1. This forum is in read-only mode.

School is waste of time.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by calvin_0, Oct 23, 2010.

1. 730sparks

730sparks New Member

School is just to get people to a socialy competant level to live in the real world

2. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

In my opinion, school is basically a foundation for your future, jobs and friends. Without it, you probably won't have a lot of friends because you oftenly make a lot of friends in school. Math is important because you would know how to do your taxes and other funds and how much money you should get. English is just for communicating and how well you do and write on you resume and interview. Geography is for knowing how to read a map so you can get to places or travel to other places. Science is used so you can read hazard lables and know ingredients on labels and packaging. You can also know how to blow stuff up and know the nature and where/how to find stuff if your lost in a forest or whatever. Gym is just for physical crap which I really don't care about. French (in Canada) is the most useless thing in the world. I am probably never going to use it in the future. History is probably pretty useless and boring. Art is a place where you can express yourself such s drawing, acting and cooking stuff. You have to learn how to cook your own food. Every other extra thing is based on your own interests. Overall, I hate school but I love it at the same time. I always enjoy seeing a large flare or explosion in the Science room. That basically causes most of the fire alarms in the school, more than morons messing around with the fire alarms.

3. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Welp, damn, you and your ilk have my condolences. Considering how incredibly intelligent I am despite only ever having a fraction of the workload, I've gotta question the effectiveness of your system.

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

In Primary school (For us, 7-12 years of age) consists of 2 levels. The lower level (7-10) and the higher level (11-12). When you're 7, you go for Primary 1. When you're 8, you go for Primary 2, and so on. Primary 1 and 2 are in the afternoon session of the day (12:30-6:30) whereas Primary 3 onwards is in the morning session (7:20-12+). Right now I'm in Secondary 1(13).. well, I'm finished with the year already, and am on a 2-3month break. Anyways, ALL secondary school students, regardless of level, start in the morning (7:20) to 12+ depending on the school.

5. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

You have Home too? well my school have both Home and Shop or what they call it "Life Skill" in local language. Plus home sucks, it only consist of learning how to do chores... like your parent didnt teach you already >.<

6. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

That wouldn't happen to be...'Kemahiran Hidup', would it? LOL.
    Never mind.

Truth is, seemingly useless stuff CAN come in handy. Just like how studying shouldn't only be about getting good grades, learning shouldn't be about it's practical uses.

Sure, you can argue that we wouldn't really need to know which is the tallest mountain in the world, but it doesn't hurt to know what it is, does it? You don't know and don't care about a man named Alexander the Great, but still it wouldn't physically hurt you to learn, right?

At the very least, think about it this way. All knowledge is good. Our mind can keep an almost infinite amount of information, and stored information always comes in handy. For example, you could read a book like Jeffrey Archer's Paths of Glory, and you'll suddenly go 'HEY! Doesn't that Mallory name sound familliar?" Why, yes it is - he happens to be one of the first pioneers who hacked away at Mount Everest.

You could even meet some lady/guy at a bar, and he'll be reading something like 'How to Cook for Dummies.' and then you can randomly pour out some homemade tips by your Home Economics teacher. Or having to cook something and suddenly remembering you're supposed to do X or your noodles will stick to the pot.

You never know the coincidences of this world. At the very least, when you have kids in the future, and they ask you some stuff - you can proudly tell them that you DO know, that no matter how little, you DO know and that you ARE infinitely more knowledgeable than them, and have a finger in every pie.

But ah, what am I saying. I'm a high schooler myself so uh, whines away! >_>

7. calvin_0

yup, that it.

8. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Where I study, Val Ed is like a bonus where everyone gets 1. It's almost like you HAVE to try and fail.
    And there is pressure in where I study, if you fail BAD, you get kicked out.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Actually there is a limit, and IIRC its around 2-4 petabytes (1PB = 1024TB)

10. calvin_0

too bad most people cant retrieve those information after being stored by our brain. otherwise, the world would be full of Albert Einstein.

11. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Hmm, that is quite an interesting fact loony.

Is there a way to measure how large in size knowledge is, though? I mean, is a year of algebra a terabyte or a kilobyte? :p

12. tehuber1337

I'd like to see where you got this information. Digital data is heavily dependent on encoding and compression methods which cannot be applied analogously to the real world. I don't believe it's possible to quantify brainpower or capacity, especially with reference to computers.

13. calvin_0

from here? What Is the Memory Capacity of the Human Brain?

14. tehuber1337

15. calvin_0

i do, but until people figure it how to calculate human memory, its the best you can get. i mean human brain size is limited, so the memory capacity should be limited as well.

16. tehuber1337

"Until people figure it how to calculate human memory", any conjecture (even suggestions that memory is limited in the first place) is worthless and potentially misleading.

17. calvin_0

Brain size is limited, the number of neuron is limited and worse of all, when neuron die, it doesnt get replace once the brain matured.

base on all those facts, can you still think human memory is unlimited?

18. tehuber1337

It is possible for neurons to be replaced, and application of quantum theory suggests that memories may not even be stored locally, if the last few comments on the article are to be believed.

By the way, I never said that I thought memory was unlimited. What I said was that until we properly understand how the brain works, we should not make half-baked assumptions. That's one of the basics of scientific method.

19. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

should fap in the basement.

20. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I was told by one of my university lecturers.