1. This forum is in read-only mode.

program to convert mkv movies to avi

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by andrew415, Jul 4, 2007.

1. andrew415

andrew415 Member

I have no where else to ask but this place. I just need to ask what's a good software for converting mkv movies to avi. I've tried the mkv to avi converter program, but I just can't get it to work properly. Is there another program that's easier to understand? I just want to make an avi movie so I could convert it to dpg... so I could watch some movies on my DS.

I seek anyone's guidance, thanks in advance.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you would be better off trying to convert it directly to dpg; you will lose quality in each conversion.

EDIT: mkv isnt a video codec, see here: http://filext.com/file-extension/mkv

3. andrew415

andrew415 Member

yes but I prefer converting it to avi first... before converting it to dpg

4. lardo4life

lardo4life New Member

Just rename the MKV to avi and convert it then. If there's multiple audio tracks, it should default to the first one.

5. isharaking

isharaking New Member

You can try Video Converter program. It's very easy to use. It also supports batch conversion in between various video and audio formats with zero quality loss. You can read the tutorial on How to Convert MKV to AVI and do the conversion easily on your own.
    converter-video.com/mkv-converter/mkv-to-avi.html

6. Fiddle132

Fiddle132 Member

A good one is freemake, a con is that you have to download it but hopefully you'll use it still.

7. Gutsynendwe

Gutsynendwe New Member

You can also find many other good converters by typing the related words on google. Also, I know some that have their own characters.
    Handbrake: It has lots of users and many review websites recommend on top of Handbrake.
    WinX Video Converter: Just as the Handbrake, good one to many people. I have used the software, it takes more time to do the conversion.
    HD video converter factory: It's a good mp4 avi converter. I have converted videos for playing on QuickTime. It can convert most all of the input files, including mkv to avi.
    MPEG Stream Clip: It's a popular free video converter for Mac.