1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Poke'mon Butt/Wipe & Crap/Brown *Rant

Discussion in 'Rants' started by nu885, May 29, 2010.

1. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Well, I'm kinda lazy, I won't go into crazy detail..

>They could make it more diverse than just travelling from city to city, maybe include more story events in-between during routes and make them more expansive (most 'routes' are pretty boring, merely an area to catch new mon and battle a few trainers)
    >Increased interaction with your rival perhaps, plus I think they could be included much better during plots, like maybe you get an opportunity to save his ass or something.
    >Or at least include more story and a reason to travel to previous areas for when things start to get stale, like after the E4.

I don't have too much beef with team 'whatever' plotlines, I really just want them to be more worthy opponents, atm they make you think that just any trainer is capable of beating their ass down, why me?

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

1. Story events like what? I'd have to say Platinum's done this already. I was also thinking last night that Routes have actually come a long way due to them now giving a feeling of distance betwen cities. Point might be moot when you get Fly, but still. And what happens if there's a choice between two routes? You might have taken Cycling Road in RBY, I would have probably taken Routes 13-14-15. You're almost forced to "take this route to proceed the game".
    2. I'm meh over the issue of the rival. They're a bit of a subplot which I think was handled perfectly in RBY and GSC/HGSS. Maybe not as much in the 3rd and 4th gens. They could make the rival subplot more satisfying overall, mostly by putting him in a highly inconvenient place (lol Silph Co).
    3. Catching more Pokemon, chasing down roaming legendaries etc isn't enough? That's why there's endgame content like the Troll Battle Frontier.
    4. I haven't had much of an issue with them either. The reason they're so weak is likely a combination of overlevelling on your part as well as the necessities of having to tone down the levels due to the sheer number of Grunts they throw at you. Mind you, if you want a challenge you could always do a Nuzlocke run. I almost got torn to shreds in the Valley Windworks.

3. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

YES. I can quote your text because it isn't eight paragraphs of garbage, but rather, valid reasons.

I don't quite get number 1. I hope you could translate it into my immature, dumb, mind. I laughed at number 2 (the silph co xP), and I agree with number 3. Number 4 is definitely true. It gets quite challenging if you play the game normally, without grinding and such. Take that god damned miltank in the GoldenRod gym. It requires some amount of strategy, unless you're overleveled.

4. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

1. You know.. Platinum is the only one I haven't played, I kind of ignored it tbh as I wasn't expecting much different from D/P. If that's the case, I will quite possibly be satisfied with what B/W has to offer.
    2. Yes, they were handled a lot better in the earlier games, plus I found it was alot more fun when they were arrogant shit heads, it made beating them feel much more rewarding. Also, lol I remember the exact point in Silph co where he is waiting for you, in-between the warps.
    3. Catching more pokemon is a plus, legendaries on the other hand are big meh to me now, I don't find them nearly as impressive anymore. Battle frontier... I'm not even sure why, but, it doesn't entertain me nearly as much as it should.
    4. Actually, I don't grind unless it's imperative. For me, I think it must be a combination of the grunt barrage and the fact they all use the same pokemon (that alone makes them incredibly easy to beat), and their higher ups usually aren't that much better.
    Maybe I should try something like nuzlocke.. though sometimes can't really muster up the time/motivation to start over solely for purpose of adding difficulty. Instead, I should probably know what to expect and limit myself from the get go, I did use slight restrictions in SS by using 'set' and only using certain 2nd gen pokemon, it helped but not to a huge degree.

5. Stanley Richards

Platinum changes things a little...

I always wondered why he was waiting at that one spot, as if he knew you were coming...

Legendaries are useless if you EV train your pokemon... A full EV trained blissey is godly.

I actually wish the grunts pose more of a challenge...

6. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

yea in the first 3 games after you got the TM psychic or learned the move team rocket was doomed haha

7. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I have to agree regarding the grunts. A tad more challenge would be nice if I've got ready access to a Pokemon Center. That said, for the most part the bosses are a lot tougher.

And besides, you can use items in battles. The AI sucks, I can bring in a Skarmory and tank hits all day with access to Potions.

8. Stanley Richards

I want tougher Gym leaders like Whitney.
    Ones that actually have you on your toes, using potions and xBoosts and all that.
    And Grunts need to be tough, but not overly powerful that you need to heal every two battles.

9. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I never used the item boosts. I've never actually had a need for them. I just beat the gym leaders with good Pokemon with good moves. Making the xBoosts more useful is definitely something that could go on the list of improvements. Usually when I find them, I just sold them in the earlier games when bag space was limited.

10. Stanley Richards

Exactly, We never really needed the xBoosts because the game wasn't so hard that we needed them.

11. LuckyTrouble77

Whitney did almost push me to actually try them out, but I managed to beat her the old fashioned way.

12. Stanley Richards

Milktank didn't cause you trouble?

13. LuckyTrouble77

No, Miltank caused me lots of problems. It was actually dumb luck when I finally killed that thing.

14. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

you guys shouldve just caught a geodude in the beginning it makes it easier

15. Stanley Richards

I used a geodude as well, it still got beaten.

16. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

was it a last resort? because mine didnt have much trouble...

17. Stanley Richards

Nope, equally trained along with Tot, my totadile.

18. sarz

sarz Member

back in the old silver games ( when i was like 7 :O ? ) whitney was like the only person whom was a chanllenge , specially if youre starter was a cyndaquil and its the only thing you trained , rollout hell .... but this time in SS i managed to overkill her cux i was afraid of getting owned ... feraligatr ftw !

19. Stanley Richards

DAMN You overleved your blue crocodile

20. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

haha whitney isnt hard at all i just used Dragon rage with Dratini and her Miltank dropped... the only Gym leader ive had a problem with was Jasmine i dont have a fighting or fire type in my group(and i didnt have a pokemon over level 27) but my Espeon and Dratini stepped up and beat up that Steelix after the second time i challenged her