1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Post your sexy speedtest pt. 2

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Patton, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

I've heard of some compatibility issues with optics too.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

nothing I've ever heard of and networking is my field.

3. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

Venezuela is heading that way, if the current governemnt cares to accomplish what they promised aside free Satelital tv with optic fiber wire the internet is gonna get cheap optic fiber internet

4. Loonylion

'cheap' probably depends on takeup, unless its government subsidised. fibre optic networks are pretty expensive to deploy, especially when you're talking on a metropolitan or national scale

5. Duncan Idaho

They are government subsidised, it's what the government of venezuela does, current government sponsored cable is like that, it works in conjunction with our satelites

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well, I figured out why I wasn't getting good speeds.
    My router can't go above 20/1 mb/s!

So, we've upgraded our plan and data allowance and have ordered a new router.

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Best day of my life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Albert X

Albert X Well-Known Member

Holy crap...

9. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

i'm so jelly right now you could make a sandwich.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

It used to be a lot worse.

:D

11. Loonylion

for all of you jealous at Xenirina's speedtests, those speeds are only within australia. speeds to the rest of the world will be quite a bit slower because australia doesn't have much international bandwidth compared to its size/population.

12. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Cause it's just plopped down in the middle of the ocean?

13. Loonylion

pretty much, its a very long way from anywhere and there's a lot of very deep water in the way, both of which make laying fiber very difficult and extremely expensive.

14. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

I wonder if they should instead use an intranet.

15. Loonylion

what good would that do?

16. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

Well instead of having servers outside of the country. Put major servers inside the country for cache i guess you could call it.

17. Loonylion

that isn't a solution, its not viable on a scale that would make a significant difference.

18. Duncan Idaho

i found something funny, i bougth a new modem and unlike the ad says it's way slower than my 6 year old one, when i swapped them the speed went from 1.5mbits/s to 120 kbps and that if wired, using the router oddly was of 200 kbps

19. Loonylion

some technologies, particularly xDSL will artificially reduce the speed of the line on loss of signal. it does this because it assumes the loss of signal was due to a problem with the line, and therefore it reduces the speed in an attempt to stabilise what it thinks is a problematic line.

20. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member