1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ROM/ISO hacking

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by SplinterOfChaos, Apr 14, 2007.

1. SplinterOfChaos

SplinterOfChaos Well-Known Member

How do you do it? A friend and I were talking about downloading Persona 2: Innocent Sin and copying the translated test into the game and replacing the normal text that way. (I know there's more to it, but it's a start from where others who know the language could pick up.)

So the basic question boils down to how and will it be in Japanese?

2. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Translating is harder than you think. Not only is their text.. There's pictures that have words on them!

3. Reider

Reider Modereider

I copied this from this site.
    http://www.romhacking.net/start/#trans

I take no credit for this.

4. SplinterOfChaos

SplinterOfChaos Well-Known Member

"Translating is harder than you think. "

I know. But you don't know how hard I think it is. But those pictures with the letters on them are still not the hardest part because I can upload a font created using an online font thingy and upload to the source file (or whatever they use) and replace the Japanese alphabet. A harder part would be making sure I know where to put the text, seeing as I may see the letters, but not know their meaning. Then the actual learning of byte code. But seeing as I'm going to be a programmer, I'll need to learn that anyway. Plus working in Java requires working in byte code for user input.

I know that there's a lot more than I even mentioned, but in the end, hopefully I could find someone else to finish the project anyway. My ignorance of the process is too great to ever fully translate.

"I copied this from this site."

Ooh, thanks. I went to that site but didn't know where that stuff was held. Now I know, and it's a great start.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

japanese is a nightmare to translate; one character in japanese could be one character in the western alphabet, however, it could also be a word or even an entire sentence. Context is of the utmost importance; if it is not correctly translated you end up with things like 'All your base are belong to us' ;)

6. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

LOL! Well I'm planing to learn japanese next year!

7. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

I was learning Japanese for a while...but stopped because I didn't have enough free time.
    But I think I'll start again..and since Im also planning to become a programmer...
    translating games would be a nice way to get a head-start

Also...you'd want to be a bit slow to not realise "All your base are belong to us" is incorrect...
    It should obviously be "All your base's is belong to us" ::) ;D

8. Loonylion

actually, it should be 'Your entire base belongs to us' or 'We have captured your entire base' :p

9. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

Interesting didint know you peeps were also base attackers, guess I gotta prepare my base for base attack, or mightest will attack your base eh loony......... :p naww..really your base is mine loony, seriously not joking your base is gonna be mine muahahahaha.......... ;D

10. Loonylion

not until you find it :p