1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Presidental Elections: Is there a real point anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HumrH360, Aug 8, 2008.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

too bad not everyone in the world has the right to vote...

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

That of course is being they're over 18 or something, who generally understand it.

3. insanecrazy07

not everyone in the world has a democratic government either, so even for the people that are over 18, still can't vote.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Well, US being the most powerful country is true in some senses, since the government to the US in some ways controls the fate of the world, although other countries have that ability also. Anyways, everyone having the right to vote for the president of the United States is not only impossible, but kind of a silly idea. Although, if people seriously involved in politics were to vote, Obama would undoubtedly become the next president... But just imagine the number of people who would boycott the US and turn the country into a joke. The US isn't in the best social standing it's ever been in. I mean, I think the brits hate us more now than when we were spilling their tea, mirite. Eh... I mean, plus politicians would have to reach out to people all over the world, and the US would become a charity while the rest of the world would fend for it's own.

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

insane, I was meaning that they could vote for the US president, not for their own government, even if they don't have one.

6. insanecrazy07

If they can't vote in their own country, what makes you think their government would even allow voting in another?

Anyway, I think it would be a bad idea because I've seen how stupid average Americans are. And they are pretty damn stupid.
    Not even the people who do the voting are stupid, but even the people being elected are stupid as well.

I liked it better in the old days where only the aristocratic society was allowed to vote. Their argument was that the common people don't know any better and aren't qualified to be able to hold such a great power as electing officials.

I have asked several people why they are voting for either Obama or McCain. Most of them didn't even list anything on their political platform or in other words, what they stand for, or what their views are. Most of them just said, because McCain is a douchebag, or because Obama is black, or whatever. Why should we let these people vote?

Politicians these days only care about popularity and getting re-elected. Meaning that they will go straight for the tax break even if the economy is in shambles, even if the tax break isn't the best solution. They do it to get re-elected. They will spend millions and billions on ad campaigns when they could use that money for...I don't know...saving our economy?

Perfect example, Kwame Kilpatrick is (was) the mayor of Detroit and he is in jail right now for breaking his bail TWICE! He is being charged with assault on two officers on top of that.
    Not only has he run Detroit to the ground even more than it was, the people still re-elected him and I guarantee they will re-elect him again.

So again, to sum it up, why should we make voting for the President an international problem, when it is already a national problem?

7. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

First gay president?

8. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Really? Really? I yield the ability to be a nationalistic asshole, also.