1. This forum is in read-only mode.

School is waste of time.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by calvin_0, Oct 23, 2010.

1. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

I swear, this guy's going to make me cut off my ear. I would say what I think of this guy but I'd be breaking about 5 rules.

2. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't take a bath
    Post Merge: [time]1287911435[/time]
    This is dumbest question ever.
    Without history, you would have never been born.

3. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

ive had many conversations about politics and many othr things in which history has made me have strong opinions. and it makes you look smarter too when you mention something that happened in the past. also. i believe learning history is important for the reason of "history repeats itself". and by learning history, this could be avoided.

4. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

School can be a waste of time and also not a waste of time. It mainly depends on how you spend your time in school.

5. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

When I choose to vote later in life, history lessons would prove invaluable. History repeats itself, so you'll know what to expect if you just study history's past leaders and the current leaders.

6. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

If you think School is a waste of time, seriously you are wasting your life ;D

7. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I still don't know what I want to do. My job atm just fell into my lap. And I'm 22.

Honestly, people who don't know anything concerning politics, difference economies, different political systems or a shred of knowledge concerning any sort of history, are fucking ignorant. It's not only somewhat interesting to know the origins or a country, and if it isn't, it makes you look like less of an idiot. It's also a great tool in learning how to use concrete support in arguments when you reach the last years of high school when you write Social essays.

I also use math everyday, if it's not using numbers, then it's logical deduction, which is what Math is. Formulas help in deduction, claiming that they aren't useful because you'll never use it is irrelevant.

I expected this from someone in school, not someone who graduated, I HATED high school and never really saw the importance of what I learned until I actually grew up and matured a bit. Now I realize what I learned in school is not only academic skills but social skills and life skills. The broad spectrum of classes help to determine what kind of studies you like and want to pursue, 3 years of high school is fucking NOTHING, it's three years of learning how to suck it up, trudge through what you hate and enjoy what you like.

The one thing I absolutely hate is when people complain and complain, grow the hell up and learn to suck it up, if a woman can learn this, a boy or man can. No excuses.

I know I'm repeating stuff but I don't care.

8. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

This.

9. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

WOW./thread.

10. Magoran

Magoran Well-Known Member

Prove it better than this then. Please.

11. iandhe

iandhe New Member

school just place to hang out whatelse sick

12. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

Schooling is suppose to be practical:

1)Mathematics; gives you insight on logic and reasoning.

2)History; learning from the past is suppose to help you prevent disasters like WWI from happening and the current events as of right now serve as information for the future.

3)Physical education; well who likes to be fat...some people do, but not me 'cause I like to be lean and sexy.

4)Language; from birth this is the first skill ever learned for everyone, so communication is very important.

5)Science; the discovery of the mysterious and unknown have gotten us to where we are today with all of the technology and military power.

6)Art (my favorite subject); drawing, painting, and coloring are a luxury for me and being able to express yourself in a favorite department is the greatest form of liberty available.

7)Music; listening to a tune that makes you aware of all the notes and being able to apply them to a an instrument is pretty challenging. The right notes on the right spot sound like harmony.

School is pretty much taken for granted and it is a wrong move for most people. An individual cannot fully understand everything, but at least live life to its fullest. School is only thought of as something important, when you finally realize that your current job sucks and you should have done things that were related to your "dream job" in the first place. Going to school is a great privilege, 'cause it broadens your horizons.

13. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

Art class sucks when you're in middle school and elementary school.

We have to make all that abstract crap and follow some sort of a very restrictive theme for every project.

14. MohsinMVP

MohsinMVP Well-Known Member

school is good.... But 12 years is way to much. And when you get to college, your going to be really pissed. Like why the hell would you have to take wellness, English, and history classes when you are taking a major in computer engineering?

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I didnt, but I never saw the relevance of HCI (Human computer interaction) to a network engineer. Neither did anyone else in my class.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

School would have been more effective if the system allowed the student to choose whatever subject matter they wanted to study & learn stuff about instead of force feeding a lot of stuff with most of which not even interesting an individual.

Let's say early on a student finds interest in science (I think most every child gets interested in science due to Astronomy or Dinosaurs on 1st to third grade), then let him focus on that :)

There is actually such a school here in my country & the parents of children enrolled in said school always get a shock at first when they learn that that's how the school's system works. Add to this the fact that teachers in said school Do not force feed homework on the children & in fact they only serve as facilitators who are there to help the child out if said child is having difficulty with what he/she's studying about. Oh & what's more fun is, homework is decided by the kid if he/she needs further work on a subject he/she is interested in. It's also noteworthy that even though their teaching methods are so non-traditional & avant garde they do produce students who get high marks on standardized tests like the SATs.

The sad thing is, I can't remember what the damn school's name is, except that it's situated at the southern part of the capital :/ And the tuition for a child in that school cost an arm & a leg too :p

17. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I used to dream about being either a palaeontologist or a big damn action hero. Unfortunately I'm neither, and not because my school didn't encourage me or whatever. I grew up and realised they were pipe dreams, and nowadays the only damn I give about dinosaurs is for nostalgia.

I suggest finding some of the kids that school has brought up and asking them if they're happy with their job, assuming it's even in the same line as what they wanted to study all those years ago.

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@tehuber1337: Oh crap, I'm guessing you thought my post was about fixating at a particular field of study at an early age.

If so, then no that's not what I meant.

It's true that our interests change as we grow, more so with kids.

What I meant in my post was encouraging what subject matter the child is interested in at a particular instance rather than forcing them to learn a bunch of stuff all at once. Say today the child wants to study about math, then by all means let him. If after 30 minutes, an hour or even a day or so he loses interest & wants to read up on history then let him.

I kinda understand where Calvin is going with how much he's pissed off at school because I too had issues with several subjects we were "forced" to study, Home Economics (yes in my country boys AND Girls mandatorily had to study about home Ec, we don't have shop class here), Values Education (most eff'd up useless subject of all), & C.A.T. (R.O.T.C. for high school, another stupid mandatory subject enforced in my country). A typical high school student has 13~15 subjects he needs to sit through & study per day :p And the worst part is, each one has you doing homework & projects too, so yeah you basically have too much work load at an early age.

19. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Well, isn't it better for education to cater to our future rather than current intentions, given the disparity between the two?

I never had that many subjects at any one time, and good study habits reduce the workload immensely. If you know the content well enough, homework and projects simply become a matter of sitting down and applying that knowledge and won't take more than a few hours at most to complete.

I bludged like hell throughout my entire school life and I still turned out fine. I've always thought rumours of such workloads were greatly exaggerated.

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Rumors I assure you they're not.

Also, I forgot to mention the amount of time you spend in school. School (both elementary & in high school) here starts on 7AM & ends usually at 5PM or at 6PM, so that's 10 hours of school. Strangely what we call Recess here is actually lunch break, which lasts for 20 or 30 minutes. We often do not have an actual recess or rest period, except if you're enrolled in public school in the far off provinces where the day is cut like this,

..... I'll edit & continue this post in a minute as I need to log off & restart my PC a bit.

EDIT:

OK I'm back, now where was I... Right!

In the far off provinces school starts at seven in the morning & at 11:300 they have a break, signifying the end of the first half of school. At which point you can go home. Then the second half of the school day starts at 1PM & ends at 5PM.