1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PIANO help please. Looking for new piano

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by stirgo1212, Sep 7, 2010.

1. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Ive decided that i want to start to learn the piano by myself and i would like to have one that has keys that light up and you have the option to transfer songs onto the keyboard so that you can play them while the keys light up (in the form of midi files i think). however, i dont know any piano model that can do this, so does anyone know a keyboard that can?

2. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

From a piano/Keyboard enthusiast:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05294154000P?vName=Toys%20&%20Games&cName=MusicalInstruments&Toys&sName=Keyboards%20&%20Pianos&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=05294154000P

Yamaha light-up keyboard. Has about 61 keys and a ton of voices. Bout 160 bucks from Sears. I recommend YAMAHA keyboards over other brands, namely CASIO, which are cheaper but feel HORRIBLE, with the exception of one model, http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Casio-CDP100-88Note-Weighted-Hammer-Action-Digital-Piano?sku=706083&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=33305148 (though this is not the type of keyboard you're looking for.)

I also suggest you either buy or download a lesson book. My favorite series is the John Thompson books, they are old but there are six books (1st-6th grade) That gradually get harder. You can probably get them pretty cheap from a second-hand or "re-uzit" store (where I got mine) or download scans.

Start playin, kid.

EDIT: This keyboard doesn't have the MIDI thing. It's usually done by SD card, and models that can get preeety expensive. Let me know if ya still need the feature and are willing to shell out some serious coin.

3. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Thanks, these are sort of what im looking for.

4. oxyde

oxyde Member

Wait, I suggest not those with the lights but the one with a small screen that shows a small image of the keyboard and a small dot appears to the key you should press. It has a drawing of two hands as well where each fingers will also have dots which means that is what you're suppose to play the keys with.

I'm saying that this is better than those with the lights because this shows which finger is right. It's easier to learn from too (I learned from this keyboard when I was in grade school). Try it out from music instruments stores before you buy. I swear knowing which finger to use is very substantial.