1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3 - jin_kazama

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by jc_106, May 20, 2008.

1. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

MGS3 is pretty much about survival. Im thinking you find it very troublesome having to constantly go to the menu to change camo and heal yourself. Yes that too I find is a problem and that they should have shortcuts to make life easier and with the fact that PS2 have some bad loading times even just by going to your inventory screen (In my opinion) but it does not change the fact that it is an innovative and new idea. That's what to me sets apart Kojima's games from other games. And I thought MGS 3 was one of the best in the series as it was all about survival even as dann said the sniper battle with TheEnd actually felt like a real sniper battle compared to the first MGS 1. Sniper Wolf was suppose to be one of the best assasins? The battle lasted no more than 4 minutes for me. Though MGS 1 is still a pretty good game in its time, possibly one of the best PlayStation One games

2. Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf Well-Known Member

The battle with Sniper Wolf went by so fast because Jack Doe(Solid Snake) is better than John Doe(Big Boss), not to mention the PSG1's superior technology, as well as the fact that The End is way stronger than Sniper Wolf because if you noticed, he had quite thick clothing on, even for a winter coat, not to mention The End's supernatural abilities. Sniper Wolf is just a badass, not a super-person like The End.

I also have to agree with the fact that a movie would probably suck. Much like SMB, SFII, Resident Evil, The Wizard (oh wait, it was a multi-million-dollar ad in movie form) and I'm not entirely sure, but I think either Gradius or Zero Wing had a planned movie in one of the Asian countries, like Korea, but the success of that supposed movie is apparent.

2 JIN: you... haven't... played?... # 1... yet...? ... ... ... You missed out... ... ... Go and get it... NOW!!! Before you die from lack of awesomeness! There are no words to describe the joy to be had from playing this game on EXTREME and wanting more. IN FACT! That is my only beef with Kojima on this game. No truly alternate paths? OH! and before I forget, after you own Ocelot(and I mean OWN! Chase him when he reloads, and don't let up. Also, you may want to get used to running around with your gun out(! Ha-ha-ha! I made a funny!) before you fight him) don't forget, you need to call Meryl, and by "CD case", they mean "Game case". So if you can't get it with case, just look up her number on Gamefaqs.com. They should be able to fix you up.

The Graphics suck compared to now days, the heads bobbed up and down quickly to talk, so they look kind of like 32-bit action figures, but that doesn't detract from the gameplay at all, in-fact I think it enhances it, because despite the lack of fluidity in the graphics, the running and crouching(not proning(laying down)) are better because of the lack of fluidity, the controls are more like biting into a crunchy piece of chicken(MGS1) versus Soup(MGS 2 and up). Also, no walkie-talkies, you get spotted, you're screwed, everyone and their grandma knows you're there. but I also think that this should've been kept in the European Extreme(MGS 2 & 3) as it would increase the difficulty substantially, as well as a nod to the Euro-only release of the first METAL GEAR on N.E.S.

3. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

That bit whereby even just touching the guard in MGS 1 and immediately it ocunts as an alert I found annoying. Cmon, you touch a guy in real life does not mean the entire base knows you're there who you are and where you're hiding

An just my thought on Sniper Wolf, she's not badass if you ask me. In an assassin's point of view she hides behind trees which reveals her arms, she breathes hard that in the snow you can spot her breath easily and not to mentioned as snake said, its a mistake for a sniper to reveal her location. Flaws that amateurs make. I doubt a professional killer would do such things.

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Nice review, I havnt played MGS3 (I went from 2 to 4 without skipping a beat and then when someone asked if id played MGS3 I was like what the fuck theres a third one!!!???.... bloody noob :p).

Also I cant remember if I posted in here already, if I have then I probably just read this review twice.....

5. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

This review is short, though.

I would have played it, but I can't save a PS1 game on my memory card (it's a PS2 one). Also, on my computer is not a solution, I can't get the PS1 emulator to work on my PC. Maybe I'll try when I have the new one.

My favourite part in MGS3 is that it's just sneaking, I love sneaking games. MGS2 and MGS4 are more of action war games, even though the second one offers a quite good surreptitious experience.

6. Classic-wolf

Get the MGS 3 Subsistence when it gets cheap enough. I'm pretty sure MGS 1 is part of it. Or if you already have it, check out pawn shops, they have CHEAP prices on everything; I'm pretty sure any pawn shop would have a stack of PS 1 memory cards.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

The MGS3 I have is Subsistence. It has quite some previews games, but not the first MGS (pity). I might borrow a PS1 MC from one of my friends, though.

8. Classic-wolf

Thank goodness, because I feel every gamer should play this game at least once. It's one of those essentials that TCM talks about, but in Gaming.

9. sasukedude

sasukedude Member

i like your style

10. healme

healme Member

Finished the game, it's great. Good storyline but kinda short, right guys? Mgs2 has longer storylines

11. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

MGS 3 is a great game. The intro is almost like that of a James Bond movie and the graphics and physics engine is superb. However, the AI could still use a little more tweaking because the game was fairly easy to beat even in the hardest difficulty. 4.5 out of 5 stars

12. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

in the hardest difficulty? you mean european extreme? i found it quite hard to beat. eventually did it, but took many many hours.

13. tim1182

tim1182 Well-Known Member

"This man also appeared in the previous chapter, as Pliskin."
    No he doesn't thats his cloned son solid snake
    "Plus, you actually find out that probably she was Snake's mother"
    unlikely seeing as there around the same age