1. This forum is in read-only mode.

should i call my ISP and be a bitch? :P

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomoka, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

true...but i still get me current max on Megaupload, rapidshare doesn't load for me, and here i'm premium >.>

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I used to be on 56k dial up back in 2007 & miraculously I survived for a little bit.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

What? Hold on I'll read that again... Nope, still WHAT?

There is no such thing as "INTERNET SPEED" versus "TRANSFER RATE". What you're probably referring to is bytes versus bits. You see computers work with 0s and 1s, all data is represented by these and they are known as bits. But just 0 and 1 isn't much information, so computers also work with bytes, these are 8 bits in a group, this means that you now have a larger range of information. Data is still largely represented in bytes, for example you might have a 700 megabyte film, but that could also be called a 5,600 megabit film.

So imagine for a second that you sell internet. Would you rather sell a 128 kilobyte connection or a 1024 kilobit? Yes, you'd rather sell the latter. Which also means that what you bought was a 3 megabyte connection but rather a 3 megabit connection which is 384 kilobytes per second. To understand why your speed is lower than this we need to understand something about how the internet works.

You see the internet uses a protocol called TCP to establish connections to the various servers on the internet. TCP connections have what is called an overhead, this is data used to create and maintain the connection which doesn't actually transfer the data you want.

To visualize this here is an image of the TCP handshake process:
    [​IMG]

That's just the connection part, though. When the TCP connection is created and data is being sent we need to make sure that the data sent is also being received. Which means that when you send a number of packages you also send a question "did you get that?", the remote server will then return "sure did mate!" and the transfer will continue.

As a rule of thumb this overhead is usually around 15%. Now what happens when we apply this 15% to the 384 kilobytes? Well 384 * 0.85 = 326,4! Imagine that, so close to your actual speed.

tl;dr: Your connection is fine and the people in this thread are stupid.

4. naved.islam14

naved.islam14 Member

woah, don't read out your manual seph.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

You just got served :(

I'm probably guilty of this too.

6. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Discretion is the better part of.. what was it again?

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

discretion is the better part of valour.

Seph is correct, you have a 3mbit connection therefore your maximum download speed is roughly 350kBytes per second.

8. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Thanks. I knew it was either that or viscosity. So easy to get them confused.

9. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

But isn't there other factors too?
    Bad phone lines, distance from servers, shitty routers etc?

10. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I have cable for my ISP. I used to have a T2 router, never got above 1.8mbits. Even now I have a direct port and all that techie jazz, and the highest my Dl's ever went was around 246kbs.
    Feel free to correct me loony if you're still around.

11. Loonylion

they could explain why it would be lower than the maximum. He is getting what he is paying for.

12. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

actually...based on what Seph said, and my comparisons...i'm still not T_T they advertised the speed i got as 24 megaBITS on TV, so i asked for that, but cuz of me lack of knowledge, i said bytes, so that's the term we used the entire conversation, so i got 3 megaBYTES, not BITS, per second >:D

does that make any difference?...

13. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

We get around 80 MB/s on speedtests...

But then we have alot of new stuff equipped and have the best of our ISP...

I suggest getting new stuff or lending stuff from your friend, then call your ISP if that doesn't work.

You'll have to pay a bit more for higher speeds though.

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i know it costs more for higher speeds :p and what friend if i may ask?

15. yoshi2889

A friend that has internet :p

16. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

thing is...i have no friends to borrow stuffs from T_T

17. yoshi2889

Mom? Dad? Nephew? Aunt? Uncle?

18. Loonylion

connection speed is measured in bits, transfer rate is measured in bytes. 350kB/s is about right for a 3mbit connection. I'm guessing you're using adsl2+, which has a maximum speed of 24mbit/s, but the connection speed you actually get depends on how far you are from the DSLAM, which in the UK at least, is in your telephone exchange. 3mbit is about what you'd expect round about 3-4 miles from the DSLAM (note this is line length not straight line distance).

19. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i have no clue what adsl2+ is, i know i got DSL, but it goes to a maximum of 6MB/s (48mbit/s?)

20. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

If you pay for 23mbit and you get 3mbit then yes, call and complain, there's no way you should be paying for a service they cannot provide.