1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4DS and microSD cards.... Need help understanding =)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by aussniper, Jul 16, 2007.

1. aussniper

aussniper Member

sorry i take so long to reply.
    I just got my DS, i would like to know what i need to do to connect
    to the internet? and how do i get a friend code?

Thanks

2. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

You need a wireless internet connection and a W-Fi-compatible game to connect to Wi-Fi. The game gives you the option to set the DS' connection settings to set everything up. Once that's done, just log onto W-Fi with your game and you'll automatically be given your Friend Code for that particular game.

3. spook2575

spook2575 New Member

most of the 4gb cards are mirco sdhc (high capacity) which won't work on the r4 ds/m3 simply. 2 gb is more than enough, afterall yuo arent going to play a lot of games at once, whilst most games can be stored on pc until you do decide to play them.

4. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Or you can just buy several 1 or 2 GB cards.

5. Quavers

Quavers Member

Always note if you want to buy Scandisk SD card, made in Taiwan or made in Japan are both as good.
    However, if you want to buy Kingston SD card, always buy the made in Japan instead or made in China. There has been lot of complains, from those who bought Kingston SD card made in China, about lags especially for games such as Castlevania.

As for size, if you care going to store videos, you would need at least for 2GB. If you use it for games only, 1GB is sufficent. 2GB is nice. ;D For 1GB, it stores about on average 20 games unless your games are all extra huge.

For download play, the newest rom trimmer for R4 / M3 simply have fixed the download play problem.

6. Quatro09

Quatro09 Active Member

I just got my DS too.. I got a question.. I'm using R4DS, can i log onto wi-fi too..? Or is wi-fi for DS catrideges only..?

Thank's

7. sean-dude

sean-dude Well-Known Member

everyone says that u need to download the firmware!!! i just use the one that came with the box because when ever i used a different one it didnt work

8. Quatro09

Quatro09 Active Member

We're you able to play Zelda: Phantom Hourglass with it..?

9. sean-dude

sean-dude Well-Known Member

10. cfiniris

cfiniris Well-Known Member

Then you were lucky enough to have the freshest firmware anyway.

Yeah, I can verify firsthand now that the R4DS is Wi-Fi compatible.

11. awfreak

awfreak Active Member

hi. so i made the mistake of buying a CycloDS... well, preordered as it looks like 2 months and MIGHT get one in my hands, eventually.

considering cancelling (store is nice enough to cancel if i want ! lucked out there)

looking at the R4 now.......

BUT, their site says support 4GB MicroSD card..... they DONT EXIST. 4gb are sdhc like someone mentioned, so why say 4gb supported ?

12. chibibaka

chibibaka Member

If you preordered the Cyclosds evolution then youd mine as well stick with it unless you want to save money and go with the r4.

Also the next update for the R4 is supposively adding support for SDHC cards so yeah ^^

13. davisito93

davisito93 New Member

Hate to break it to you all but the R4 and M3 do not support SD cards over 2GB, at least not yet. The new Kernel is supposed to fix that so the R4 and M3 can support SD card up to 32 GB. Its hasn't been confirmed but its something to be looking forward to.

14. Quatro09

Quatro09 Active Member

Wow..! Thank's for the info..! Can't wait to use the GTS.. The only problem now here is for me to find a hotspot..

15. Okay i bought an R4DS and a 2gb Micro SD card from this site

http://www.model-gadget.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=737&osCsid=cd4d5788fa99cf37679e9d9cfe2fa31b

When it comes you should have a Micro SD and a R4DS box inside are

The R4DS
    A little Carry Case (Holds two DS games in)
    A Micro SD USB reader
    Two Micro SD Adapters
    and a disk (Full of the software you will need)

(No need to download anything because its all there on the disk)

Okay now im gonna lead you through it step by step

-First insert the disk and load it up (DUH!)
    -Second go onto a file called "System v1.11"
    -Third go onto a file called "English-1.11"
    -Fourth get your Micro SD card and put it into the USB reader
    -Fifth Upload all the files onto your Micro SD via USB

_system_
    moonshl
    _DS_MENU
    _DS_MSHL.nds

-Sixth make a new file inside your Micro SD and call it "Games"
    -Seventh Download a .nds rom from this AWSOME website https://www.romulation.org/
    -Eigth Upload the game onto your Micro SD (put it in the "Games" file)
    -Ninth take the Micro SD USB out and inser the card back into your R4DS (the DS cartrage)
    -Tenth turn your DS/DS Lite on and go onto Games
    -Eleventh find the game you just uploaded press "A" and make a new save file
    -Twelve play the game and have fun

That might be alot but its easy to understand you can also upload music onto it and it should run the music if you go onto Mulimedia

There you go simple eh!?

Make sure you have fun with it and try not to be to rough with the R4DS i broke mine so the spring for the Micro SD dont work lol

Anyways yet again have fun

BYE BYE

16. barltonx

barltonx New Member

Too bad R4 can't play GBA games. There are lots of good GBA games which i can't play on my ds.

17. myuusmeow

myuusmeow Active Member

For just $15 bucks, grab a EZ-Flash 3-in-1 and you get RAM for browser and rumble for DS games too.

18. Quatro09

Quatro09 Active Member

I got a question regarding R4DS.. I know that it can play MP3s.. But i wanna know if it can play videos like MP4.. If it does, what format it can play (like 3gpp, wma, mpeg, etc)..? And, can someone explain to me what is moonshell..? My R4DS is chinese version, so i dont really understand what's it saying..

19. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

moonshell is the R4 media player, and it is only capable of playing video in the .dpg format.

20. StinkFingr

StinkFingr New Member

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but to access the internet through a wi-fi connection you will need the slot-2 memory expansion cart or the entire browser package, both available from nintendo.com.