1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Poll: who do you worship?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buchichu, Sep 25, 2010.

?

what religion do you follow?

1. Christian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Islam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Athiest/Agnostic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hindu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Buddhism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Judaism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other (list if you want)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Seph

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. buchichu

buchichu Well-Known Member

^ really? I went through a brief period of seriously considering that one in high school, but when it turned out to be actually a lot of work I abandoned the idea.

2. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

3. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

That's the most narrow minded thing I've heard all day, but to be fair it's only a quarter to three in the morning. Nevertheless, that's a stupid thing to say.

4. buchichu

why don't you give the class a more accurate description then, o wise one.

5. bunnybag

bunnybag Well-Known Member

Atheist here and yes, what is an agnostic?

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It's a stance that shows that you are unsure of if there is a God. Basically believing that they cannot prove or disprove that there is any sort of deity or God.

I'd define agnostic as more a half way point to atheism, where Atheism is a rejection in believing any deity, but agnostic is a more skeptical stance to any deity. That being said, I can only say this with first hand experience of knowing people who define themselves as agnostic, and then going into atheism, I've never heard of anyone going into agnosticism and going into another religion. But I'm sure there is examples of this.

7. buchichu

it's basically the epitome of "sitting on the fence" in a religious sense. They won't subscribe to a religion or god but still won't say outright they don't believe in god. As far as I'm concerned this is pure laziness and fear. Too lazy to embrace religion and too afraid to reject it.

as I mentioned before, I used to consider myself agnostic because I decided if god wants to collect call me and give me a reason to believe I'd do just that. it didn't take a huge reality check to realize that just doesn't happen and the whole point of religion is to have "faith" that this deity is out there, which I wasn't capable of. thus I became atheist.

It's called shit or get off the pot.

8. bunnybag

Thanks for the explanation, it's much better then how it was previously explained (the too chicken one).

I do know of someone who became religious after the death of their child, so it's not so hard to believe that it can go from agnostic to another religion.

9. buchichu

out of desperation, sure.

the one thing I'll say about religion is I've seen it be a great comfort for those who are having a rough time in life. Strangely, I've also seen the most religious of people be the most frightened of death, which I don't understand. if you're so sure the great beyond is a wonderful place if you accept the lord jesus christ into your heart of whatever, why are you more afraid of it than people who apparently think they blink out of existence upon death - a concept that seems a hell of a lot more frightening? I guess you have that whole judgment deal...I'm sure as you approach the big D you can probably think of a lot of sins you committed you may previously have ignored.

10. bunnybag

That never occurred to me till you mentioned it. Maybe their faith isn't strong enough to conquer their fear of death, that or they have sinned a lot and are scared of going to hell. I'll never know since I don't share the same views as religious people and I don't have many friends who are religious.

11. buchichu

well, I think I might be nervous too, if what I believed was there was an all powerful, all-knowing being out there capable of watching my every move who then, upon my death, decided whether or not I was "good" enough to enter heaven, or be damned for all time. personally, I'd rather blink out of existence than be damned for all time.