1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Piracy

Discussion in 'Debates' started by necr0, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Do you accept piracy?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Can I have permission to quote this and send it into Microsoft?
    Your name will remane anonymous.

2. sabella222

sabella222 New Member

I have 3 children all wanting games...we will buy 1 and the other 2 get "other" versions....can't afford 3 copies of every game out there

3. Alias1983

Alias1983 Well-Known Member

I cant afford a lot of things, Hell this laptop is a refurbished pos and I am steeling internet.

The majority of games I want to play just can not be found anymore and I dont want 6 or 7 systems, miles of cords and cables making a mess of an already small living situation.

I watch what I want streaming over the internet, tv as a whole is stupid, there is almost nothing on tv I want to watch.

Music, I have not bought a cd in probably 10 years, I take my flash drive to a friends and copy there music collection which is mostly shit, new music now days has sucked so bad theres nothing comming out that I really want.

Movies are mostly a joke, I will watch a movie maybe once or twice, if I really like it I will try to find it cause movies are huge.

I don't do torents, I dont do a p2p program which is the most unsafe way to pirate there is, I got out of that like what 13 years ago when lars ulric got on napsters case?

If I really want a song that someone does not have I know a couple sites I could go to to get a copy of it.
    I always look for free programs of such that I may need, why should I have to pay for it? Iam mostly going to get 1 or 2 uses out of it then its removed.

So yes I support pirating.

4. netmafia

netmafia New Member

I pirate, but I also purchase. But to only those that deserve purchasing.

5. decemberist

decemberist New Member

I feel like piracy is okay if the creator is no longer making money off his creation. I don't pirate music because the bands I like are usually not very well known and every penny counts but I like GBA roms because the company and creator are no longer making money off the product. It's insane to have a copyright on a device that is no longer being manufactured or even selling.

6. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

would you like a tissue?

7. Alias1983

Alias1983 Well-Known Member

What the fuck is your problem?

8. Nachtholm

Nachtholm Member

I have to say that I do not like piracy, but see it as a market force.
    When game publishers do not release a retro game for a single purchase, use on whatever device offering; consumers create ROM sites.
    When DRM is restrictive enough that it ruins the useability of a product; the consumer removes the offending DRM.
    When pricing scales are completely out of touch with supply and demand; the consumer pirates.

Piracy, as it stands is a symptom of an archaic business model which is completely out of touch with the demands, expectations and realities of the consumer.
    Video Games are NOT worth $60.
    Computer software is NOT worth more than $100.
    Music is NOT worth $20 for a CD which contains MAYBE 2 songs you like.
    Used games are NOT worth paying $80 for .... EVER
    NOBODY wants to pay ANY money for something they do not legally own.
    Finally, NOBODY wants to pay these prices MULTIPLE times in order to use the products on multiple devices.

That said, ROMs are not piracy so long as the product remains only available on the used market.

9. Zhuo_Xing

Zhuo_Xing Well-Known Member

The reason that I play pirated games is because games are too expensive for me,and worse is if I were to buy a game and end up not liking it,I wasted my money on that game...If the makers and sellers of the games made games as cheap as a few dollars,I would have support original games all the way.I used to detest piracy,especially copied games from original disc,but seeing that games are very expensive,I somehow changed my mind in my view of piracy.I feel for the makers and sellers of the games though :(

10. S.A.clovet

S.A.clovet Member

Piracy isn't that bad. I find it funny because some people have the money to pay for the software and they still pirate it, guess they just got used to pirating.
    For me, the meaning of piracy is, I really want your software, but I don't have money, so I'll just download it somewhere off the internet. Yes it's kinda awful for the creator of the software but think about it this way, AT LEAST people are INTERESTED in your software, they just don't have the money to buy it.
    Maybe someday software/games/music/etc. will be put at a considerable price, so everyone can enjoy and not pirate anymore. But.... I'm living in the present so yeah... pirate FTW.

11. Nachtholm

Nachtholm Member

A prime example of piracy as a market force. A properly working market for any product finds a balance between the profit a producer desires and the price a consumer is willing/able to pay. Game piracy has occurred majorly in recent years presumably as a result of game publishers ignoring consumer's complaints and general economic conditions. In short a large number of consumers are either not willing or not able to pay the $60 per game that publishers are selling at. Thus the consumer has turned to a cheaper source: The free, pirated Internet download.

