1. This forum is in read-only mode.

RomUlation is migrating again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calvin_0, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Just curious, why is this happing?

2. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I think they need a new safe place.

3. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Is it possible that non-contracted developers still exist?
    I mean the undergrad student, or just a normal member that isn't under a developmental deal with any company?
    Someone just looking for a place to expand their portfolio?
    You can't tell me everyone is contracted to 'Ninny'.

And I saw where you mentioned Patton is at the top of his field. I know a bit of his background, but you're in demand too I would assume.
    I am returning to college soon enough Loony, any recommendations on a decent money making major. I could care less of the time it takes, or the amount of dedication.
    I used to repair computers and get rid of trojans/worms and had to repair and change HD's.
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Sorry to the OP, Calvin_O, for hijacking the thread sorta speak.

At least Rom U is safely up now and running alright, sans the pop up ads.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

nothing to do with that.

Yes they do exist, but my concern is that it may actually prevent them being able to get a contract in the future. I don't know, I'd have to discuss it with seph.

I don't know what my thoughts are, I thought I would have no problems getting a job with the qualifications I got, but two years later I still haven't managed. I don't know if its the wholesale selling off of our companies to foreign interests, or the economy still being up the spout or whether employers are just put off by my disabilities, or a combination of factors but every application I make I'm either being rejected or I just never hear anything further. im running out of ideas for myself, quite frankly so I'm really not in a position to advise someone else.

5. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I'm now in the same boat, a shoulder problem has forced me to quit what I do. I am now unemployed. To be honest I love the time I have free to do stuff.
    Im also looking at a new career, I thought about some kind of computer course but I don't think at almost 32 its worth the time I would spend learning.
    Im just going to find a cushy office job, I have the qualifications already, I just hope I don't go mad with boredom.

So Loony, are you going to tell us the reason behind the move? The future of RomU?

6. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Actually, you're in the perfect position to advice someone else. Thing about you is, as most people have no clue as to what the situation is, you have given examples as to why you think you're not in a better position. You're not making excuses, you're actually making valid points.
    Basically it's a bad time for just about anyone. The junior developers league, is just a way to not only keep the site going, but make a quick improvisation to keep the site game orientated, without having to completely overhaul it all.

I'm not kissing your ass Loony, but you've always been the one member that never seemed bias, always called it as it was, and put more effort to correctly answer someone, without the extra sarcasm some users seem to be imbued with.

I hate to say it, but the UK is killing you.
    Do you think you could move to the states? I know it may sound fu**** up, but all those things that hold you back there(outsourcing,disability, or general economical woes) could be turned to your advantage here.

It's just a fight for survival to hold your head above water, much less trying to swim for shore.

Deep down, I know there is something much better out there for you. But like you're in the wrong place at the right time, you need to be in the right place at the wrong time.
    That is how 99% of the United States got to where we are now.

Keep fighting.

7. Loonylion

I do want to move to the US, but theres only two means of doing that: get a job in the US and have an employer sponsor me (means they sign paperwork saying they cant get an american to do the job). This route takes 6 months - 1 year. The other is to invest $1 million into a US company (or $500,000 if it provides employment for at least 10 americans). I don't have that kind of money.

8. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

If you cant find a job,then youve got to be self-employed in some capacity.Ive never liked working for a firm,as I found out Im more useful than like my bosses were.I tried benfits once,but I stopped as I was sick of some stupid cow making out that I was happy living off of £50 a week(that hardly kept me in FAGS for a week LOL).

A fast way of making cash right now is to play online poker.All you need is yourself and a couple of mates to play at the same table whilst you use online chat/phones and cream people until you get banned for collusion.

Its legal and it works

9. Loonylion

my parents wont let me be self employed, they say its too risky and I should get a proper job and start my own business on the side. I also dont have time to do any work on my own because I'm forever getting yelled at to do stuff around the house. My parents completely ignore the fact that I might have worthwhile things to do on my own account.

10. theunderling

Thats the fun of staying at home.I got turfed out at 19 because I wouldnt do the garden and I was going to fill in my father-Ive only talked to him about 6 x times in the last 24 years LOL.He should get you a driving licence and a car and HELP you get something sorted out,instead of being on your case all the time.

11. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Just one quick question.
    How serious are you about economical dispersion sponsorhisp(EDS).
    That is what our federal and local magstriates have deemed the programs set to sponsor someone to move over here and work.
    They pay for up to a year's rent, financial compensation, and allow you to pick your field for the job you're looking for.
    It's more or less your abilities that count. If they see potential, even if you have much going against you, then you'll get continued sponsorship.
    All this election BS and senate seats, made me look into it.
    It's just a hypothetical question. But if you and your parents agreed to it, you quite possibly could be stateside by April of next year at the latest.

Just bare in mind it's a hypothetical account, so for now, don't pay it too much mind.

12. Loonylion

unless thats the get a green card by employment thing, I've not heard of it.

13. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Is there really better prospects in America?
    If I was 100% certain I would be on a flight tomorrow.

14. Loonylion

if you have a degree, yes. You can't get a decent job there without a degree and most of the population can't afford to go to university, so there can be a lot less competition.

15. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Nope. Due to an initiative made by state legislate, it amounts to allowing you to showcase your abilities, and not just get over here and work, but end up making a career out of it all.
    I will get all the full info and get it back to you, in the hopes you'll at least look over it.
    I wouldn't have mentioned it, but the fact you've proven yourself more than capable means that I have no qualms about making sure you get the chance I didn't.

At any rate, I will get you the additional information(by that I mean the 'worded' explanation) and let you decide.

16. theunderling

I said before that Loony needs to move to another city,but moving to a different country is a huge step.......

17. Loonylion

It is, but its not looking like I have a choice.

18. theunderling

Can you not send your CV to like Shell/BP/Haliburton/Knaerver/Wood Group here in Aberdeen.There was some ex Commie that actually kipped in a tent outside an oil company-and they gave him a job

19. Loonylion

ive been sending letters/CVs all over the place (except manchester, london and birmingham since I don't like big cities), and around 98-99% of them I don't even get a reply from.

20. dedboy

dedboy Guest

You have choices. You can get a start elsewhere, and always move back to the UK.
    It's not set in stone. It's just an opportunity that you might get passed over for there, that here you wouldn't.
    Luckily, due to the computer background you possess, you might be able to work in a remote location, thus meaning you don't have to go anywhere.