1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Primark: Ethical trading

Discussion in 'Debates' started by koal_ferrari, Jun 26, 2008.

1. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

Right I'm slightly messed while writing this but I work for primark, if you live in the UK then uve heard of it.
    I will add primarks own view on this later, but what do you all think if you have seen the BBC panorama program about primarks ethical trading and the fact that they, without knowing, subcontracts to children and poor people in India

Koala ' Ivan' Ferrari

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think they should pay more attention to their suppliers and do more research before awarding contracts.

3. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

Dang, I don't remember starting this.
    Well I actually think that the program was very poorly made and taking Primarks quotes out of context shot their integrity down. However I work for Primark and we have recently had a lot of ethical policies thrown at us. The main point they try to put across is that many other high street stores do use the same factories that Primark use, so Primark should not be singled out.
    I feel that it is up to every fashion retailer to enforce higher volumes of well executed audits on the factories that are being used.
    Primarks main downfall was not the fact that they don't check up on the factories standards, because they do regularly, but the fact that when they do check on the factories they failed to spot (or ignore) obvious flaws in the production system alongside the failure to ask simple questions like "does all the work get done inside the building"

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I don't set much value on panorama, I saw the one on wireless networks and I've never seen such negilent and biased reporting in a so-called documentary.

5. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Panorama is rubbish, the inconveniant truth on immigration seemed quite diluted as well...
    Yeah, so primark isn't very good (no offence) so it is an easy target... They should have concentrated on fashion-designers making real fur-coats and their appalling labour they give people although they are barely paid and the clothes cost so much!
    On that subject- Britain is a easy target as well...

6. smiler

smiler Member

i think the blame goes to
    the ones who as awarded the contract to them
    as they haven't checked the supplier
    and if they did they would have seen the kids
    i think they should think how would they like there kids
    doing that's sort of work for that sort of pay