1. This forum is in read-only mode.

rice shortage

Discussion in 'General News' started by bhatooth, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

why? whats your reason

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

It was a 22kg bag for $60. And proper asian rice too. Not sure if it's chinese or thai though. My mum bought a "Home Brand" bag of rice, she's trying it out. Non-asian of course. Yeah, sure are getting expensive. I love it though.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Somewhat off topic though, what are your sentiments on "modified" more resilient strains of rice, I'm quite unsure if they're genetically altered or cross bred though

4. iceredaph32

iceredaph32 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they're made to solve current rice shortage so i'm not really opposing modified rice

5. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

modfied rice? are they modifying the rice?

6. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

cross breeding, genetic modification and the like

7. clyffe28

they are modifying the genetic capabilities to have rice that can cope up with its surroundings eg: can live without water for some days, live on hard soil, live on too much water, etc

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I read that they modified rice genes with dandilion genes to make rice more resilient to certain plant diseases & develop a defense mechanism to certain pests, insects ofcourse.

9. clyffe28

well I thought that was only a one of the many reasons why they make geneticaly modified rice

10. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

ah i know to make rice and corn planted all year-round and make hybrid rice

11. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Yeah, they do do that, I think it's in INRI.. Something about a rice institute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.