the benefits of premium download, which has more speed than the normal download, and then maybe the users will not care the premium except for the extra points...

7. scottg1990

scottg1990 Well-Known Member

All in all, torrents are not needed. I think with the points system that is in place + the generally small size of most roms, its hardly needed.

8. Straightos

Straightos Active Member

I use dial-up :D And I'm happy with my speed. (Somehow I get 250kB/s sometimes.)

9. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

And it'd suck for the games that don't get downloaded very much, you have to remember who wants what games and who will actually keep it on their system.

I think the initial idea is good, but the cons outweigh the pros.

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

There are no cons for the end-user. I really cannot understand why people are voting no. This is like voting no to an extra download server with no maximum download limit.

The only cons that exist are all related to me, my work and time being used to implement it.

11. snebbers

I was thinking of the fact that there are some games that wouldn't be downloaded from other people, due to the fact that is unpopular etc. Some people might just download and not seed it out of spite or something too..

And besides what would be used? uTorrent etc? Wouldn't it be a lot better to make a custom Torrent one?

I am of equal opinion, it'd be cool but... I don't know..

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Prehaps it's because

1.People don't understand torrents correctly

2.They prefer the current system

3.They think they might lose the current system.

People, we are gonna (hopefully I should say) keep the current direct downloads, but with the extra option of torrents.

As much as I prefer direct downlods...I'm sick of getting part by part as with some sites, and one big downloads of 8gb is too much for anyone-even with fast speeds!

If it's by romU, and the torrent start files are only hosted and kepted on romU, then they'll be safer downloads...the only problem is how to get preium users to get the max potential...

One idea is to restrict torrents to those users in order to help with site cost, but then us free user's miss out...so unless our Loard Seph thought of that, that's something that needs to be considered...

I think torrents are a great idea if kept to gamecube games and higher, the rest as direct downloads, if romU made files and not any of our standard users, they shall be safe and thus the POINT of torrents here-safe and trust worthy :)

Custom ones might allow some options to work with, but using an existing torrent device/thing/whatever it's called could save Seph some cost in server space...if I remember the servers were close to full from what I thought I read here.

...Utorrent is a program isn't it, those don't hold the files, it downlods them XD

13. snebbers

Yeah I know that. But it needs to search for the users with the files. I was asking whether uTorrent would be perfectly acceptable, or whether a custom one would be made just for Roms. While some may see that as a waste of time, it'll stop people getting downloads from Piratebay etc, which have a higher chance of virii than our trustworthy Romulation downloads.

See my point? :)

14. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

As with the current ddl site, I wouldn't be surprised if seph would want to keep some kind of quality control. In my mind that would be a private tracker with torrents linked to user accounts, with ratios and only trusted uploaders/seeders. Not everybody should be allowed to upload torrents (use tpb for that).

I still think the visibility risk is too large. We all know what happened to TPB and mininova. Even indexing is penalized.

15. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well I was thinking if the uploads were left to seph and the romU staff...

Maybe even left for "special" members who are allowed to upload in place of the mods/trusted members who will get informed on conduct of uploads.

If they shut us down for torrents...they might as well shut us down for the roms as well while they are at it...I'm just surprised nintendo didn't hammer us for what we have now XD

16. MitsukaiXxX

I'm experianced with torrents,and hosting them up,i would gladly do a lil free labour for you.

Maybe a announcement would get some helpers on board :)

17. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I agree.

I do not agree with the section, so I voted No.

18. snebbers

They're more likely to have a virus or virii attached but they're not full.. And seeing as though a piece of programming is not programmed to show any signs of gender or sexuality (because they don't have a gender) then they can hardly be called gay as they're not also programmed to be happy. Your agreement with an invalid point doesn't work. >_<

19. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

But I still agree with him.

20. MitsukaiXxX

Then your stupid.
    You obviously have no experiacne with torrents.
    And they can only have viruses if the maker puts them in the torent.
    WHY WOULD WE PUT VIRUSES IN OUR OWN TORRENTS!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.......everyone who voted no,dont understand torrents.
    n00bs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.