1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Post Your System Specs Thread

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by BloodVayne, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Cells only describe the inner workings of a battery. There are much more factors to determine battery life.

2. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

battery life is a calculation of power consumption and amps. right?

there is software in laptops and even on my old craptop it has a press button on the battery itself because it slides in the side, the button is like the old duracell battery gauge they used to build onto them in the 90's.

so i have two gauges. in pc and on battery. the only way to tell is with a new battery just check the manufacturer of the laptop and get the estimated life which is almost always in the specs, or simply use it till its almost out of charge and see how long it took.

old batteries are unreliable and itll vary a lot.

3. Born2killx

Some types of batteries' maximum charge declines over time, so reading the specs for an older laptop may be unreliable.

4. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

exactly. but reading the specs for any laptop, stock using a stock battery which is new or relativly new. will give you the info you want. and as i said, old batteries will always hold a charge for less time and i think, when they get bad they will hold a charge longer one time and shorter the next.

5. badbudz

badbudz New Member

Woot!! nice rig dude!!

6. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

this is due to expensive purchase and not newegg issues?? they are supposed to be really good. i buy by price which is normally amazon.

7. CaptainBuckets

CaptainBuckets New Member

Macbook Aluminum:

2 ghz intel core 2 duo
    13.3 in widescreen
    160 gb hard disk 320 GB Hitachi HD
    2 gb DDR3 Ram
    Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Airport Extreme 802.11abgn
    Bluetooth

8. Born2killx

As of now, three of the aforementioned components have failed. They are...

The sound card.
    The system drive.
    One of the RAM sticks.

With advice from my peers (Loonylion), I decided not to link the hard drives in a RAID configuration. I am very happy with my purchase.

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I warned you about the sound card... Get the Xonar instead, and for disk drives I get Samsung for drives larger than 500GB and IBM/Hitachi GST for smaller (Larger Hitachi drives lack cache, so they don't perform as well) My current system drives are 320GB Seagates, but Seagate have gone to hell lately (don't know if that applies to drives under 500GB, but their 500, 650, 750, 1TB and 1.5TB all have shocking failure rates)

10. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

i noticed that some seagates have a rubber surround that is removable. i have not seen one that didnt burn out in a few years.

11. Loonylion

only the older ones (i.e more than 5 years ago). I'm talking about months, not years. Their newer drives have something like 98% failure rate in the first three months

12. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

damn. they suck now.

i buy hitachi but have only gone as high as 80gig. do you recommend anyones 10,000rpm drives?

13. Loonylion

Only WD make 10k rpm drives available to the public, unless you're talking about SCSI, which is usually more trouble than its worth. I have had no problems with my raptor 10k so far, but several of my friends have had issues with WD drives.

14. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

ah. is there really a difference that justifies the increased price?

i'll end the the derailment of the topic after this question has gotten a response.

15. Loonylion

for certain purposes, yes.

16. shbek1

shbek1 New Member

Lets see how well I can do this from memory. I just bought a new laptop and built a new desktop within the last month and a half. I reseached everything to death, so I should be able to. :p

Laptop is an HP dv7t 1200
    17" screen @ 1680x1050 resolution
    2.4GHz P8600 Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    9600M GT 512MB Nividia graphics card
    Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm hard drive - getting a second shortly for a 2 x 500GB internal =)
    Wireless N/Bluetooth (card gets hotter than hell...)
    Bluray drive
    Can't think of anything else particularly worth mentioning there.

Desktop I custom built about a month ago

22" Samsung SyncMaster also 1680 x 1050. Came with my 3-D equipment. Its matte and picture quality kicks the butt of any glossy screen I have ever seen. Seriously, look up the specs on it.
    EVGA 790i FTW mobo - REALLY nice mobo. I recommend it.
    3.0GHz Q9650 Intel Core 2 Quad - Zalman cooler on there.
    8GB OCZ RAM
    2 BFG 9800GX2 graphics cards in SLI. More or less a quad sli as each graphics card is already in SLI with itself. =)
    3 1TB 7,200rpm Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives with Kubuntu, XP, and Vista triboot
    Bluray and DVD drives
    X3 1600 powersupply

Thats pretty much it. Not too shabby for a $2,500 build. Its in an xBlade case if anyone knows what that is. I'm also working on watercooling it. SLI gets a bit too hot for my taste.

17. Loonylion

Maybe we could if you gave us the model number :p

18. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

@shbek1
    whoah on your desktop... what the heck do you use that for? and for 2.5K american? nice, envy.....
    do you own it already or just plans to build?

19. Loonylion

it would be the younger brother of my desktop if it was AMD. I don't like intel.

20. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

why is it when you buy a processor, Intel always is the best one the clerks tells you to buy? what the heck is the difference between a dual core and core 2 duo?