1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Post your sexy speedtest pt. 2

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Patton, Sep 1, 2007.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Nah, I can assure you, I am *very* close to where you live.
    As for the 100Mbit cable, I am too. Still don't get those speeds.

2. retrogamefan

retrogamefan Well-Known Member

Dude, don't know what you're thinking or if you're thinking of someone else...40kms is how far I am from you...wouldn't exactly call that close lol
    And going off the Speed Test you posted above, given your upload speed, you're more likely on 30Mbit Cable

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Meh. Must've been someone else then.
    Still, Melbourne is pretty big. 40kms... Eastern Suburbs?

Nah, we're apparently on the 100Mbit cable according to the statements sitting in front of me.
    Well, I've made a Whirlpool thread and hopefully someone will come with an answer to why this is happening to me.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2072104

4. luthorcorp92

luthorcorp92 Well-Known Member

Whoa some of your speeds are unreal I am dribbling.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

What's yours?

6. luthorcorp92

luthorcorp92 Well-Known Member

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Download?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

That's the UK government target. They want everyone in the country to have 'super fast internet of 2mbit/s by 2015' and believe that target will make us the fastest broadband country in europe. I guess no-one told them that the Dutch have 100mbit readily available, as do several other european countries.

9. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

South Korea is like the mother land for great internet.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Japan is better.
    You can get 1gbit+ speeds for less than $40 AUD.

11. Loonylion

south korea has widespread gigabit too.

12. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

How are they so far ahead? And how can they offer it for so cheap?
    Just now is the Australian government rolling Optic Fibre. With 100 mb/s speeds. For $100 AUD.

13. Arcwolf09

Arcwolf09 Guest

South Korea has major ISP competition. They have the cheapest and fastest internet per person in the entire world.

14. Loonylion

they're also a relatively small country in terms of landmass and quite heavily urbanised, both of which make it easier to deploy telecoms infrastructure.

15. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

If Australia just did it in urban areas... bloody hell.
    An average user can barley get 20 mb/s in Australia.

16. Loonylion

Australia is a huge country and very rural. It also has another major problem in that its an extremely long way away from anywhere other large landmasses (europe/africa/asia/americas), which makes it hugely expensive to get connectivity to the country. As a nation, Australia has one of the lowest amounts of internet bandwidth in the world (speaking of the capacity of the backbones in and out of the country) for this reason.

not sure where your 20mbit figure comes from, but the UK national average according to ofcom is 12mbit/s and that's way off of base because its skewed by the privileged few who are able to get 80-120mbit/s, in rural areas people are usually limited to 5mbit/s or less, and in some cases less than 2mbit/s

17. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what a mate said.

So, the government is rolling out "fibre-to-the-home", which should be finished in 2017.
    What speeds is optic fibre capable of, and would it be possible to get those in Australia if ISP's provided it?

18. Loonylion

depends on the equipment used and how many strands. with enough strands, hundreds of gigabits. Distance is still a limiting factor though, the signal degrades over distance and has to be regenerated at intervals.

19. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well, I live in Melbourne, so I wouldn't expect the fibre to have to travel a long distance to get to my place :)
    I looked at the websites, but nothing on strands etc.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/nbn-for-home/index.html
    http://www.nbn.gov.au/about-the-nbn/nbn-technologies/optic-fibre/

But it does say "in the future" we may get 1gbit speeds, but that'll be a long way off for Australia.

20. Loonylion

said distance is either 2km or 10km depending on the technology used (assuming its an ethernet based technology, if its serial then thats a completely different ballgame)

realistically its likely to be 2 strands (one for each direction) or possibly 4 (but probably only 2 used, the other two are spares because its very hard to repair fibre lines)