1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS2 Emulator

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by mosh2193, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Here:
    PCSX2 emulator
    -It's up to you to read and understand the guide though.

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Try thease latest testers they are faster then 2.6 by half

http://forums.pcsx2.net/forum-71.html

Updated all time

It has now got its own iso boot in menu!

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

That's nice. No longer have to point a CD Plugin to a file like it used to...

4. Jhon 591

Well you may still need the plugins for booting from a cd!

5. TirithRR

Ya, but now if I can just load the ISOs directly rather than having to either A.) Mount the Image to a virtual drive or B.) Use a special CD plugin that can point to files rather than a drive... It will be much nicer :)

6. jadster 1996

jadster 1996 Well-Known Member

hm....a pc ps2 emulator?
    Would this run good on a laptop,if something is needed then what is it(I need exact details on what I need) ?
    I might consider getting a new laptop if it means I can play ps2 games at good speed on my pc.
    Thanks for anyone who answers :)

7. TirithRR

It runs just fine on my PC.

Windows XP Professional SP3 (32bit)
    3GB of RAM.
    3.16GHz Dual Core Processor
    Two Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (512MB each)

I believe PCSX2 is programmed to utilize dual core processors efficiently.

8. theclaw

theclaw Active Member

Yes, real retail ps2 game discs can be run directly with an emulator. No need for an ISO or backup copy.

ps2 emulation isn't complete yet though. Performance varies widely depending on the game or your hardware.

9. TirithRR

I backed up all my PS2 games to ISOs because harddrive load times are faster than DVD ones :)

10. Jhon 591

Thats trew even with ps1 games!

If you are using GSdx plugin chance the d3d intenal res to 512 x 512 this will increase the speed if your game!

11. theclaw

theclaw Active Member

I guess it varies on the game, or I just have a faster DVD drive than normal. We may never know. :p

12. phonz

phonz Member

First, I doubt this emulator will run too great on any Laptop unless you got some custom build beast. Mobile processors generally tend to cut back on the power in order to minimize heat and increase battery time.

Second, Keep in mind that the games run much better using DX10 and the GSDX plugin, even better if you have an SSE4 processor.

Kingdom Hearts is playabale for me and my rig isn't too heavy either.

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit (DirectX 10)
    AMD Athlon X2 4600+ 2.6GHz
    2GB RAM
    512MB nVidia GeForce 8800GTS (G92)

PCSX2 beta.r1888 Plugins
    GRAPHICS: GSDX 1873 (SSE2) - NOTE: SSE2 because that is my processor
    SOUND: SPU2-X 1.2.0
    CONROLLERS: Lillypad (r1853) - NOTE: I am using a PS3 controller over BT and the rumble doesn't work
    BIOS: USA v01.60
    I don't use any CD/DVD drivers, just the built in ISO loader.

Again, not all games are playable, like Contra. It gets pretty choppy for me. And they say to make backups of the memcard files as there is a chance of corruption apparently? I haven't encountered that yet.
    I have tried various CD/DVD plugins and believe me, it's better to run them in ISO form from your harddrive as the DVD's seem to introduce stuttering or read speed problems.
    Hope this helps.

Everything you need can be found on the PCSX2 website

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the Athlon X2 supports SSE3

14. phonz

phonz Member

True it does, but GSDX has only 3 different implementations and none of them are specific to SSE3.

GSDx SSE2/SSSE3/SSE4.1
    SSSE3 is actually different from SSE3, the extra 'S' makes all the difference :)

And with that in mind I should have stated SSE4.1 (not SSE4) up above. oops xD
    Hurray for all Core2+ users :p

15. Loonylion

there is no instruction set called SSSE3.

16. TirithRR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3

17. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

If you plan running games directly from your DVD Drive i would recommend using the CDVD Dolio plug in in. It reads sectors before hand so the game does not slow down while loading. And if you're wondering I would say the SSSE3 plugins are the fastest. didn't get much of a speed upgrade with he SSE4.1 Plugins. But using SSE4.1 settings allows you to use the Advance options better increasing the overall quality of the game. As for me i'm currently playing FFXII and with the None/normal setting get an average of 290% frames per second, but this drops to 150% in towns like Rabanastre, i'm not lying. And many users say they have discolourations and geometrical issues, with the game and as far as i know the only way to fix this issues is to tinker with the Advance settings, in otherwords setting them all to full. I've also played both the Kingdom Hearts games but i had to set the FS setting to limit since it's too fast to play :p

And about the SS instructions unfortunately its true only Intel chipsets support the SSSE3 instructions and Amd processors support SSE3, mind he extra S. So, as far as emulation is concerned only SSSE3 is useful. Those with AMD processors can either sit at home sulking or use the slower SSE2 Plugins.

18. Loonylion

or use SSE4? according to wikipedia SSSE3 is just a minor revision to SSE3. I doubt the 11 extra instructions make a whole lot of difference in the wider scheme of things, especially considering that, as far as I can see, around half of the 11 are actually featured in AMD's 3DNOW! instruction set, meaning that AMD has had support for them far longer than intel has.

19. Meramex

Meramex Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter. PCSX2 only supports SSSE3. Even if there is not much of a difference between them, only SSSE3 works. And AMD processors have SSE4 not SSE4.1. The same problem. PCSX2 ONLY supports SSE4.1 not SSE4. So AMD processors can only run SSE2. I don't know if they don't want to add AMD specific plugins or are just bored (trust me it happens).
    Post Merge: [time]1255601166[/time]
    They released a new and hopefully the final beta emulator using the old GUI. It's not mentioned in the news section but can be fond with the downloads. The old problem is still there. The emulator crashes every time you try to Load or Write a SaveState. Hopefully the next OFFICIAL release should fix this.

20. Alkaider

Alkaider New Member

Where i can find DVD Decryptor?