1. This forum is in read-only mode.

School is waste of time.

Discussion in 'Debates' started by calvin_0, Oct 23, 2010.

1. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

than dont go to school if you think youre smart

2. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Unless you're not allowed on the team! :p

So you think your country would be no worse off if it were run by Stalin?

3. Reider

Reider Modereider

Honestly, the only issue I had with high school was that the material wasn't nearly hard enough. I could sleep through class all the time and still pass with flying colors.

It's pretty sad when the guy who slept through class still knew how to read and write better than virtually all his peers in his graduating class though.

It did make reading Shakespeare interesting enough to stay awake for however.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the American education system is shit and we should feel like shit for letting the people we're putting through our general education be this stupid. I got one hell of a wake-up call when I started going to college thanks to this crap.

I blame "No Child Left Behind".

4. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

I agree with Reider above. As a current HS student in the US, I can sleep through half my classes (and often do, after staying up all night) and still pass easily.
    This includes pre-calc, with I royally suck at and yet still pass.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Damn. Same thing happened to me, but I paid attention in class.
    I never really applied myself in school and I still passed with Bs and As. :p
    And college was a wake up call. BIG time.

6. Frivera360

Frivera360 Guest

It aint a waste of time if you have friends.

7. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

My highschool is mostly bad but they let choose your subjects in year 9 to do in year 10 and 11. You have to do the basic maths,english,science and ICT, but you get to choose two other subjects and a DT option. Well i chose the diploma Construction which gets me out of my school for two days,the course isn't that bad but it counts as the two subjects. For the DT i chose woodwork/resistant materials. I chose them because i would want to be an Architect or a Joiner when im older. Thats a good point but my school has made bad decisions, they got rid of coursework which challenges the years 10 and 11, and makes us to try to find the information out and to try to do it on our own. Removing it won't help us at all, coursework is supposed to be challenging and is supposed to help the students learn but they got rid of it. The quality of school mainly depends on the students and where you live since different places may have different ideas of learning.

8. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

And you must go to school a little longer because you misspell easy words...

9. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

Also helps some people stay out of trouble and stop FREAKING annoying some adults lol.

10. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

But in return, adults we call teachers have to be annoyed instead :p

11. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

Yep but then again each adult has 20 kids.So I guess they are real people pleasers.lol

12. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I respect your point of view, but I didn't decide to be a computer engineer until I was 16. I was lucky enough to have the requisite general education to be able tosteer myself down that path for the last two years of high school. A lot of people don't have any clue what they want to do. My sister is 17 and she still has no idea.

As for the algebra/calculus, I actually preferred knowing how to do most of it manually. It helps you understand the correct practical applications for a given equation, and conversely helps you figure out what could be used to model a solution to a problem. Sure, a lot of people won't need this skill since they don't work in technical fields, but as we've been trying to beat into calvin, some people do so that doesn't make it useless.

13. Don9aldo

Don9aldo Well-Known Member

Well, in an ideal world everyone would know exactly what career path they would want to follow from an early age and have private tuition where they learned exactly what they needed to become a master in their field.

But saying as it would be impossible to teach every kid in the country 1-on-1 we have to settle for school, where everyone learns generally useful (if impractical) information until they are able to understand exactly what they want to become and then move on to university where everything they are taught can be applied to what they want to become.

14. gaynorvader

People in glass houses...

15. Admiral_Lindsay

Admiral_Lindsay Well-Known Member

I hate school because I learned stuff from it and it got me to college and asdsfsdfdskldffdh.
    School is so useless.

16. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

apparently, whoever started this thread is still kinda young to notice the values of school. even though you think all you learn in school is pointless, it is not. i actually use alot of what i learned in school, in real life. things like history, math, english. all useful. and school is not just about learning. but also creates social skills and other really important values that prepare you for life

17. Omega_2

Omega_2 Strings Cat

only about 2 seconds of this is relevant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKoOf-yZOw&feature=iv#t=1m29s&hd=1

18. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

care to give an example of history lesson help you in life?

19. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

My friend is doing studies at university on history. She intends to make a career out of classical studies (Roman and Greek culture).

20. gaynorvader

I've had many interesting conversations with people about history and I can see similarities cropping up in world events now that mimic those that took place in the past. Anyone wishing to be a politician should have a good background in historical events.