1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey - USA

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jason5877, Mar 23, 2010.

1. JonnyNewman

JonnyNewman New Member

Thanks to everyone for working on this, I would help but alas, last time I tried to learn I got confused. Oh well, I'll learn when exams are finished. Still, I admire you all for doing this, when you don't need to.

2. RAWRZORZZZ

RAWRZORZZZ Active Member

Well, if the patched jap version is identical to the patched american one, we have something to work off of. Even though the AP is different for each language, if the coding is the same, then all you would have to do is edit the american one to match the japanese one, while maintaining the american language. All we need is to seperate the coding that determines language, then have the rest of the stuff made identical to the coding of the patched japanese one.

3. GrayFox2510

GrayFox2510 Member

Wish I could do more than just say thanks to those involved in working on a fix for this game, but my knowledge on ROM hacking is virtually non-existent.
    So yeah, thanks to all of you who are working on the fix. =3

4. That1guy221

That1guy221 New Member

I have to say, the people solving this issue are pretty generous, makes me want to learn how to hex and all that. Is it a hard process? Or just very time consuming?

5. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

Both! :) All depends how quickly you pick things up really.

6. That1guy221

That1guy221 New Member

I'll start looking into it, I don't have any knowledge of it so I'm probably not gonna be much help for this topic. :p Is there any special equipment involved or is it all programs?

7. KevInChester

A brain :) An emulator helps to debug, and a hex editor. Just read up a little bit to get used to base 8 and 16.

8. That1guy221

That1guy221 New Member

Alright thanks for the help! :)
    Post Merge: [time]1269822722[/time]
    Well I've downloaded both now, and opened SMT and it looks like the action replay code from hell. Hmm how do I know what I'm looking for?

9. ZoMgWhOaMi

ZoMgWhOaMi Member

You probably shouldn't even bother trying to patch it. I tried that without much knowledge and it got me nowhere lol. You should probably take it slow, don't try patching the rom yet. first try to get a hang of the code by making your own and such. then after you get more experienced with the code (like 1-2 weeks worth) try looking at patching stuff

10. RAWRZORZZZ

RAWRZORZZZ Active Member

Hands-on is the best way to learn. Plus, in 2 weeks the patch will be already finished anyways. Might as well try and learn from experience. If it does happen to take more than two weeks, people will start buying actual copies of the game or another gamecard. (CycloDS, Acekard, No$gba)

11. snakerune112

snakerune112 New Member

here is an idea open up the japanese rom and the american rom side by side and mess with what is different

12. RAWRZORZZZ

RAWRZORZZZ Active Member

That won't work with the language barrier. If there was a British one released however =/.

13. donofmy16

donofmy16 New Member

for those who want to help heres a good hex editing program its free http://www.youtube.com/redirect?username=Iownyoujk&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hhdsoftware.com%2FProducts%2Fhome%2Fhex-editor-free.html&video_id=RmvFOpSsLmk&event=url_redirect&url_redirect=True&usg=s0sclMy0EwAteCYcQvyuKLRdEY4=

14. KevInChester

Could you please put a few more redirects into that URL :D

15. Dart3055

Dart3055 Active Member

For those of you looking to learn more about Rom Hacking GBAtemp has a bunch of nice articles and resources posted in addition to the large PDF available in the downloads section under Development tools.

You can find out more in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=ebf4a9ec8102eb62adaa573f02d60ce6&showtopic=73394

The Hex Editor Most of us are currently using: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/hex-editor-free.html

16. RAWRZORZZZ

RAWRZORZZZ Active Member

No update on how it's going? :(
    I'm drowning in suspense!!! :'(

17. firefoxx22

firefoxx22 Well-Known Member

r4 is ancient. im getting a better flashcard.

18. lexsama

lexsama Member

during my down time today i did some digging around, no other Rom teams that i know of are working on or planing to work on this game and i have found that YSmenu will not get a update anytime soon

19. Chaellexe

Chaellexe Active Member

try to use game save converter

20. NeoHack

NeoHack Well-Known Member

Don't worry we're working on it,fortunately there are some great people working on this project and lately more people have being joining the cause! I want to thank Oly,Solace,Sandman,Lol,Faith,Ed and all the many people helping and collaborating with this project! We are very close to solving the save issue, but we all have our lives to take care too and that's why it may take a while. I really apreciate all the help we are getting. If anyone is familiar with hacking and/or hexadecimal values and want to help,your help will be very welcome! Don't worry we did not forget this project!