1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Recent Illegal download action

Discussion in 'General News' started by monter, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Metric system? You use STONES! That's not the metric system, we use kilograms... Anyway, that's a tangent, on-topic from now on.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we don't use pounds and stones any more, we used to. We use metric for weights now.

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Right, you're supposed to, but you don't. Hell there was even a recent UK television show that used stones, and they used a weight scale measuring stones and not kilograms. So you might be supposed to use the metric system, but it's certainly not something that's generally done. But I suppose that's really too much to expect anyway, if we were to change to the imperial system it'd take years too.

4. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

we use stones when it is the weight of someone e.g. how fat they are but in terms of every other measurement we use the metric system

5. Loonylion

Aside from milk and beer, which are still allowed to be sold in pints (although milk is heading towards being sold in litres), speed, which is measured in miles per hour, and road distances, which are measured in yards and miles. The metric system is the only system taught in schools now.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Horses are still measured in hands are they?

7. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

I didn't think he made a joke about fat...

8. Loonylion

'hands' is specific to equinine measurements and thus is neither metric nor imperial.

9. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Back on topic.

BT, Virgin, Orange, Tiscali, BSkyB and Carphone Warehouse

Lucky I'm with O2 then!

10. Rhamsey

Rhamsey Member

yeah, im pretty sure this is true. its based in the faith of Americas economy, and that it is worth what the government says it is. also, because of this you can no longer take a dollar and go to the reserve and get gold for it instead (like the old days). however, i havent taking a global or us history class in about 3 years, but im sure this is how it works.
    oh, and dont forget, not only gold has been used for currency, the most early forms of it were things that were necessarily to live. like foods, sure this is like trading, but if you have something worth food, and trade it to someone, who uses it to get food. thats pretty much currency.

did anyone see the economics cartoon in high school where the islanders used shells as their form of currency?

oh, and i read that article, does anyone know if they are doing something similar in the US? (or have already) and it seems to only involve media like music and maybe movies. but they are going after the uploaders too, thats not nice

11. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

there's some random place that uses donut-shaped rocks as their currency.
    the bigger the rock, the more its worth.

and they put them outside of their houses.
    imagine trying to pay something with a 100 lb. donut shaped rock?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.