1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[PS2 Fan Translation News] Front Mission 5 Finally in English!

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Woah!

:eek:

Look at this great, GREAT news I just found out courtesy of Romhacking.net:

Yeah so there is no English voice overs but who cares, right? I mean how can a modest ROM Hack Fan Translation team manage to pull off something that drastic with the limited resources at their disposal.

I just hope Square-Enix won't get anally retentive with this Fan translation project seeing, if they just did their jobs as their supposed too fan translators wouldn't even come in to get the job done :p

So yeah Square-Enix, they took your jyerbs! :p

2. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

That happens when Game industries don't translate games to others languages. I translate 'em too, make english to portuguese. GTA IV, RE5, man...I'm pround of helpin' my people that don't understand english.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

These are the reasons why Game developers like Square-Enix do not localize games like these:

1. They "fear" that a particular Japanese game might not sell well with western gamers' tastes - this one's absolute bull plop seeing as RomUlation & the countless fan translation communities are a definite indication that such "high risk" games do have an anticipating audience.

2. Way too much Japanese cultural Innuendos - to an extent this is true, but we all know there are a lot of Otaku out there :p

3. With games based off on Anime & such, they need to pay heavy royalties to use licenses for the characters used in the game. And if games like these are brought to the west, they will need to again pay for these royalties.

4. acewhatever

acewhatever Member

This great news and all, but that's a very naive way of looking at it, Cahos.

First of all, it's not "bull plop" that SE doesn't see a big market for FM5. FM3 & 4 were never best sellers despite positive reviews from western gaming press. Neither game sold enough copies to qualify for Sony's Greatest Hits line.

And like it or not, mecha is still a niche genre outside of Japan. Transformers only gets by because of nostalgia and MOSTLY because it targets kids who buy the toys like crazy. Do you think these kids can play a Front Mission game?

Now let's look at this "anticipating audience" you mention. How many do all the people in "RomUlation & the countless fan translation communities" who are FM fans amount to? A thousand? Five thousand if were being generous? What makes you think that's remotely enough of a number to convince SE to spend money to localize FM5? And that includes dubbing the spoken dialogue because believe it or not some people don't like to read subtitles during cutscenes. Also it's funny that we're discussing the appeal of a game to westerners when neither of us is one (at least I assume you're not western). :p

So yeah you can't really say that the people you know represent the entire international FM fanbase.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

OK then, IF that fanbase is insignificant as you claim it to be, then why would a Fan Translation be made in the first place? Why would a group of people work on coding a game with programs that are not near as complicated as what Square-Enix would have at their disposal? Is it to say, "we are nerds & lurves this game". Wrong! They do this because there is a huge fan base!

Let me give you a more solid proof you can even read up here on RomUlation, Go see translation information on games like Jump Ultimate Stars or other similar games & you'll see people clamoring for such games to be fan translated at least.

You sir are the naive one for belittling the Fan Translation community like that. And FYI, Front Mission is an awesome franchise all on it's own.

If you don't support this kind of thing then leave we don't care, why'd you even bother posting on here being a troll like that, seriously :p

6. acewhatever

acewhatever Member

Dude everybody wants every Japanese game translated to English, but that's not the point.

I never said anything remotely implying that the Front Mission wasn't good. The localizers care more about the marketability than the quality. That's why we have several Naruto and Bleach games available in English: There's a big market for them due to the dubbed shows' popularity there. Mecha games like FM and Gundam? Not so much,

You just flat out ignore the cold hard fact that FM 3 & 4 simply didn't sell enough copies and continue to describe the limited amount of feedback you see as "huge fanbase". And the DS port of Front Mission 1 isn't a counter-argument because it cost SE way less to localize than FM5, and unfortunately SE has a different idea than yours of what a "huge fanbase". The only reason FM Evolved has any chance at all of an English release is because it's an action game and not an SRPG, with the former genre being more marketable to the west.

Also fan translators do this exactly because "we are nerds & lurves this game". Fan translations don't happen because the fans demand them, they happen because a small group of fans decide to get together and do it themselves. No amount of "huge fanbase" will force fan translators to do what they want, otherwise every Super Robot Wars game ever would have an English translation by now.

Not everybody who disagrees with you is automatically a troll.

7. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Wow, calm down bud lol. It's not a big deal, he is just pointing out that they don't translate games sometimes because they don't know how well they will sell and such, and weather it will actually make money. His opinion is actually very well formed and presented.

8. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma Member

Sorry for posting in an old thread, I just knew about this translation, and I have a problem with patching. I tried patching the iso, but a message appear "Exception: Wrong opposite image. Expected MD5:B5EADAD7456E3F2EB27EF4A79BE63377". I don't understand the meaning of the message, what's wrong? What should I do?

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@ShinRyouma: Try asking for help at the fan translators' site as I didn't try the patch myself as I don't have a copy of the game, nor a PS2 to test it on.

10. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

The patch will only work on the original release of this game, not the Greatest Hits version, which you're currently using now.

11. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma Member

It seems I have a partial English copy, not the original one. I found the JP ver of this game, but the iso size is 2.29GB only while the currently iso I have is 3.8GB. Is that JP ver the original one? I don't want to download the wrong iso. Thank you for your answer.

12. meganova

The regular edition have 3.8GB size with the cover box looks like this, and has a boot file SLPM_662.05. As for the Ultimate Hits, I'm not sure about the size, but the cover box should look like this with a boot file SLPM_664.21 inside the iso.

If you're trying to download it, try to identify any of these characteristics. But, most of it are the regular one.

13. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma Member

I found that 2.29GB iso on torrent and there's no boxart image, so I don't know if it's the original release or not. I'm DLing, it takes a lot of time.

14. meganova

I remember I got mine from torrent with 2.00GB+, but after extracted it I got 3.8GB, and patched it without problem.
    There's so little chance that it was going to be Unlimited Hits edition.

15. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma Member

I successfully patched the iso, I write the iso into a DVD by using "ISO Write" in DVD Decrypter. But my PS2 can't read the disc, what's wrong? My PS2 is modded so no region lock. Am I missing something?

16. meganova

If the PS2 was modded, did you write the patched ISO into DVD-R or DVD-RW?
    Bear in mind that PS2 can only read DVD-R.

Make sure the write speed is set to 4x or lower, and you might want to use ImgBurn as your burning program as well.

17. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma Member

I used DVD-R and write speed is set to 1x. I'll try ImgBurn, I hope this will end my problems, I want to play this English FM5 so bad.

18. meganova

It should be, that what I'm using to burn that game on DVD-R and play it on my modded PS2,
    if it's not then there should be something wrong with your end.

Perhaps you can try to load that patched ISO on PS2 emulator(if you have any) first before burning it into the DVD,
    just to make sure if that game load normally.

19. ShinRyouma

ShinRyouma Member

My PS2 can't read the disc even after I use ImgBurn. I'm very confuse, if I got the wrong iso/bad iso I shouldn't be able to patch it, but the fact is I successfully patch it means I got the correct iso. So I think the problem is the burning process, ImgBurn is newer than DVD Decrypter and it looks better than Decrypter. Does it need certain settings changes before burning? Volume changes? or anything else need to be changed?

20. meganova

I'm not sure about that, what I did is directly burn the patched rom into a disc, and it load without problem on my PS2.
    But, before that, I tested it on the PS2 emulator(PCSX2) just to make sure it is working.

If you have one, why don't you try to run it on emulator first?