1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Should RomU have a torrent section

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MitsukaiXxX, Feb 22, 2010.

?

Should RomU have a torrent section?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

O O O ive never seen seph pawn someone before,but that was fucking classic.

You know your a dick,when seph pawns your ass.

2. super_pastafari32

super_pastafari32 Well-Known Member

i say no to torrent the files aren't big enough to be a necessary to donload with torrent i think the direct download it's enough

3. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Not really, i've used tons of torrents, none of them ever had viruses

who said anything about nds files having viruses o_O

4. 7mike7

7mike7 Well-Known Member

i only get 90 kb's a sec =(

5. titen96

titen96 Well-Known Member

it doesent mean that all torrents are like that it may mean that the one that you download and used in a torrent client may not have enough seeds

6. MitsukaiXxX

XD XD XD XD XD I quoted the wrong guy

sorry brother......XD no harm inteneded

7. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Ah XD, it's cool, no harm done :D

8. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

I said no, because direct download can be faster than torrent that have less seeds.
    (people tends to be a leechers these days..)

If the matter is about a big size file, download manager is another option.

I've used torrent for a long time, and get no virus from it.
    Those torrent comments are very helpful sometimes.

Anyway, good suggestion.. I think?

9. titen96

titen96 Well-Known Member

it depends on the torrent and how much the websites gets downloads from it.
    also if there are torrents cant the file come directly from the website so the file would stay seeded by at least one seed from the server?

10. hi1116

hi1116 Well-Known Member

lol, but on topic

i think this would be good

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Not if it's only romU managed roms.

I reckon, if this site expends into say...xbox and ps2 games, prehaps consider it...if we tried god of war 2 via direct download...8gb is high risk-and a download manager can still corrupt some downloads (unless it's just my dam pc doing it :( ).

It won't speed up downloads, not with maybe 4 seeds on each game, but if done correctly it may just be an alternitive for the larger games-those having difficulty gettings games because of pathetic download speeds.

Worth a thought...when the staff get the time as Seph says ;)

Because there is no evidence, you obviously don't check the torrents before downloads, only trust respectable uploaders, read the dam comments and of course....the fact is if they were officially made from romU then they'd safe.

It's like saying downloading a game from here is full of viruses (via direct downloads) you gotta know the sorce...and the staff here are in the clear as these are respectable uploaders mate :p

Normally I'm agaisn't saying it, but your opinion is invalid/void/imature/stupid.

I've had 30 torrent downloads, only 1 was bad because it was my first (and I simply wasn't familier with what a torrent was-after some research and some help, torrents are infact SAFER then other p2p clients like lime wire and kazza).

12. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

The ps2/xbox part is a valid argument. As is relieving the pressure on the download links.

Downsides are a more complex server management (running a tracker is more CPU bound than IO bound) and the increased visibility with anti-tracker organisations.

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...I thought of one idea, just uploading torrents to other torrent sites with romU names and file sets...

But unless we do something to distance ourselves from fakes, people will make viral time bombs :(

...with a record of the exact contents (the games, the ad file, the nfo, and a certain way of naming the torrent files and uploaders) we may prevent this.

Sure as hell makes things easier-and means the torrents can spread...but it means that the starting torrent files can only be listed here for safety in the existing servers, while the files we seek be on another site...if that makes sence.

14. LilSoulCBH

LilSoulCBH New Member

The answer, is HELL YES!

A torrent can host the complete collection of roms for each individual console offered! This site is awesome in that it offers a great downloader for NDS games, and you can quickly and effortlessly get all the NDS games you want in one session (provided you have the points to cover it). However, trying to get a complete collection of thousands of roms for the other systems, like GBA or SNES for example, is a daunting undertaking. You have to click on each one individually which is a huge investment in time and a pain in the ass. Ha.. I know, I know; be grateful they are free games. But short of modifying the premium downloader to allow access to all of the consoles offered, having a complete collection torrent file is THE way to go for complete ease of downloading. Especially for the older systems that do not get updated games. Plus, once a torrent is seeded nicely, the members who download what’s available from them are not using the romulation servers’ bandwidth, which I imagine might save them some money.

I dig torrents. You can get incredible speeds, as well as get entire collections of whatever you’re into very easily. My vote is a resounding yes! And like the admin said, having torrents as an option does not take away from what is already offered, so voting no is pointless and only serves to limit other users who prefer torrents.

15. MitsukaiXxX

The average internet speed is 10mb.
    That makes a 30kb cap upload speed on utorrent.

(remember the more you upload by seeding on utorrent the better your download speed,common mistake people make with torrents is thinking its all one way,but the faster you upload with seeding the more seeders give your your files)

So if we have lets say 30 people average on each game,that's 900 kb/sec download,and 10mb internet caps at 1 mb realtime download.
    So we could get 1mb /sec per person,making downloads pretty fecking quick,if we are sensilble and sharing

So we dont need to many people per torrent,as a hand full of people each torrent will work.

(REMEMEBER:Torrents work on how much you upload by seeding,that's why most sites prefer registered members,so they can keep them to a 1:1 ratio,and all torrents alive,at all times)

Just a rough estimate :)

16. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

There are more leechers than seeders these days.

That makes it hard to get a good speeds when using torrent.
    especially for the member with slow internet connection..

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

You really don't know much about torrents. If you go use some open tracker such as pirate bay or demonoid then yes, you'll get shit speeds. But most private trackers which limit multi accounts and and track usage will have a seeder:leecher ratio so high that it can be hard to get a good ratio.

18. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

I don't think filesets are a good idea. If you want to collect, go look some place else (e.g. google goodsets/goodnes/goodsnes).

Also, small roms will draw too much resources from a tracker. A 5mb file can just as easily be downloaded from a site, than processed through a tracker. In terms of "hosted gb/server" 5mb files just aren't worth the trouble of a torrent.

'Small' roms may be useful for torrenting if they are very popular. Drawing 1.7GB/s for two hours when a good game is released is in my opinion worth torrenting. With such a large amount of data being transferred, it might as well be broadcasted.

So we have the most popular releases, and large releases for torrenting.

19. robertpaulbark

robertpaulbark New Member

i have 3kb\s ere slow torrents :(

20. MitsukaiXxX

Look at it this way seph

We use isohunt as the host site,they get over 30million visits a day,everyday.
    We make each .nds into a rar file that also contains a link to this site.And also put romulation in the torrent name.
    You ll get shit loads of new people coming here to join the train :)

And most of the people who have said NO have little knowledge of torrents.

Then you could put a link to each torrent on the game download page.

And to aid those who dont know how to use torrents,you could write(i could write) a kick ass guide on how to make torrents faster

(P.S whoever needs a guide on how to make your torrents faster PM Me)

You know its a good idea seph,youl get shit loads of advertisement,more flexible website and happier embers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.