1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS3 Emulator

Discussion in 'General News' started by DeGladiator, Jan 25, 2013.

1. DeGladiator

DeGladiator Well-Known Member

Are you ready for this; you might want to sit down... Oh wait, you are siting down; well then, get ready to live! Some major news today from the PC emulator scene, as the "PS3 emulator", aka rpcs3, is now more functional than ever before; adding to it the ability to run small homebrew titles. Now, in NO WAY IS THIS A FULL PS3 EMULATOR, but with the way technology increases... I would say it should not be too long hopfully. But in the meantime, I hope the PS3 scene developers really enjoy this release!

[​IMG]

About rpcs3 SVN r43:
    rpcs3 SVN r43 is compiled. rpcs3 is an open source PlayStation 3 (PS3) emulator for the Microsoft Windows. Current versions can run only small homebrew for PS3. Developers are planning to make it to emulate PS3 on its speed in the near future.

rpcs3 purpose:
    - Make PS3 developers easily test their apps and homebrews on PC without crashing their PS3 or moving their apps from PC to PS3.
    - Just playing PS3 games on your PC and have fun! ( In the future )

rpcs3 SVN Changelog:
    r43
    rpcs3:
    - Emulated more PPU / SPU instructions.
    - Fixed some PPU syscalls.
    - Fixed issue 4.
    - Improved CompilerELF.

Download
    http://down.emucr.com/v3/3500002

2. Eadelas25

Eadelas25 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wait a bit to see how successful the developers will be able to fully emulate the PS3. Hopefully they succeed because I want a tool to test out the games I might be interested in buying.

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

An average computer cannot handle PS3 titles.
    So no way will this eventually become a fully working PS3 emulator.

4. Eadelas25

Eadelas25 Well-Known Member

Well, that burst my bubble. Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy and hope it was worth it.

But why develop something like this if the chances of fully emulating a PS3 is slim to none?

Just for homebrew?

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

The PS3 is a good system. It's not that expensive these days (depending on where you live of course) and it has a good range of games available.
    So I can guarantee you, it'll be worth it.

To give hope to people like you :)
    People hope things like full PS3 emulation will become possible in the near future. But if this was ever going to work, you'd need a kick-ass computer to run it.

And yeah, this looks like it'll be mostly for homebrew. Which isn't a bad thing. There are a lot of good homebrew apps and game out there. Not just for PS3 but for a lot of other consoles as well.

6. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Why would you even want to emulate PS3 games?
    Most of the games are on PC as well, in better quality.

And no, PS3 exclusives aren't worth the pain to code a PS3 emulator.

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

It kind of depends on what computer you have.
    Everyone has the same PS3, so the graphics are same for all of them. But not everyone has a PC. If someone has a crap PC (graphics wise) then the graphics are pretty bad. But if they have good graphics, then it can be better than the PS3. It all depends on the computer.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

graphics are frankly the PS3's weakest point and the easiest part to emulate with current PC hardware.

9. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Meh.

10. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

An average computer could easily handle PS3 titles, the problem is emulating the PS3 itself.
    Don't think that the shit they call "PC ports" these days are in any way comparable to the stuff they design/optimise to work on consoles.

11. DeGladiator

DeGladiator Well-Known Member

PS3 has a 3.1Ghz CPU most of the pc's processors are slower unless overclocking but the PS3 has amazing graphics except some games
    But this emulator is only in Pre-Alpha stage so don't expect much of it
    Maybe some homebrew

12. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Rather interesting. I would like to see this progress further.

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

3.2ghz actually, and more to the point, it's a complex architecture and the PS3 has 8 functioning processors, not counting the RSX. The RSX is basically a geforce 7800GTX, so that can be emulated by now, it's the rest of the system that will cause issues, and its very unlikely that it can be emulated well enough to run games at a playable speed any time soon. The PS3 OS has an entire CPU to itself (actually an SPU).

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Before y'all get giddy with anticipation over this, remember that the PS2 and PSP emulation scene hasn't even gone that far yet and those are two older systems.

15. Hopefully they'll re-open the games when the PS3 & the WiiU games arrive while they have something trick up behind their back. cause i do not like using Torrents on PC's.