1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS3 vs 360 vs Wii

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Littlekill, Oct 10, 2010.

1. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

True, but the PS3 reads a lot of information off of the disk. The Wii U seems to be reading data off of its hardware which requires a lot more RAM.

2. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

that isnt set on stone tho, it points out that 1 GB is also used for software, in theory couldnt that GB used for the procesing of the game? or later on reduce the amount used when not running the menu and re route it for the games? unless the whole architecture makes that impossible or it isnt possible anyway

anyway i found out more about the U specs wise:

The dev kits use 3core IBM cpu's with 3Mb cache,(3x the x360's cache)[/size]1GB gaming memory, 1GB system memory,(at least twice of ps3/x360)Game capacity up to 25GB, read speed = 22.5MB/s (PS3 = 9MB/s)Dev kits have 32MB of edram (3 times the X360).The GPU is based on Radeon 7000 series.

3. gaynorvader

That right there is exactly why I said comparing the Wii U to the current gen systems would be pointless. Moving goalposts. We'll have to wait until it comes out before we can properly discuss its pros and cons. Looking at that processor though, it isn't as powerful as the one in the PS3 (not sure about the one in the 360). Will that effect the Wii U's performance? I don't know tbh.

4. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

I'm deeply confused how the Wii U fits into this entire thread, PS3, 360 and Wii all came out around the same times in 05-06, and now we're trying to compare a system thats not even out yet in the year 2012 to these? 6-7 years later and you're trying to scoff at the ps3 and 360 for not being as strong as it.

What's fucking hilarious about that is, the Wii U is only SLIGHTLY more powerful than the 360, 7 FUCKING YEARS LATER.

5. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

lolsilly dwellers of cellars.
    Caring about console specs is so 2011.

6. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

The Wii U would have been great in 2005.

7. Littlekill

that doesnt rhyme with 2000 and late

8. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Blame it on Duncan. I'm pretty sure he's a Nintendo fanboy...

I'm glad that the majority of us agree with you that Nintendo severely behind the times in terms of technology.

10. Duncan Idaho

In this particular case i might show up like one, and i'll be honest sure the wii is very outdated tech, but i had loads of fun with it and some developers actually came with intresting ways to use the wiimote, not everything is perfect but i have several titles i like and love, same thing i can say off my PSP, my PSone and my PC :/, i also put in the wiiu towards discussion due that the wii a) is no longer supported and b) the internet these days is comparing the console to the PS3/360 and as far as specs go those are out nintendo life has the official ones i think.

11. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

It wasn't meant to, mate.

12. insanecrazy07

I feel like you're trying to persuade me that a Taurus revolver is just as good or can be held to the same standard as a Smith and Wesson, or a Ruger...

And that last bit you said...I have no freaking idea what you're trying to say there...

13. Littlekill

He's trying to say the internet keep comparing the Wii U to the PS3/360, and by internet he means the gamefaqs forums, which is pretty much the largest cess pool of trolls if you disregard 4chan

14. Duncan Idaho

@insanecrazy07 @littlelink

i dint only meant gamefaqs (and i admit i need to work on my redaction and choice of words) i've been going around other places as joystiq, nintendo life, kotaku, ign (a similar nest of trolls), etc., pretty much all wii discussion has died and instead has moved towards the wii u, a lot of the users there keep compairing the wiiu to the 360 and PS3, there are things that has been said and things that have been planted as rumors.

and insane i have no idea of what you were speaking with the whole gun stuff, i dont own or use or like guns (outside metal gear games but that is fiction anyway) so you spoke in chinese to me.

15. gaynorvader

Nevertheless, the Wii was Nintendo's competitor to the Xbox 360 and PS3. The fact that it is already no longer supported is further proof of what a terrible "next gen" console it was. Nintendo's marketing department is top notch though and they managed to outsell the other two by a comfortable margin. I'd like to point out that the Eye Toy was "original" in it's concept, but really terrible and I'm glad Sony didn't force you to use it like the Wii did with their cheap, sub par motion controls. The idea behind the Wii's controls was good, but the hardware used was too inaccurate to make games work. Most of the games I played were rubbish once the novelty of the motion controls wore off. The good ones were the ones you could play with the classic Wiimote.
    As for the Wii U, comparing it with the PS3/360 is a bit unfair as it would be similar to comparing a PC that costs €500 now to one that cost €500 5 years ago. However, the main thing I dislike about the Wii U is the controllers. They look too big (much like the original Xbox controllers) and they are not shaped particularly ergonomically (they don't conform to your hand). It looks to me like it's going to be another casual system. Which is fine, but I won't be spending money on it as I prefer playing casual games on a handheld.
    Perhaps I'll be proven wrong (stranger things have happened), it's really too early to form concrete opinions one way or the other.

Basically, after the Wii U has actually been released for a couple of months, we can start comparing it to the 360/PS3. Until then you can spout all the specs you want, it is meaningless, we'll have to wait and see.

16. insanecrazy07

I still don't see how this justifies bringing up the Wii U in a PS3/360/Wii discussion. LET'S BRING UP THE PS VITA BECAUSE THEY DID!!!

You could also just google a few of the guns from each company and you'll be able to tell immediately which ones have a much nicer fit and finish compared to the others.
    You could also troll their manufacturer websites and see the suggested retail prices on them.
    You don't need to be an expert on guns to understand the metaphor.

17. Trala123

Trala123 Member

I pretty much don't care personally. But I have to give my vote to the PS3 power-wise although that XBox360 is able to render pretty stuff too. I could post proofs but I'm too lazy. The Wii, although a good console, is indeed lacking but it doesn't mean it has bad games or bad graphics. It's just more limited.

@Himura Battousai
    If you invest, you'll be good for 5-7 years straight. My bro had a Core 2 Duo E6700, 4GB of DDR2 ram and an nVidia GeForce GTX260 until very recently. You know what? That thing, although it was like 6 years old (the motherboard, CPU, 10k RPM HDD and 7.2K RPM HDD... the rest was a bit newer), was running Battlefield 3. Yes, it was at low settings but it was still running the game OK (25-30FPS). Of course, if you don't have at least 1500$ to invest then, you better go with a console. Upgrading a PC 14 times a year to play games is pure BS. I'm pretty sure you are exagerating but still.

18. Mr.PowPow

Mr.PowPow Well-Known Member

I think the point that was trying to be made is the quality of the storytelling and innovation of that kind. Not simply how the game is presented in terms of graphics, trust me the former is much more important.

In the gaming industry we need better concepts, THEN we need better equipment to enhance it. No point in polishing shit....because in the end, its still shit.

19. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

has a wii and a ps3.
    played xbox

-PS3

20. Nachtholm

Nachtholm Member

360, Ps3 or Wii?

Forget those beans! I vote for this thing!

http://www.stupidfingers.com/projects/sg/

It's a SNES, NES Genesis and Atari all in one with all original hardware.