1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokemon Starters

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by harmony18arias, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I thought Blissey was the best physical wall.

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

FAIL
    Best Special wall bro. Look shit up before you start posting.

3. deneel

deneel Well-Known Member

blissey have onley 5base physical def :p

4. insanecrazy07

Correction: 10.

I knew this would end up being a thread filled with people who are absolutely clueless.

/facepalm

5. Stanley Richards

Yes yes, we know nothing. We just talk to the extent of our knowledge. Go find people who are dedicated to Pokemon to talk about your crazy technical stuff.

6. deneel

deneel Well-Known Member

7. insanecrazy07

I haven't gone into a single theory or concept involving calculations...I hardly see how this is technical.

All I ask is that you look stuff up before posting. You have the internet at your fingertips and yet you still just conjecture without any factual information.
    It doesn't take much to look up base statistics and Christ, there's places like smogon and serebii that tell you flat out what are the best pokemon for their roles.
    It isn't just base statistics, but how the pokemon is played, movesets, and most importantly how well they fare against other threats in their bracket.

Did I actually know that Venusaur could learn Swords Dance in R/B/Y before this thread? No. I looked that up on Smogon and it's a damn impressive setup that looks very similar to the Swords Dance setup today. I was also curious enough to see where exactly you'd find the TM for Swords Dance and that would be at Silph Co. Too bad it wasn't any sooner than roughly the 6th gym. With this new information, you might not have as much trouble against the 6th and 7th gyms if played right despite the disadvantage. Since Sabrina uses Psywave which is not type-dependent, you have a chance. Against Blaine, I'd suspect some good prediction or timing to set up and Body Slam will do the trick...or like most sensible people, just send in a different type.

It's still off regardless.

8. Stanley Richards

Some of us have such slow internet, we can't even go to 3/4 of the websites in the world. So yea,.

9. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Really, I don't think the person who posted the thread cares about blissey, skarmory, or any of those, as they aren't starters.

Back to what was said originally, IN MY EXPERIENCE, I find it easiest to go with the fire type overall, though it will be a little more difficult early on. The water type has few issues and overall is pretty powerful, but as stated before, is pretty neutral in a lot of the gyms. The grass type is only good if you are dedicated to making a solid move set. If you play Pokemon like I do, you really won't care about support moves and will just go for moves that end the battle quickly.

Also, no matter what you say, the fire starter has always been strangely overpowered compared to the other starters. The fire starter is the only one that I can ever run through pretty much the entire game with alone. Provided, there would be HM slaves, but they're worthless anyways. I've never been able to do this with the grass or water starters. When I hit a brick wall for them in terms of weaknesses, it's a damn solid wall.

10. Stanley Richards

How about this, For the newer games, Get a second DS, trade the other two starters over.

I did that once. ::)

11. LuckyTrouble77

It just takes so long though. I mean, I did it once too, but for my Sapphire version. It wasn't worth the time, as overall, the starters don't get as powerful as some other Pokemon of their type.

12. Stanley Richards

Obviously, their starter Pokemon. I don't really see a good team comprising of any one Starter Pokemon.

13. LuckyTrouble77

Or all three for that matter. For getting through the game though, it really isn't that bad. For battling other people, I would never use them unless they somehow became a staple of your team.

14. Stanley Richards

Which I wonder how it would be possible. I usually keep them until my playthrough is done, then dump it aside and get a real good team for stuff like battle frontier,

15. LuckyTrouble77

I usually lose momentum by the battle frontier and such. If my current team can't beat them, I'm not going to fight the Elite 4 around 150 times to get a team good enough to fight there.

16. Stanley Richards

Also, Grinding for EVs is harsh, really harsh, Unless you're lucky to get PokeRUs,

17. LuckyTrouble77

I got Poke Virus once. Really, only once. It is stupidly hard to get when you want it.

18. Stanley Richards

Once you have it, you can keep it permanently

19. LuckyTrouble77

I didn't know what it was when I initially got it, sort of screwed everything up.

20. Stanley Richards

Ah... But you DO know how to keep it permenantly right?