1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokemon Black/White Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by BigGangstaKillaC93, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Conrannex

Conrannex Guest

I just released my Archen after discovering that its ability is 'Defeatist' which halves its attack and special attack when below half its health.
    *#!@(! piece of !#@, what kind of move is that?!

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Actually, in all respects. Usefulness, looks, names, and pretty much anything else I can think of.
    Yeah, they introduced some new combinations of types, but chances are these odd types are going to be in the NU or UU category and won't see the light of day in OU.

Ground/Electric is interesting, and well as Dark/Fighting, but just by looking at their base stats and movepools and not even looking at their abilities in either normal play or dream world, they have limited usefulness.
    Bug/Electric is interesting as well, but chances are, it will stay in either UU or NU due to its pitiful base stats. 97 Special Attack is decent, but it is obviously outclassed by other ridiculous special sweepers.
    Compoundeyes is useful but only for a few attacks like Thunder and of course, it doesn't get Sleep Powder. (Galvantula) Good typing, bad stats, and mediocre movepool.

Haxorus has a decent movepool, Dragon Dance, and plenty of physical moves to augment the 147 base attack, but the rest of the base stats suck, although the 97 base speed is nice, but could be better. It really has no chance of adding considerable bulk, but you'll be obligated to invest in mostly bulk so that you can Dragon Dance and start to sweep. Nobody really runs physical Ice moves so that SpD is gonna suffer a lot. The only thing that's nice about this is that it isn't x4 weak to Ice and it's not called Salamence so hopefully, we can see this in OU. It still has to compete for the King of OU Dragons slot, Dragonite.

Druddigon looked good until I saw its base speed...and no Dragon Dance.

Cobalion (which I haven't come across yet) seems promising with it's somewhat unique typing like Lucario and it's unusual ability, which is kind of nice. The problem is now you'll have to choose between the two, and frankly, Lucario is still more versatile because it gets priority.

Even for the ones I've mentioned that were good on paper might not be so great in the field. We'll see.
    Last gen had mostly Steels in OU, and I feel this gen will add a bunch of new Darks in the mix.

3. BigGangstaKillaC93

BigGangstaKillaC93 Well-Known Member

Some guy on the GTS traded me a LV. Zorua for my LV. 50 Seismotoad. It's a breeze to level up with a lucky egg and the fact that it was traded. I working on EV training it right now. I'm trying to put more EVs into it's SP ATT. It's got a move that uses it's enemy's ATT stat against it too, which could be really useful.

4. p_wba

p_wba Well-Known Member

What nature did you get? I was fortunate enuff to get a modest Zorua off GTS

5. Devilkid32176

Devilkid32176 Well-Known Member

hmm.. i have to ask, i have a Haxorus and wanted to know if this movepool with stats was good to anyone:

Haxorus
    Lv. 92
    Nature: Rash
    Ability: Rivalry
    HP: 263
    Attack: 301
    Defense: 187
    Sp. Atk (Red): 144
    Sp. Def (Blue): 145
    Speed: 193

Moveset:
    Giga Impact
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Pulse
    Swords Dance

cause i know i have wiped pretty much most trainers in my game with this setup, but i was hoping to breed off this and get a better nature cause someone told me that the nature on mine really suck

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

That moveset is shitty like you have no idea. You have two stat-boosting moves, one of which is made totally redundant by the other (which one depends on how you want to play). Giga Impact is a terrible move, that 1-turn recharge is painful. Dragon Pulse is coming off your abysmal SpA stat and isn't boosted by either Dragon Dance OR Swords Dance. You'd be much better off with Dragon Claw or Outrage in that slot. I'm not entirely familiar with the movepool of this thing, but try the following:

- Dragon Dance/Swords Dance
    - Dragon Claw/Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Draco Meteor/Brick Break/Rock Slide (this slot is kind of hard to work with; the lack of Fire moves in the movepool hamper its coverage somewhat)

7. kenny6457

kenny6457 Well-Known Member

if you dont want it ill trade you something for it

8. Devilkid32176

well, thanks ^__^ like i said someone has told me that my haxorus sucks, but i haven't had issues in-game (due to me OHKO alot of the pokemon, then switching out haxorus then switching him back in)

also, you mean to tell me that he can't learn flamethrower?? that sucks :(

from the movepool you suggested, i might go this way with him:
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Draco meteor

but i might just keep him the way he is, and start from another Axew, what nature would be good for them? also, trying to keep the rivalry ability since i have seen a little more use out of this

9. BigGangstaKillaC93

BigGangstaKillaC93 Well-Known Member

Mine has a modest nature too. But godamnit, I was training my Zoroark in Pinwheel forest to bring up my speed EVs. I ran out of shadowballs and used hyperbeam to kill off the last Tympole and my game froze for some reason...Now I've gotta kill like 50 Tympoles all over again...

10. kenny6457

kenny6457 Well-Known Member

save every 20 or when you heal

11. Suiseiseki

Adamant or Jolly if you're not going Draco Meteor, Naive or Naughty if you are. Mold Breaker is an excellent ability as well, so don't knock it.

12. Devilkid32176

well, i seem to run into the same gender poke, but i haven't got a full grasp what mold breaker does

13. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Mold breaker

14. Devilkid32176

ah, ok so thats what it does ^__^ thank you H'

15. insanecrazy07

Here's my take.
    It has base 97 speed....and shitty defenses. Meaning, base 100s will outrun it and taunt/KO it before it even gets a chance.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue14/surprises
    That base 97 speed really hurts, especially without any decent defenses, and lack of Fire Fang or any decent Fire move and you're screwed against Skarmory like it says. I was fooled too. This is decent for PvE stuff, but as soon as the metagame is finalized, I'm sure no one will be using this.

Hydreigon seems to be more balanced, but there are still better dragons out there.

Either dragon is a decent placeholder for now, but I wouldn't put all of your time and effort into something that will be easily replaced.
    Dragonite is still better than both of these, not because it can beat these one on one, but because it can handle more threats, and be a bigger threat to the opposing team.

Versatility will always win over being extremely powerful, but having very limited uses.

16. Suiseiseki

Speaking of Dragonite, I'm interested to see what roles it can be taking now. Marvel Scale in particular could make it an excellent tank against a variety of types.

17. insanecrazy07

Multiscale.

Only if his HP is full. It's basically a free Yache Berry if no SR is in play, and then for every time he Roosts back to full. Another super-effective hit immediately after will just do normal damage...Holy shit!

18. paperboat

paperboat Well-Known Member

when will i be able to get this liberty ticket on pokemon white EUR?? or have i missed my chance?
    And I want a zorua!! So confused about these Special Event things!! >.<

And which pokemon can use false swipe??...excluding axew as I'm sorry, but I'm vain when it comes to my pokemon. I like em cute and pretty ^^

19. frostydrag0n

frostydrag0n Well-Known Member

Uhh, *bumps my question* I would really like to know coz I can't find an answer to this specific question on google. Yet.

20. DannyJames

DannyJames Member

anybody wants to trade their reshiram for a level 61 serperior just send me a pm : )