1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Shall I replace McAfee by AVG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiekoes, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Reider

Reider Modereider

Whatever floats your boat then man.

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i just don't like anything that has to do with microsoft.....that's why my OS is custom!

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Well, if you are using a Windows OS, then you do kinda like Micro$oft. :p
    I only use it due to the high amount of programs that are for it...

4. Batman168

Batman168 Well-Known Member

Well think about this....
    Let's put it into car relations....

If you get a weird noise in your car, who would you rather take it to (Other than fixing it yourself)
    1.A third party company who will offer you a trial of their service, only to fix what they need to do and nothing more
    or
    2.A first party repair shop that is the ones who made your car and probably knows more about it since they're the makers of it, and offers a free repair and tune-up when it's needed?

Basically; Microsoft knows more about their OS than anybody else does.

5. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i may use it, but i didn't like it, so i had a friend re-write it for me! only cost me $600USD.....and if i'm willing to pay that much to get something changed, it means i hated the original.....

and @ batman,
    my friend, who re-wrote it, is an EMPLOYEE for microsoft, doesn't mean i like microsoft, means i like him.....and i do my own repair work.....
    Post Merge: [time]1278461750[/time]
    BTW, i think this topic need moved to the debates section......

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Huh...I'd just get a Tiny version off the pirate bay or something. :p

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Who would you rather buy software from, the company that wrote it originally, or the company that stole the source code, altered it and sell it as their own?

regardless of how much microsoft may know about the software they claim they wrote, they don't know enough to fix the gaping secuity flaws it has, and their track record on security is very poor. Hence I don't trust their security software.

8. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i had specifications.....he did a total customize, with multiple programs....so he charged....but hey, the OS is on like 5 DVD's... 0_o ::)

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

My version of Windows could fit on a mini CD-R. :p

I would much rather be using ArchBang right now, but I unfortunately don't have enough DVDs or HDD space to backup all of this data for storage... :(

What exactly happened with that? I always wondered where it came from.

10. Batman168

Well i've had windows 7 and MSE (Which is on their website, so who went and stole the source??)
    I haven't had one virus or one slowdown ( I would know, I'm very anal about my FPS in games and an avid OCer )
    On that, I am very safe, and know what sites not to go on, and how not to get viruses in the first place (Even whilst downloading torrents)

And Catz, i'm very interested in seeing what you have, maybe make a thread with a few screenies and some details?

P.S. Vista sucks

11. Loonylion

MS-DOS was a stolen and altered version of CP/M.

windows itself contains code taken from other OSes including freeBSD and VMS.

12. Batman168

Hm wow, I hadn't heard of this, although I knew about freeBSD.

Either way, I am just saying I haven't had one problem, and my system is more stable than ever.
    Do you have any links with articles about this, Loony?

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

So, they're basically selling open-source/stolen software? And no one does anything about it?

14. Loonylion

it depends on the exact licenses involved, windows TCP stack comes from some variant of BSD though I can't remember which one exactly (though BSD is not strictly speaking open source as defined by GPL) and VMS is closed source. CP/M was also closed source at the time (open source didnt exist back then). It's been an open secret in the IT industry for years, but microsoft have far too much money for anyone to challenge them over it. CP/M took them to court on more than one occasion.

15. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I never knew that.

I would imagine that if people tried to sue them, then it wouldn't be a fair game. ::)