1. This forum is in read-only mode.

power crisis

Discussion in 'General News' started by bhatooth, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

but me i can wait for that im younger than you

2. ultra

ultra Guest

that's amazing, it's like a human being eating and not having to take a shit [which is impossible].

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

fusion is the colliding of two atoms to form a single heavier atom. it is usually done with light molecules such as hydrogen, which preduces dutrium. Which is not radioactive.

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol loony could I have the chemical equation for that please?

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

You know there are times when loony scares me, really
    He's like this walking wikipedia ;D

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

this is just his field, as is mine the environment, and I wasnt joking lol im actually interested in the eq.

7. Loonylion

My bad, deutrium is one of the reagents.

[​IMG]

Tritrium, is a beta emitter with a half life of just over 12 years, however it is one of the reagents in the reaction, not a product. The products are helium and a neutron, neither of which are radioactive.

8. ultra

ultra Guest

that's impossible, you can't have the best of one world only in this world. in this world, you get the best of both worlds. there has to be something wasteful [regardless radioactive or not].

9. Loonylion

well the neutron isn't much good for anything, but it's harmless. And for your information, that equation is not impossible, that is what happens in the sun.

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol crazy but makes a little sense to me. Though my base is mainly in organic chemistry and not nuclear lol :p

11. ultra

ultra Guest

they said ethanol was great and offered so much positive things. then when it was finally built, it boosts the prices of consumer goods and a struggle for food. are you sure you there aren't any negatives for this?!

12. Loonylion

umm ethanol hasn't had anything to do with consumer goods, it's not even widely used as fuel. And I don't recall anything being said about what ethanol offers, other than its better than petrol.

13. ultra

ultra Guest

so this nuclear power only offers positive aspects?!

14. Loonylion

pretty much, apart from a vague possibility of the reaction getting out of control, not that we'd be worrying about it if it did.

15. iceredaph32

iceredaph32 Well-Known Member

so the only flaw in this is getting it out of controll, well I guess the scientists can do something about that

16. ultra

ultra Guest

i'm very skeptical about that.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

vague possibility... I'm thinking we ahve a higher chance of a meltdown, if we actually put it into matter

18. Loonylion

meltdowns can't happen with fusion. A meltdown is when a fission reaction gets out of control, the pressure inside the reaction chamber increases to the point where it explodes.

with fusion, you are dealing with superheated plasma at millions of degrees Kelvin, there are few materials on this earth that can withstand direct contact with such temperatures. Thus, and this is where it sounds like a sci-fi film, the plasma must be contained using forcefields. With a big enough mass (i.e the size of jupiter) gravity could be used instead. Should the reaction get out of control, slightly weakening the forcefields would release some of the pressure.

19. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

and by pressure, you mean something dangerous?

20. Loonylion

pressure is what causes an explosion. Releasing some of the pressure would prevent that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.