1. This forum is in read-only mode.

should i call my ISP and be a bitch? :P

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomoka, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

that's what i was wondering :p and since an admin said it, i'll do it >:D

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I think locally the cable company advertises up to 20mbit connections. But I only have a 10mbit connection.

Remember, just because your company advertises they offer up to X amount, doesn't mean you purchased X amount. First find out what you are actually paying for. Read your contract. Some companies offer "download boost" or something similar that can double (or more) your download speed for the first 10-30 seconds or so. Giving the illusion of higher speed for things like streaming videos. But for downloading huge files, the true average speed appears.

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

3 MB/s (24 Mbit) is what it says in the contract >=(

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Call your isp ryan, you have pull with the FBI, i am sure they can swing something

5. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

no don't. piss em off and they might just cut you out.

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Don't be a bitch.
    I have the same speed as Thasaidon and I don't mind at all.

7. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

call corporate, ask for legal information and say you are preparing a lawsuit against them for false advertisement. Sound convincing though. It may work ;)

8. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Can you have a wired internet connection without the phonelines? cause we only need the internet and not the phoneline cause we just waste money on a phone line that only receives prank calls. But i hate those wireless broadband. Its like a nationwide wifi where everybody is getting their internet and slows your connection.

9. TirithRR

Depends on where you live and what they offer. Satellite and Cable companies do offer internet services. And they are not tied to your phone company. But they don't exist everywhere.

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

WTF is it with this forum and shitty advice.

WTF is this bullshit... He has a CONTRACT, this means they have to offer a certain level of performance and if not you should negotiate a new price. They're not going to cut-off a paying customer, if they do that you complain to the FCC and they'll or the BBB if that's your thing and they'll be the ones fucked.

Great so because you have slow speed and don't mind he shouldn't either? WTF is that kind of logic. He's paying for 24 mbit he should get 24mbit or he should pay less. Just because you accept shitty internet speed does not mean other people have to.

Yeah this is stupid. If you threaten legal action they go into defensive mode where they refuse to give you any information or concede any points, you might be able to use this information against them. When you then don't take legal action you will probably be double fucked and might even be out of a contract.

Here's how to handle shit like this:

1) Call your ISP.
    2) Be polite.
    3) Tell them to run a speed test on your line.
    4) When they see the result, ask them if perhaps they have made a mistake, if not then ask for a renegotiated price.

So fucking straight forward and logical, amazing how the world works!

11. TirithRR

One of my coworkers had a slower than should be internet connection. Took a few weeks total to resolve, turns out the original installation ran the cable too far from the source and the signal quality was diminished.

Cable company worker had to come out and run tests. Took about a week.
    Problem was found, waited about another week.
    Solution was given (re-ran the cable underground to shorten the length).

Eventually it was all fixed. Eventually. Be prepared to have a technician visit you some time between 8am and 5pm on a day between Monday and Friday :) (Don't you love how specific they can be!)

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

This isn't necessarily the case. He's probably paying for up to 24mbit, the 'up to' is the ISP's get out clause when he can't get that speed.

13. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Yeah so he can get an "up to" contract of a lesser value, say 3mbit! If he's told that the line signal to his location cannot cope with more than 3mbit then that's what you should have "up to".

14. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

True. Same goes with satellite internet. They claim its all the same but they lie. Used to with satelite i got like 50 kb/s.

15. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

o_O Seph, you give the BEST advice! :p i will call them now :p cuz maybe i can't get more than 3mbit's in my area, so i'm paying for more than i can possible get T_T

16. doughboy

doughboy Guest

You have some really slow internet (I get 40-50mb/ps)
    I am borrowing it off my neighbor.
    Even when I was paying for it I had around 20mb/ps

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

im paying for up to 24mbit and only getting 3-4mbit, complaining doesnt work because its all thats offered.

18. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

what really? damn I shoulda sued them a looong time ago

19. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

QFT. Never get rough or they may take you out.

Were paying for 50 MB/s and we get 80 MB/s...or was it 120 MB/s we were paying for...? damn I don't remember.