1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"Ripoff" fix?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by treec_cynda, Jan 15, 2011.

1. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

I'm buying Pokemon cards from a friend of mine, he says he doesn't need them anymore. Everyone I know says he's ripping me off, when in fact he's giving me the same price as a regular retailer here: 50 cents a card. How do I convince them that he's giving me a good deal?

Thanks for answers.

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

The only way you guys will both benefit is if you find the value of each card and he sells those cards to you at what it is valued at.

50 cents a card for absolute crap cards is a ripoff. Now if they're all holographic, then that's a different story, but I'm assuming he's giving you every card he has.

As a seller, I'd sell all of my cards at $0.50 a piece. I've got thousands sitting around in boxes...

I'd have a tier setup if you don't want to look up the value of each card (but I'd still look up the value on a few of the holographics...)
    $0.05 for common
    $0.10 for uncommon
    $0.25 for rare
    $0.50 for most holographic cards
    $1.00 for promotional, non-booster pack cards (movie event cards, etc.)
    Double the value for any 1st editions.
    *This will most likely work in your favor.

Personally, I'd just price out the holographic cards and promotional ones individually and screw the rest of the cards.

3. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Okay, let me further explain.

I'm buying cards from my friend so I can assemble theme decks. Here's his price scheme:

25 cents for card case
    50 cents for common card
    75 cents for uncommon card
    1 USD for rare card
    2 USD for this really cool Electabuzz he has

+25 cents for holographic card
    +25 cents for foreign card (Spanish, Italian, etc.)
    +25 for shiny card (as in, shiny illustrations)

I recently went broke (BROKE not BANKRUPT) buying these cards, spending nearly 40 USD. After that happened (that was the night before my birthday, and what a birthday present this was) I'm having trouble getting cash to buy more. I need to convince everyone that my friend is NOT ripping me off so I can get more cash so I can get more cards.

And no, that does NOT mean I'm going to be buying cards from people on RomU.

4. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Problem is that he is ripping you off, and you're in denial.
    50 cents for regular cards...I'm telling you, that's way too much.

Ask for a bulk discount since you're buying so much.
    That may be considered retail by your standards, but the words retail and markup should be synonymous.

50 cents is expensive since most competitive decks are basic pokemon, common/uncommon cards, and then filled with stage 1/2, which may or may not be holographic.
    For a full 60 card deck, it'd be at least $30 per deck...That's expensive man.

5. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

And if they are second-hand, then $0.50 dollars are to expensive.
    When I was young, there was this guy and he had an album of cards (Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh) and he was selling them near our school for 25-30 Php each (about 50 cents too at that time.)
    They were expensive, but I still bought some really cool ones.

6. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I don't get why you are paying half a Euro for a stupid paper card...I mean, here you can get one card for 10 cents, and a whole pack of 10 for +/- 75 cents.

7. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

You should probably look up the prices online. I know a few people whos till play Pokemon competetively (I'm a semi-active member in the MTG/WoW TCG community) and I know some commons can go for around a dollar a piece. Since most people just collect these cards for "collecting" and they have no idea about the real prices of the cards (the day I sold my charizard first edition for a dollar T_T) but I'm pretty sure you're getting ripped off for 50 cents a piece.

Take into fact the quality too, if they're in any bad quality, they're probably not resellable.

Just look into:
    -usability
    -possible combos
    -quality

that should give an overall feel on the prices.

~Major card geek

8. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Euros are more valuable than USD, therefore if I was spending half a Euro (68 US cents) I would be spending more. I'm spending less than you specify.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Wait...you bought pokemon cards off a friend?

He ripped you off regardless if they were even 1 cent.

FRIENDS DONT SELL TRADING CARDS TO EACH OTHER-THEY TRADE!

10. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Yeah, but he doesn't want them anymore.

He originally just offered his whole collection for $100, and that IS a ripoff. When I didn't take it, he cut the price.

11. yoshi2889

Not really. Pokemon cards are expensive shit.

12. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I would not buy commons for 50 cents a card. That's a damn ripoff right there. Now, a rare for 50 cents is a good deal. Especially if it's something like a Dark Blastoise from the original Rocket series. Or an original Wartortle that has a Wartortle in the evolution box in the upper left-hand side of the hard (I have one. :)). Other than that, you're getting ripped teh hell off.

And is it the entire collection of 453? If so, then you're going to be paying a LOT of money for those cards.

That's a fucking aggravated robbery in my book...
    You'd be better off buying cards offline in bulk amounts and hoping for the best. I just need two more cards...I think I'll buy them today!

13. yoshi2889

50 cents is still to much for just a paper card in my opinion...

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Not if it's a rare. It's a bad deal for an uncommon or common if you're buying in bulk. There's a card shop I go to and they sell commons for 10 cents a piece and uncommons for 25 cents a piece. Not bad if you don't want to try to get cards from packs. Much cheaper in the long-run as well.

15. yoshi2889

Yeah but they are just paper stuff...regardless if it's "rare" or not.

16. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Does that the 1st edition of batman is the same as a mass produced 1st edition replica ?
    Just because they are paper stuff

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It's just something people collect. I collect video games, video game consoles/handhelds, rocks, fossils, Magic Cards, and Pokemon cards. It's just something that I enjoy doing. Well, some people play the cards, I play Magic, but I just collect the Pokemon cards. Some are very hard to get too that I have.

18. king_leo

king_leo Well-Known Member

i have a dark charmilion

also say that you have other people buying them

19. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

What?

20. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

I would be able to buy a 3DS if I would sell all my pokémon cards for 0.50 € each :D