12. S.A.clovet

S.A.clovet Member

I'd wish there are producers who don't really care about money but care about the enjoyment of the people playing their game. It's exactly what you said. They release a game in one country and ship it to a country where economy is not that great and they put the game up at a much higher price. I don't really understand how that works. (--, )
    Do producers study about the country's economic conditions before shipping it?

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

nothing to do with the producers, it's the distributors that set prices.

14. miros

miros Well-Known Member

I am all for supporting the developers who work super hard to publish amazing games, which is why I almost always but their games new from retail. This might be just as bad a piracy, but after I have thoroughly beaten the game and enjoyed it to the fullest I sell the now used game on eBay (I figure that people on the used game market are looking to save some cash money, and are going to buy used regardless if it is from me or some other schmoe). The funds I acquire from selling my used games goes towards the purchase of new games.
    As more people are parting with their new games, the market for used games becomes over flooded and the value for these games sinks like lead. Gamers notice these price differences (ie. 65 USD for brand new vs 30-45 USD used) and logic would certainly dictate "Go with the cheaper one, I won't even have to deal with that annoying thin plastic film or the taped edges holding the box closed". However, if everyone thought this, one would expect the number of new game sales to drop because of the cash savings, and in the long term discourage developers because of the shrinking incentive (profit) to produce their games. There would be the short term happiness of saving 20 or 30 bucks, but we MIGHT be faced with a POSSIBILITY of shrinking new game sales and thus developers not desiring to peruse their craft.
    Piracy, on the other hand, has recently been something I have been working very hard to avoid. Many people pirate games that are no longer in production or they are so old that they might not work consistently (ie. cartridge games), which is never fun but it is part of the retro gaming experience (hardcore retro gamer here). Some people pirate games because they will never be released in their region of the world and would buy these games if they could, but the opportunity to do so isn't there. Most people who pirate cannot justify spending X amount of hard earned coin for something they can get for free on the internet. This is not an exhaustive list of reasons, but I hope that it provides a sense for the varying ideologies people hold to justify their actions. Regardless of the reasons or excuses pirates tell themselves that its "ok" to "trial" games or software or whatever digital media have you, piracy still remains as stealing and I feel can never be morally permissible.
    Proponents of piracy (particularly software/game related) say things like "a lot of pirates, after stealing the software or games, actually buy the developers product later", but I strongly disagree with this as we are appealing to the exception in the overall trend that people who pirate don't want to spend money on things they can get for free. The developers who work so hard to produce these games see zero return on their work from pirated copies of their games. Pirates are stealing the results of the talented and hard working folk to develop and produce games. Imagine, if you will, you write an amazing book and get it published, but instead of people buying it, people just download a pirated digital version of your work; you won't see any of that profit. Will you be excited to publish more books, even though you may love doing what you do, there is no finical incentive to back your ventures? There might not be a perfect answer to that question, but teams of developers are presented with this dilemma, and presents a dichotomy in balancing pursing your talents and passions and your financial incentive to even try.

15. S.A.clovet

S.A.clovet Member

So the producers don't have control over distributors?

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not that kind of control. The distributor will be contracted to the publisher and the contract will require the distributor to pay x per sale to the publisher. The publisher may or may not set a minimum sale price, but other than that it's up to the distributor and/or the individual stores how the item is priced. Note that the publisher and the developer are usually separate entities as well.

17. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Developers, publishers, distributors...

And this is why it's $60 per game. Gotta fill everybody's pockets.

There's the talent, the people who leech off of the talent, and then there's those that mark up the product for no goddamn reason.

One thing I like about Steam is that they not only develop their own games, they also publish and distribute them. Maybe that's why they always have sales going on...

18. Darren01274

Darren01274 Active Member

Why don't game companies produce two versions a Game Disc only and the full package with box, manual fancy artwork etc. If they produced just a game disc version that was not at a rip off price people would opt for that version and not bother copying games! When I buy a game I do not look at the box and all the fancy packaging and say wow thats awesome, I just want to play the game!

19. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

They do don't they? I see limited editions with artwork and stuff all the time. I'm like you though, I just want to play.

20. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well onto movie piracy, in my honest opinion, the studios and cinemas are causing it.
    Here, movie tickets are starting to hit the early $20s. Way too expensive.