1. This forum is in read-only mode.

power crisis

Discussion in 'General News' started by bhatooth, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

could someone explain what nuclear fusion is?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion

3. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the reaction provides the power...

4. Loonylion

fusion releases a hell of a lot of energy, we just need to find some way of harnessing it, as well as sustaining a controlled fusion reation.

5. clyffe28

so this would probably solve the problem on power crisis but how long would it take for it to be completed

6. Loonylion

first ever fusion reactor in the world is due to come online in about 8 years.

7. clyffe28

but those reactors would be so much expensive right? then it would mean nothing to poor countries who cannot afford to fund such facilities

8. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

so Loony.. would you take the job to work here?

If you could harness the power....

and you don't need to pay any taxes?

:)

anyways, some poor countries may be able to share power with another country, I'm pretty sure UN will do that...

9. clyffe28

ohh sheesh rich countries would abuse poorer countries.....they'll say we will give you power but give us your products, let use build establishments on your forests , ect

10. Loonylion

if the technology is successful I'd imagine it will be made available to poor countries.

11. clyffe28

then who would fund them? the world bank? no thanks the Philippines has already enough debt

12. Loonylion

try looking up the USA's national debt.

It would likely be partially funded by the world bank, and partly by the richer nations, as it is in the world's best interests to move away from burning oil and coal.

13. clyffe28

but countries who produce oil would probably stop this from happening because they will loose a huge amount of money if we were to swich power sources

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Actually, if fusion reactor power plants would become available in the future, the UN,greenpeace & other environmentalist sectors may push for the ban on the use of fossil fuel powered plants & of vehicles as well, as loony's basic explanation says, nuclear fusion generates an amount of energy as much as a small star, so the need for other sources of power may not br necessary in the future

@loony
    8 years!? Wow can't wait for that to come ;D

15. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

Ban fuels?

Poor OPEC XD

16. ultra

ultra Guest

stop right there! how would you solve for the radioactive waste?!

17. Loonylion

there isn't any with fusion...

its the opposite to current nuclear reactors, which are fission reactors.

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Umm..

this is a geeky sarcastic stupid remark so please don't get angry with me,but I think those of you who have no idea what fusion reactor energy generation is have not heard of or have not seen Star Trek

Again just a stupid geeky remark

19. Loonylion

I don't recall star trek using fusion? they used matter/antimatter colliders.

I studied nuclear physics, thats how I know about fusion :)

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Before I read up on it I've been hearing about Nuclear fusion on most Sci-fi Movies, shows & most importantly on Anime/cartoons & Comics/manga and it is more powerful (at the moment) than any power source man has ever discovered

And most people think that just because Science fiction is fiction, they do tend to forget the science part. Maybe for now, fusion reactors or the harnessing of matter/anti matter energy or traveling in warp 9 are stuff of imaginations, but people forget that these "ideas" or theoretical concepts are infact based on actual Scientific study, mostly of an analytical, theoretical & mathematical manner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.